Ilya Bezprozvanny received M.Sci in Physics (1989, with honors) from the Peter the Great St Petersburg Polytechnical University, St Petersburg, Russia and a Ph.D. in Cell Biology (1992) from the Institute of Cytology Russian Academy of Sciences in St Petersburg, Russia (scientific advisors - Alex P. Naumov and Galina N. Mozhayeva). Ilya performed his postdoctoral training with Barbara E. Ehrlich (1990-1994) at the University of Connecticut Health Center at Farmington, Connecticut and then with Richard W. Tsien (1994-1996) at the Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford, California. In 1996, Ilya joined the faculty of UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas as an Assistant Professor in the department of Physiology. He was promoted to an Associate Professor (2002) and to a Professor (2007) in the same department. Since 2011 Ilya also holds Carl J. and Hortense M. Thomsen Chair in Alzheimer’s Disease Research.
- Graduate School
- Leningrad Polytechnic Institut (1988), Physics
- Graduate School
- St Petersburg Technical Instit (1992), Cell Biology
- Alzheimers disease
- Calcium channels and synaptic function
- Calcium signaling
- Huntingtons disease
- SpineTool is an open-source software for analysis of morphology of dendritic spines.
- Ekaterina P, Peter V, Smirnova D, Vyacheslav C, Ilya B, Sci Rep 2023 Jun 13 1 10561
- A Gating Mutation in Ryanodine Receptor Type 2 Rescues Phenotypes of Alzheimer's Disease Mouse Models by Upregulating Neuronal Autophagy.
- Zhang H, Knight C, Chen SRW, Bezprozvanny I, J Neurosci 2023 Feb 43 8 1441-1454
- Alzheimer's disease - Where do we go from here?
- Bezprozvanny I, Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2022 Dec 633 72-76
- The role of sigma 1 receptor in organization of endoplasmic reticulum signaling microdomains.
- Zhemkov V, Ditlev JA, Lee WR, Wilson M, Liou J, Rosen MK, Bezprozvanny I, Elife 2021 May 10
- Reduced Synaptic STIM2 Expression and Impaired Store-Operated Calcium Entry Cause Destabilization of Mature Spines in Mutant Presenilin Mice.
- Sun S, Zhang H, Liu J, Popugaeva E, Xu NJ, Feske S, White CL, Bezprozvanny I Neuron 2014 Apr 82 1 79-93
- Selective positive modulator of calcium-activated potassium channels exerts beneficial effects in a mouse model of spinocerebellar ataxia type 2.
- Kasumu AW, Hougaard C, Rode F, Jacobsen TA, Sabatier JM, Eriksen BL, Strøbæk D, Liang X, Egorova P, Vorontsova D, Christophersen P, Rønn LC, Bezprozvanny I Chem. Biol. 2012 Oct 19 10 1340-53
- Secondary structure of Huntingtin amino-terminal region.
- Kim MW, Chelliah Y, Kim SW, Otwinowski Z, Bezprozvanny I Structure 2009 Sep 17 9 1205-12
- Calcium signaling and neurodegenerative diseases.
- Bezprozvanny I Trends Mol Med 2009 Mar 15 3 89-100
- Neuronal calcium mishandling and the pathogenesis of Alzheimer's disease.
- Bezprozvanny I, Mattson MP Trends Neurosci. 2008 Sep 31 9 454-63
- Presenilins form ER Ca2+ leak channels, a function disrupted by familial Alzheimer's disease-linked mutations.
- Tu H, Nelson O, Bezprozvanny A, Wang Z, Lee SF, Hao YH, Serneels L, De Strooper B, Yu G, Bezprozvanny I Cell 2006 Sep 126 5 981-93
- Biophysical Society, Member
- Member of Cell Calcium Editorial Board (2006)
- Member of FACULTY of 1000 (2010)
- Member of J. Biological Chemistry Editorial Board (2014)
- Member of Messenger Editorial Board (2012)
- Society for Neuroscience, Member