Dr. Farag is originally from Egypt and received his undergraduate studies in PharmaceuticalSciences at Ain Shams University, Egypt in 2003. He specialized in Medicinal Chemistry in his postgraduate studies with Prof. G. Elgemeie ( MSc, PhD) focusing on synthesis of thioglycosides targeting different cancer cells. In 2015, after his PhD he started his postdoctoral training at Dusseldorf, Germany in the laboratory of Prof. Kurz focusing on the development of synthetically useful small molecules targeting HDAC.
Dr. Farag was an Associate Professor in the School of Pharmacy at Ahram Canadian University where he conducted radio-pharmaceutical chemistry research before joining UT Southwestern. Dr. Farag came to UTSW with a strong background in development of synthetic methodologies for the creation of new agents, synthesis and characterization of new compounds and looks forward to integrate his medicinal and computational chemistry experience targeting cardiac problems in Dr. Hesham Sadek’s laboratory.
- Computational Chemistry
- Medicinal Chemistry
- Radio-pharmaceutical Chemistry
- Design, synthesis, and biological evaluation of novel amide and hydrazide based thioether analogs targeting Histone deacteylase (HDAC) enzymes.
- Farag AB, Ewida HA, Ahmed MS, Eur J Med Chem 2018 Mar 148 73-85
- Design, synthesis, molecular docking and anti-hepatocellular carcinoma evaluation of novel acyclic pyridine thioglycosides.
- Elgemeie GH, Fathy NM, Farag AB, Alkhursani SA, Nucleosides Nucleotides Nucleic Acids 2018 Mar 37 3 186-198
- Antimetabolites: Design, synthesis, and cytotoxic evaluation of novel dihydropyridine thioglycosides and pyridine thioglycosides.
- Elgemeie GH, Fathy NM, Farag AB, Alkursani SA, Nucleosides Nucleotides Nucleic Acids 2017 May 36 5 355-377
- Design, synthesis, and in vitro anti-hepatocellular carcinoma of novel thymine thioglycoside analogs as new antimetabolic agents.
- Elgemeie GH, Farag AB, Nucleosides Nucleotides Nucleic Acids 2017 May 36 5 328-342
- S-glycosides in medicinal chemistry: Novel synthesis of cyanoethylene thioglycosides and their pyrazole derivatives.
- Elgemeie G, Fathy N, Zaghary W, Farag A, Nucleosides Nucleotides Nucleic Acids 2017 Mar 36 3 198-212