Dr. Mootha grew up in East Texas and received a B.S. from Baylor University. After completing an M.D. from the University of Texas Medical Branch Galveston, she did her internship at Rainbow Babies and Children's Hospital at Case Western. She then completed her pediatric residency and two years of pediatric endocrinology fellowship at the University of California San Francisco. She completed her final year of pediatric endocrinology fellowship at the University of Texas at Houston. She has been a part of the pediatric endocrinology division at the University of Texas Southwestern since 2003.
She enjoys seeing the whole spectrum of pediatric endocrinology and diabetes in her clinical practice and in having a long term relationship with her patients and their families. She has been board certified in Pediatric Endocrinology since 1998. She is a member of the Endocrine Society and American Diabetes Association.
- Medical School
- University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston (1991)
- University Hospitals of Cleveland (1992), Pediatrics
- University of California at San Francisco (1994), Pediatrics
- University of California at San Francisco (1997), Pediatric Endocrinology
- UT Health Science Center at Houston (1998), Pediatric Endocrinology
- Hypothalamic-pituitary dysfunction associated with Moyamoya disease in children.
- Mootha SL, Riley WJ, Brosnan PG J. Pediatr. Endocrinol. Metab. 1999 May-Jun 12 3 449-53
- Idiopathic hypothalamic diabetes insipidus, pituitary stalk thickening, and the occult intracranial germinoma in children and adolescents.
- Mootha SL, Barkovich AJ, Grumbach MM, Edwards MS, Gitelman SE, Kaplan SL, Conte FA J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 1997 May 82 5 1362-7
Honors & Awards
- Summa Cum Laude
Baylor University, Waco, TX (1987)
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American Diabetes Association
- The Endocrine Society