Dr. Traci Tiemann Betts is a Board-Certified Clinical Specialist in Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Physical Therapy with clinical, teaching, supervisory, research, and administrative duties in the Department of Physical Therapy.
Clinical responsibilities include physical therapy practice at UT Southwestern with persons who suffer from cardiovascular and/or pulmonary dysfunction, musculoskeletal dysfunction, and general debility. Teaching and supervisory roles include didactic instruction focusing on cardiopulmonary patient management, acute care physical therapy, and pharmacology, as well as student advising, student mentoring, and physical therapy resident mentoring. Dr. Betts also serves as the program director for the UT Southwestern Cardiovascular & Pulmonary Physical Therapy Residency Program which is accredited by the APTA.
Additionally, Dr. Betts participates in clinical reserach aimed at impacting functional outcomes for patients with heart failure with preserved ejection fraction in connection with the UTSW Internal Medicine's Cardiometabolic Research Unit.
- Graduate School
- UT Southwestern Medical Center School of Health Professions (2010), Physical Therapy
- Duke University Health System (2013), Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Physical Therapy
- Early Mobility in the ICU Setting
- Physical Therapy in Critical Illness
- Rehabilitation for patients with Heart Failure with Preserved Ejection Fraction
- Frailty Status Modifies the Efficacy of ICD Therapy for Primary Prevention Among Patients With HF.
- Segar MW, Keshvani N, Singh S, Patel L, Parsa S, Betts T, Reeves GR, Mentz RJ, Forman DE, Razavi M, Saeed M, Kitzman DW, Pandey A, JACC Heart Fail 2023 Jul
Pulmonary Diagnostic Tests and Procedures.. In Essentials of Cardiopulmonary Physical Therapy Fourth Edition
Hillegass, Ellen (Ed.) (2016). Elsevier
Pulmonary Diagnostic Tests and Procedures and Thoracic Organ Transplant: Heart and Lung.. In Essentials of Cardiopulmonary Physical Therapy Fifth Edition
Hillegass, Ellen (Ed.) (2022). Elsevier
Honors & Awards
- 2021 SHP Faculty Award for Clinical Excellence
This award is given to a faculty member who has demonstrated sustained excellence in patient care and building the clinical enterprise for the UTSW School of Health Professions.
- 2023 Mentoring Award; Academy of Cardiovascular & Pulmonary Physical Therapy
This award recognizes members of the Academy of Cardiovascular & Pulmonary Physical Therapy whose careers have resulted in the mentoring of professionals who have gone on to serve others through their teaching, scholarship and clinical practice.
- Academy of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Physical Therapy (2011)
- American Physical Therapy Association (2008)