Qingzhang Zhu, Ph.D., is an Instructor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center.
Dr. Zhu earned his doctorate in pharmacology from the Shanghai Institute of Materia Medica. He completed a postdoctoral fellowship in metabolism under Dr. Philipp Scherer at UT Southwestern Medical Center.
Dr. Zhu joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2020.
- Adipose Biology
- Liver Fibrosis
- Obesity and Metabolic Diseases
- Immunologic and endocrine functions of adipose tissue: implications for kidney disease.
- Zhu Q, Scherer PE Nat Rev Nephrol 2017 Dec
- Global IP6K1 deletion enhances temperature modulated energy expenditure which reduces carbohydrate and fat induced weight gain.
- Zhu Q, Ghoshal S, Tyagi R, Chakraborty A, Mol Metab 2017 01 6 1 73-85
- Adipocyte-specific deletion of Ip6k1 reduces diet-induced obesity by enhancing AMPK-mediated thermogenesis.
- Zhu Q, Ghoshal S, Rodrigues A, Gao S, Asterian A, Kamenecka TM, Barrow JC, Chakraborty A, J. Clin. Invest. 2016 11 126 11 4273-4288
- TNP [N2-(m-Trifluorobenzyl), N6-(p-nitrobenzyl)purine] ameliorates diet induced obesity and insulin resistance via inhibition of the IP6K1 pathway.
- Ghoshal S, Zhu Q, Asteian A, Lin H, Xu H, Ernst G, Barrow JC, Xu B, Cameron MD, Kamenecka TM, Chakraborty A Mol Metab 2016 Oct 5 10 903-17
- Inositol hexakisphosphate kinase-1 interacts with perilipin1 to modulate lipolysis.
- Ghoshal S, Tyagi R, Zhu Q, Chakraborty A, Int. J. Biochem. Cell Biol. 2016 09 78 149-155
- Therapeutic effects of adropin on glucose tolerance and substrate utilization in diet-induced obese mice with insulin resistance.
- Gao S, McMillan RP, Zhu Q, Lopaschuk GD, Hulver MW, Butler AA, Mol Metab 2015 Apr 4 4 310-24
- Regulation of Substrate Oxidation Preferences in Muscle by the Peptide Hormone Adropin.
- Gao S, McMillan RP, Jacas J, Zhu Q, Li X, Kumar GK, Casals N, Hegardt FG, Robbins PD, Lopaschuk GD, Hulver MW, Butler AA Diabetes 2014 May
- Discovery of novel dual-action antidiabetic agents that inhibit glycogen phosphorylase and activate glucokinase.
- Zhang L, Chen X, Liu J, Zhu Q, Leng Y, Luo X, Jiang H, Liu H Eur J Med Chem 2012 Dec 58 624-39
- Design, synthesis, and pharmacological evaluation of benzamide derivatives as glucokinase activators.
- Mao W, Ning M, Liu Z, Zhu Q, Leng Y, Zhang A Bioorg. Med. Chem. 2012 May 20 9 2982-91
- Design, synthesis, and pharmacological evaluation of N-(4-mono and 4,5-disubstituted thiazol-2-yl)-2-aryl-3-(tetrahydro-2H-pyran-4-yl)propanamides as glucokinase activators.
- Li F, Zhu Q, Zhang Y, Feng Y, Leng Y, Zhang A, Bioorg. Med. Chem. 2010 Jun 18 11 3875-84
Honors & Awards
- Career Development Award, American Heart Association
- American Heart Association (2020)