Dr. John C. Alexander is board-certified in both Anesthesiology and Pain Management. He completed his undergraduate training at Texas A&M University where he was a summa cum laude graduate with a B.S. in Biomedical Science. He then attended medical school at UT Southwestern, graduating with an M.D. with Distinction in Research and was the M.T. Pepper Jenkins Outstanding Medical Student in Anesthesiology. He completed his residency in Anesthesiology at UT Southwestern, and then his fellowship in Pain Management at the University of Cincinnati. He also completed a Masters in Business Administration from UT Dallas with a focus in healthcare leadership and management.
Dr. Alexander's primary research and clinical interests lie in interventional pain management and regional anesthesia. He serves as the Medical Director of the Regional Anesthesia Service as well as Pain Services at Parkland Hospital. He also represents the department in the Faculty Senate.
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical School (2005)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2008), Anesthesiology
- University of Cincinnati Medical Center (2010), Pain Medicine
- Graduate School
- UT Dallas/Naveen Jindal School of Management (2017)
- Regional anesthesia techniques and outcomes
- Role of technology innovation in anesthesia practice
- A review of the anesthetic implications of marijuana use.
- Alexander JC, Joshi GP, Proc (Bayl Univ Med Cent) 2019 Jul 32 3 364-371
- Ultrasound-guided suprainguinal fascia iliaca compartment block versus periarticular infiltration for pain management after total hip arthroplasty: a randomized controlled trial.
- Gasanova I, Alexander JC, Estrera K, Wells J, Sunna M, Minhajuddin A, Joshi GP Reg Anesth Pain Med 2019 Feb 44 2 206-211
- Comparison of smartphone application-based vital sign monitors without external hardware versus those used in clinical practice: a prospective trial.
- Alexander JC, Minhajuddin A, Joshi GP J Clin Monit Comput 2016 May
- Analgesic utilization before and after rescheduling of hydrocodone in a large academic level 1 trauma center.
- Schultz S, Chamberlain C, Vulcan M, Rana H, Patel B, Alexander JC J Opioid Manag 2016 Mar-Apr 12 2 119-22
- Transversus Abdominis Plane Block Versus Surgical Site Infiltration for Pain Management After Open Total Abdominal Hysterectomy.
- Gasanova I, Alexander J, Ogunnaike B, Hamid C, Rogers D, Minhajuddin A, Joshi GP Anesth. Analg. 2015 Aug
- Clonidine, but not Dexamethasone, Prolongs Ropivacaine-Induced Supraclavicular Brachial Plexus Nerve Block Duration.
- Nasir D, Gasanova I, Drummond S, Alexander J, Howard J, Melikman E, Hill G, Minhajuddin A, Ogunnaike B, Whitten C Curr Clin Pharmacol 2017 Jun
- Smartphone Application-based Medical Devices: Twenty-first Century Data Democratization or Anarchy?
- Alexander JC, Joshi GP Anesth. Analg. 2016 Aug
- Smartphone applications for chronic pain management: a critical appraisal.
- Alexander JC, Joshi GP J Pain Res 2016 9 731-734
Cervical Pain. In Handbook of Musculoskeletal Pain and Disability Disorders in the Workplace
Alexander J, Rana H, Epps W (2014). New York, NY, Springer
Honors & Awards
- Faculty of the Year
UT Southwestern Department of Anesthesiology & Pain Management (2019)
- Fellowship Faculty of the Year 2017 - Pain Management
UT Southwestern Department of Anesthesiology & Pain Management (2017)
- American Society of Regional Anesthesia (2016)
- American Society of Anesthesiologists (2009)