Dr. Baker serves as Vice Chair of Clinical Affairs in the Department of Psychiatry. He is a pediatric psychiatrist with over 25 years of academic and public-sector administrative experience in behavioral health, including service as Systems Chief Medical Officer of the community mental health center in Austin, Texas, Chief Executive Officer of the community center for Dallas County, and Medical Director for Behavioral Health with the Texas Department of State Health Services. He also served as Associate Chair in the Department of Psychiatry of the University of Texas at Austin Dell Medical School. Dr. Baker is a Distinguished Life Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association and a recipient of the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill Exemplary Psychiatrist Award, as well as of the Mental Health America of Greater Dallas Pamela Blumenthal Memorial Award for long-term commitment to quality of care and delivery of services to people with mental illnesses.
- Medical School
- University of Oklahoma College of Medicine (1982)
- University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (1985), Psychiatry
- Baylor College of Medicine (1987), Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
- Predicting Child-to-Adult Community Mental Health Service Continuation.
- Cohen DA, Klodnick VV, Kramer MD, Strakowski SM, Baker J, J Behav Health Serv Res 2020 07 47 3 331-345
- Accessing the public mental health system in Texas.
- Baker JG, Tex Med 2015 Feb 111 2 44-6
- Engaging community mental health stakeholders in pharmacy cost management.
- Baker JG, Psychiatr Serv 2001 May 52 5 650-3
- Using quality improvement teams to improve documentation in records at a community mental health center.
- Baker JG, Shanfield SB, Schnee S, Psychiatr Serv 2000 Feb 51 2 239-42
- Best practices: managing performance indicators for physicians in community mental health centers.
- Baker JG, Psychiatr Serv 1999 Nov 50 11 1417-9
- Perceived ideological differences, job satisfaction and organizational commitment among psychiatrists in a community mental health center.
- Baker JG, Baker DF, Community Ment Health J 1999 Feb 35 1 85-95
- A performance indicator spreadsheet for physicians in community mental health centers.
- Baker JG, Psychiatr Serv 1998 Oct 49 10 1293-4, 1298
- A spreadsheet method for calculating maximum caseload and intake capacity for CMHC psychiatrists.
- Baker JG, Psychiatr Serv 1997 Dec 48 12 1578-81
- Issues in psychotherapy with chronically-ill adolescents
- Baker JG, Butler P Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychotherapy 1987 4 186-191
- Determination of adsorption isotherms and solute activities from spreading pressure ? surface charge data
- Christian SD, Dryhurst G, Brabec V, Baker JG Journal of Colloid and Interface Science 1977 62 454-460
Public and Community Psychiatry (Primer On Series) 1st Edition
Baker JG, Baker SE (Ed.) (2020). Oxford University Press
Interfacial behavior of biologicallyimportant purines at the mercury solution interface. In Electrochemical Studies of Biological Systems
Kinoshita H, Christian SD, Kim MH, Baker JG, Dryhurst G (1977). ACS Symposium Series
Honors & Awards
- Pamela Blumenthal Memorial Award (Mental Health America of Greater Dallas)
- Exemplary Psychiatrist Award (National Alliance for the Mentally Ill)
- Distinguished Fellow, American College of Psychiatry and Neurology
- Trainee Paper Award (Society of Liaison Psychiatry)
- Resident Paper Competition (Texas Psychiatric Society)
- Undergraduate Award in Analytical Chemistry (American Chemical Society)
- American Medical Association (1986)
- Texas Medical Association (1986)
- American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (1985)
- Texas Society of Psychiatric Physicians (1984)