Dr. Kulstad received a B.S. in Chemical Engineering from the University of Maryland, and an M.S. in Chemical Engineering from the University of Houston, where he performed research in computational fluid dynamics developing advanced mathematical models of two-phase flow. Prior to pursuing a career in medicine, he developed desulfurization processes for a biotech startup company in The Woodlands, Texas. Dr. Kulstad graduated from the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School in Dallas, Texas, in 2001, and completed residency, including a final year as Chief Resident, in Emergency Medicine at Advocate Christ Medical Center in 2004. Dr. Kulstad has over 50 peer-reviewed manuscripts published, multiple patents issued or pending, and serves as an ad-hoc peer reviewer for the Annals of Emergency Medicine; Critical Care; American Journal of Emergency Medicine; Journal of International Medical Research; BMC Medical Education; Therapeutic Hypothermia and Temperature Management; BMC Emergency Medicine; Pediatrics; World Journal of Emergency Medicine; Journal of Emergencies, Trauma, and Shock; Military Medicine; and PLoS One. His current interests in emergency medicine include resuscitation and the development of innovative medical devices.
- Shivering Treatments for Targeted Temperature Management: A Review.
- Jain A, Gray M, Slisz S, Haymore J, Badjatia N, Kulstad E J Neurosci Nurs 2017 Dec
- Intensive Blood-Pressure Lowering in Patients with Acute Cerebral Hemorrhage.
- Qureshi AI, Palesch YY, Barsan WG, Hanley DF, Hsu CY, Martin RL, Moy CS, Silbergleit R, Steiner T, Suarez JI, Toyoda K, Wang Y, Yamamoto H, Yoon BW N. Engl. J. Med. 2016 09 375 11 1033-43
- Absolute and relative changes (delta) in troponin I for early diagnosis of myocardial infarction: Results of a prospective multicenter trial.
- Storrow AB, Nowak RM, Diercks DB, Singer AJ, Wu AH, Kulstad E, LoVecchio F, Fromm C, Headden G, Potis T, Hogan CJ, Schrock JW, Zelinski DP, Greenberg MR, Christenson RH, Ritchie JC, Chamberlin JS, Bray KR, Rhodes DW, Trainor D, Southwick PC Clin. Biochem. 2015 Mar 48 4-5 260-7
- Diagnostic performance of cardiac Troponin I for early rule-in and rule-out of acute myocardial infarction: Results of a prospective multicenter trial.
- Storrow AB, Christenson RH, Nowak RM, Diercks DB, Singer AJ, Wu AH, Kulstad E, LoVecchio F, Fromm C, Headden G, Potis T, Hogan CJ, Schrock JW, Zelinski DP, Greenberg MR, Ritchie JC, Chamberlin JS, Bray KR, Rhodes DW, Trainor D, Holmes D, Southwick PC Clin. Biochem. 2015 Mar 48 4-5 254-9
- A randomized trial of protocol-based care for early septic shock.
- Yealy DM, Kellum JA, Huang DT, Barnato AE, Weissfeld LA, Pike F, Terndrup T, Wang HE, Hou PC, LoVecchio F, Filbin MR, Shapiro NI, Angus DC N. Engl. J. Med. 2014 May 370 18 1683-93
- Induction, maintenance, and reversal of therapeutic hypothermia with an esophageal heat transfer device.
- Kulstad E, Metzger AK, Courtney DM, Rees J, Shanley P, Matsuura T, McKnite S, Lurie K Resuscitation 2013 Nov 84 11 1619-24
- Re: "Feasibility of a Miniature Esophageal Heat Exchange Device for Rapid Therapeutic Cooling in Newborns: Preliminary Investigations in a Piglet Model" by Dingley et al. (Ther Hypothermia Temp Manag 2018;8:36-44).
- Slisz S, Silva R, Kulstad E Ther Hypothermia Temp Manag 2018 Mar 8 1 2-3
- Esophageal Heat Transfer for Patient Temperature Control and Targeted Temperature Management.
- Naiman MI, Gray M, Haymore J, Hegazy AF, Markota A, Badjatia N, Kulstad EB J Vis Exp 2017 Nov 129
- Early, Goal-Directed Therapy for Septic Shock - A Patient-Level Meta-Analysis.
- Rowan KM, Angus DC, Bailey M, Barnato AE, Bellomo R, Canter RR, Coats TJ, Delaney A, Gimbel E, Grieve RD, Harrison DA, Higgins AM, Howe B, Huang DT, Kellum JA, Mouncey PR, Music E, Peake SL, Pike F, Reade MC, Sadique MZ, Singer M, Yealy DM N. Engl. J. Med. 2017 06 376 23 2223-2234
- A Novel Approach for the Administration of Medications and Fluids in Emergency Scenarios and Settings.
- Honasoge A, Lyons N, Hesse K, Parker B, Mokszycki R, Wesselhoff K, Sweis R, Kulstad EB J Vis Exp 2016 Nov 117
Honors & Awards
- AAEM Young Educator Award
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
- Annals of Emergency Medicine Top 50 Peer Reviewer Award 2005, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011
- Senior Reviewer, Annals of Emergency Medicine, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
- Chicago Metropolitan Trauma Society (2006)
- Illinois College of Emergency Physicians - Research Committee (2006-2016)
- American College of Emergency Physicians (2004)
- Society for Academic Emergency Medicine (2004)
- American Academy of Emergency Medicine (2001-2011)