Andrew Clark, PhD, D(ABMM) is the Associate Director of Microbiology at Clements University Hospital at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center. Dr. Clark received his undergraduate, masters, and doctoral degrees in Microbiology at the University of Arizona, Tucson AZ. Following completion of his graduate studies, he then completed a CPEP-accredited postdoctoral fellowship training program in Clinical and Public Health Microbiology at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, MD. Dr. Clark is board certified in Medical and Public Health Microbiology by the American Board of Medical Microbiology. His research and academic interests are focused on antimicrobial susceptibility testing in the clinical microbiology laboratory. He is also interested in the pathophysiology and antimicrobial resistance of anaerobic bacteria, and the evaluation and implementation of novel diagnostic technologies.
- Undergraduate School
- University of Arizona (2006)
- Graduate School
- University of Arizona (2009)
- Graduate School
- University of Arizona (2017)
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) (2019)
- Antimicrobial resistance mechanisms and pathophysiology of anaerobic bacteria
- Antimicrobial susceptibility testing
- Evaluation of diagnostic technologies and diagnostic test utilization in the clinical microbiology laboratory
- Clinically undetected polyclonal heteroresistance among Pseudomonas aeruginosa isolated from cystic fibrosis respiratory specimens.
- Maxwell DN, Kim J, Pybus CA, White L, Medford RJ, Filkins LM, Monogue ML, Rae MM, Desai D, Clark AE, Zhan X, Greenberg DE, J Antimicrob Chemother 2022 Oct
- Multiplex Fragment Analysis for Flexible Detection of All SARS-CoV-2 Variants of Concern.
- Clark AE, Wang Z, Ostman E, Zheng H, Yao H, Cantarel B, Kanchwala M, Xing C, Chen L, Irwin P, Xu Y, Oliver D, Lee FM, Gagan JR, Filkins L, Muthukumar A, Park JY, Sarode R, SoRelle JA, Clin Chem 2022 May
- The Alternative Sigma Factor SigL Influences Clostridioides difficile Toxin Production, Sporulation, and Cell Surface Properties.
- Clark AE, Adamson CC, Carothers KE, Roxas BAP, Viswanathan VK, Vedantam G, Front Microbiol 2022 13 871152
- Manual Reading of Sensititre? Broth Microdilution System Panels Improves Accuracy of Susceptibility Reporting for Polymyxin Antibiotics.
- Bellerose MM, Clark AE, Youn JH, Weingarten RA, Crooks CM, Dekker JP, Frank KM, J Clin Microbiol 2021 Jun JCM0033221
- SARS-CoV-2 coinfections with variant genomic lineages identified by multiplex fragment analysis.
- Lueking R, Clark AE, Narasimhan M, Mahimainathan L, Muthukumar A, Larsen CP, SoRelle JA, Front Genet 2022 13 942713
- Serological Response in Lung Transplant Recipients after Two Doses of SARS-CoV-2 mRNA Vaccines.
- Narasimhan M, Mahimainathan L, Clark AE, Usmani A, Cao J, Araj E, Torres F, Sarode R, Kaza V, Lacelle C, Muthukumar A, Vaccines (Basel) 2021 Jun 9 7
- Clinical Evaluation of the Abbott Alinity SARS-CoV-2 Spike-Specific Quantitative IgG and IgM Assays among Infected, Recovered, and Vaccinated Groups.
- Narasimhan M, Mahimainathan L, Araj E, Clark AE, Markantonis J, Green A, Xu J, SoRelle JA, Alexis C, Fankhauser K, Parikh H, Wilkinson K, Reczek A, Kopplin N, Yekkaluri S, Balani J, Thomas A, Singal AG, Sarode R, Muthukumar A, J Clin Microbiol 2021 06 59 7 e0038821
- Expanding COVID-19 Vaccine Availability: Role for Combined Orthogonal Serology Testing (COST).
- Narasimhan M, Mahimainathan L, Araj E, Clark AE, Wilkinson K, Yekkaluri S, Tiro J, Lee FM, Balani J, Sarode R, Singal AG, Muthukumar A, Vaccines (Basel) 2021 Apr 9 4
- Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) Screening With Specimen Pools: Time to Swim, or Too Deep for Comfort?
- Clark AE, Lee FM, Clin Infect Dis 2020 Sep
- Saliva for use with a point of care assay for the rapid diagnosis of COVID-19.
- SoRelle JA, Mahimainathan L, McCormick-Baw C, Cavuoti D, Lee F, Thomas A, Sarode R, Clark AE, Muthukumar A, Clinica chimica acta; international journal of clinical chemistry 2020 Sep
Anaerboic Bacteriology: 4.9: Rapid Biochemical Tests (4 Hours or Less) for the Identification of Anaerobes. In Clinical Microbiology Procedures Handbook
Margaret Ordonez-Smith de Danies and Andrew E. Clark (2022). Washington, DC, ASM Press
- American Society for Microbiology (2013)