Dr. Zhu is originally from China and received his initial training in molecular pharmacology from Shanghai Institute of Materia Medica, Chinese Academy of Sciences, and then worked as a research associate at The Scripps Research Institute in Florida, where he studied energy metabolism. He brings to UTSW a strong background in pathophysiology in obesity and metabolism studies. He currently specializes in adipose biology, liver fibrosis and crosstalk between adipocyte and other cells.
- Adipose Biology
- Liver Fibrosis
- Obesity and Metabolic Diseases
- Immunologic and endocrine functions of adipose tissue: implications for kidney disease.
- Zhu Q, Scherer PE Nat Rev Nephrol 2017 Dec
- Global IP6K1 deletion enhances temperature modulated energy expenditure which reduces carbohydrate and fat induced weight gain.
- Zhu Q, Ghoshal S, Tyagi R, Chakraborty A, Mol Metab 2017 01 6 1 73-85
- Adipocyte-specific deletion of Ip6k1 reduces diet-induced obesity by enhancing AMPK-mediated thermogenesis.
- Zhu Q, Ghoshal S, Rodrigues A, Gao S, Asterian A, Kamenecka TM, Barrow JC, Chakraborty A, J. Clin. Invest. 2016 11 126 11 4273-4288
- TNP [N2-(m-Trifluorobenzyl), N6-(p-nitrobenzyl)purine] ameliorates diet induced obesity and insulin resistance via inhibition of the IP6K1 pathway.
- Ghoshal S, Zhu Q, Asteian A, Lin H, Xu H, Ernst G, Barrow JC, Xu B, Cameron MD, Kamenecka TM, Chakraborty A Mol Metab 2016 Oct 5 10 903-17
- Inositol hexakisphosphate kinase-1 interacts with perilipin1 to modulate lipolysis.
- Ghoshal S, Tyagi R, Zhu Q, Chakraborty A, Int. J. Biochem. Cell Biol. 2016 09 78 149-155
- Therapeutic effects of adropin on glucose tolerance and substrate utilization in diet-induced obese mice with insulin resistance.
- Gao S, McMillan RP, Zhu Q, Lopaschuk GD, Hulver MW, Butler AA, Mol Metab 2015 Apr 4 4 310-24
- Regulation of Substrate Oxidation Preferences in Muscle by the Peptide Hormone Adropin.
- Gao S, McMillan RP, Jacas J, Zhu Q, Li X, Kumar GK, Casals N, Hegardt FG, Robbins PD, Lopaschuk GD, Hulver MW, Butler AA Diabetes 2014 May
- Discovery of novel dual-action antidiabetic agents that inhibit glycogen phosphorylase and activate glucokinase.
- Zhang L, Chen X, Liu J, Zhu Q, Leng Y, Luo X, Jiang H, Liu H Eur J Med Chem 2012 Dec 58 624-39
- Design, synthesis, and pharmacological evaluation of benzamide derivatives as glucokinase activators.
- Mao W, Ning M, Liu Z, Zhu Q, Leng Y, Zhang A Bioorg. Med. Chem. 2012 May 20 9 2982-91
- Design, synthesis, and pharmacological evaluation of N-(4-mono and 4,5-disubstituted thiazol-2-yl)-2-aryl-3-(tetrahydro-2H-pyran-4-yl)propanamides as glucokinase activators.
- Li F, Zhu Q, Zhang Y, Feng Y, Leng Y, Zhang A, Bioorg. Med. Chem. 2010 Jun 18 11 3875-84
- American Diabetes Association (2019)