Dr. Kulstad received a B.S. in Chemical Engineering from the University of Maryland, and an M.S. in Chemical Engineering from the University of Houston, where he performed research in computational fluid dynamics developing advanced mathematical models of two-phase flow. Prior to pursuing a career in medicine, he developed desulfurization processes for a biotech startup company in The Woodlands, Texas. Dr. Kulstad graduated from the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School in Dallas, Texas, in 2001, and completed residency, including a final year as Chief Resident, in Emergency Medicine at Advocate Christ Medical Center in 2004. Dr. Kulstad has over 50 peer-reviewed manuscripts published, multiple patents issued or pending, and serves as an ad-hoc peer reviewer for the Annals of Emergency Medicine; Critical Care; American Journal of Emergency Medicine; Journal of International Medical Research; BMC Medical Education; Therapeutic Hypothermia and Temperature Management; BMC Emergency Medicine; Pediatrics; World Journal of Emergency Medicine; Journal of Emergencies, Trauma, and Shock; Military Medicine; and PLoS One. His current interests in emergency medicine include resuscitation and the development of innovative medical devices.
- Protecting the esophagus from thermal injury during radiofrequency ablation with an esophageal cooling device.
- Montoya MM, Mickelsen S, Clark B, Arnold M, Hanks J, Sauter E, Kulstad E, J Atr Fibrillation 2019 Feb-Mar 11 5 2110
- Shivering Treatments for Targeted Temperature Management: A Review.
- Jain A, Gray M, Slisz S, Haymore J, Badjatia N, Kulstad E J Neurosci Nurs 2017 Dec
- Intensive Blood-Pressure Lowering in Patients with Acute Cerebral Hemorrhage.
- Qureshi AI, Palesch YY, Barsan WG, Hanley DF, Hsu CY, Martin RL, Moy CS, Silbergleit R, Steiner T, Suarez JI, Toyoda K, Wang Y, Yamamoto H, Yoon BW N. Engl. J. Med. 2016 09 375 11 1033-43
- Diagnostic performance of cardiac Troponin I for early rule-in and rule-out of acute myocardial infarction: Results of a prospective multicenter trial.
- Storrow AB, Christenson RH, Nowak RM, Diercks DB, Singer AJ, Wu AH, Kulstad E, LoVecchio F, Fromm C, Headden G, Potis T, Hogan CJ, Schrock JW, Zelinski DP, Greenberg MR, Ritchie JC, Chamberlin JS, Bray KR, Rhodes DW, Trainor D, Holmes D, Southwick PC Clin. Biochem. 2015 Mar 48 4-5 254-9
- A randomized trial of protocol-based care for early septic shock.
- Yealy DM, Kellum JA, Huang DT, Barnato AE, Weissfeld LA, Pike F, Terndrup T, Wang HE, Hou PC, LoVecchio F, Filbin MR, Shapiro NI, Angus DC N. Engl. J. Med. 2014 May 370 18 1683-93
- Induction, maintenance, and reversal of therapeutic hypothermia with an esophageal heat transfer device.
- Kulstad E, Metzger AK, Courtney DM, Rees J, Shanley P, Matsuura T, McKnite S, Lurie K Resuscitation 2013 Nov 84 11 1619-24
- Trends in demographics and outcome of patients presenting with traumatic brain injury.
- Kadar R, Rochford D, Omi E, Thomas Y, Patel K, Kulstad E, Clin Exp Emerg Med 2019 Apr
- Clinical Outcomes in Patients Taking Inhaled Loxapine, Haloperidol, or Ziprasidone in the Emergency Department.
- McDowell M, Nitti K, Kulstad E, Cirone M, Shah R, Rochford D, Walsh R, Hesse K Clin Neuropharmacol 2019 Feb
- Esophageal Temperature Management in Patients Suffering from Traumatic Brain Injury.
- Bhatti F, Naiman M, Tsarev A, Kulstad E Ther Hypothermia Temp Manag 2019 Jan
- Microcirculatory perfusion disturbances in septic shock: results from the ProCESS trial.
- Massey MJ, Hou PC, Filbin M, Wang H, Ngo L, Huang DT, Aird WC, Novack V, Trzeciak S, Yealy DM, Kellum JA, Angus DC, Shapiro NI Crit Care 2018 Nov 22 1 308
Honors & Awards
- European Heart Rhythm Association - Innovation Stage Finalist
Innovation stage presentation "Multi-lumen silicone tube for esophageal cooling and warming" (2019)
- AAEM Young Educator Award
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
- Annals of Emergency Medicine Top 50 Peer Reviewer Award 2005, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011
- Senior Reviewer, Annals of Emergency Medicine, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
- Heart Rhythm Society (2018)
- European Society of Cardiology (2017)
- Neurocritical Care Society (2016)
- Society of Critical Care Medicine (2015)
- Chicago Metropolitan Trauma Society (2006-2014)
- Illinois College of Emergency Physicians - Research Committee (2006-2016)
- American College of Emergency Physicians (2004)
- Society for Academic Emergency Medicine (2004)
- American Academy of Emergency Medicine (2001-2011)