Having performed his doctoral and postdoctoral studies under the guidance of Daniel Atkinson at UCLA (1985 – 1990) and Earl Stadtman at NIH (1990 – 1995), Dr. Szweda received exceptional training in metabolism, enzyme regulation, and free radical biology. His independent research began at Case Western Reserve University (1995 – 2005) and continued at the Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation (2005 – 2017) where he served as chair of the Aging and Metabolism Research Program. Research in Dr. Szweda’s laboratory focuses on mechanisms by which diet and age induce changes in cardiac and mitochondrial metabolism, influence the redox status within cardiomyocytes, and initiate and drive insulin resistance and cardiovascular disease. Dr. Szweda chose to join the faculty at UTSW because his expertise and research complement and are enhanced by the scientific environment of UTSW.
- Carleton College (1982), Chemistry
- Graduate School
- University of California UCLA (1990), Biochemistry
- Cardiac and Mitochondrial Metabolism
- Diet-induced Insulin Resistance and Cardiovascular Disease
- Heart Regeneration
- Redox Signaling
- Regulation of Pyruvate Dehydrogenase
- Regulation of Pyruvate Dehydrogenase Kinase 4 in the Heart through Degradation by the Lon Protease in Response to Mitochondrial Substrate Availability.
- Crewe C, Schafer C, Lee I, Kinter M, Szweda LI J. Biol. Chem. 2017 Jan 292 1 305-312
- Hypoxia induces heart regeneration in adult mice.
- Nakada Y, Canseco DC, Thet S, Abdisalaam S, Asaithamby A, Santos CX, Shah AM, Zhang H, Faber JE, Kinter MT, Szweda LI, Xing C, Hu Z, Deberardinis RJ, Schiattarella G, Hill JA, Oz O, Lu Z, Zhang CC, Kimura W, Sadek HA Nature 2017 01 541 7636 222-227
- Catalase-dependent H2O2 consumption by cardiac mitochondria and redox-mediated loss in insulin signaling.
- Rindler PM, Cacciola A, Kinter M, Szweda LI Am. J. Physiol. Heart Circ. Physiol. 2016 Nov 311 5 H1091-H1096
- Lysine Acetylation Activates Mitochondrial Aconitase in the Heart.
- Fernandes J, Weddle A, Kinter CS, Humphries KM, Mather T, Szweda LI, Kinter M Biochemistry 2015 Jun 54 25 4008-18
- The oxygen-rich postnatal environment induces cardiomyocyte cell-cycle arrest through DNA damage response.
- Puente BN, Kimura W, Muralidhar SA, Moon J, Amatruda JF, Phelps KL, Grinsfelder D, Rothermel BA, Chen R, Garcia JA, Santos CX, Thet S, Mori E, Kinter MT, Rindler PM, Zacchigna S, Mukherjee S, Chen DJ, Mahmoud AI, Giacca M, Rabinovitch PS, Aroumougame A, Shah AM, Szweda LI, Sadek HA Cell 2014 Apr 157 3 565-79
- Rapid inhibition of pyruvate dehydrogenase: an initiating event in high dietary fat-induced loss of metabolic flexibility in the heart.
- Crewe C, Kinter M, Szweda LI PLoS ONE 2013 8 10 e77280
- Reperfusion-induced translocation of deltaPKC to cardiac mitochondria prevents pyruvate dehydrogenase reactivation.
- Churchill EN, Murriel CL, Chen CH, Mochly-Rosen D, Szweda LI Circ. Res. 2005 Jul 97 1 78-85
- Frataxin acts as an iron chaperone protein to modulate mitochondrial aconitase activity.
- Bulteau AL, O'Neill HA, Kennedy MC, Ikeda-Saito M, Isaya G, Szweda LI Science 2004 Jul 305 5681 242-5
- Reversible inactivation of alpha-ketoglutarate dehydrogenase in response to alterations in the mitochondrial glutathione status.
- Nulton-Persson AC, Starke DW, Mieyal JJ, Szweda LI Biochemistry 2003 Apr 42 14 4235-42
- Declines in mitochondrial respiration during cardiac reperfusion: age-dependent inactivation of alpha-ketoglutarate dehydrogenase.
- Lucas DT, Szweda LI Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 1999 Jun 96 12 6689-93
Honors & Awards
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Established Investigator Award
American Heart Association (2000-2004)
- Individual National Research Service Award
U.S. Public Health Service (1990)
- Intramural Research Training Award
National Institutes of Health (1990-1994)
- American Heart Association (1996)
- American Chemical Society (1994)
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (1991)
- American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (1990)