Waleed Elhelaly, Ph.D.
Department Internal Medicine
Waleed Elhelaly, Ph.D., is an Assistant Instructor of the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center, and a member of its Division of Cardiology.
Originally from Egypt, Dr. Elhelaly earned his medical degree at Ain Shams University in Cairo. He also holds a master’s degree in Histology and Biochemistry and earned his doctorate in histology and cytogenetics from Cairo University in Egypt. Dr. Elhelaly then traveled to conduct his postdoctoral research in the field of studying/enhancing cardiac regeneration under the mentorship of Sadek Hesham, M.D., Ph.D. at UT Southwestern Medical Center.
Dr. Elhelaly’s research interests include driving adult mammalian cardiomyocytes' cell cycle-reentry through discovering novel transcriptional regulation pathways and exploring mammalian valve regenerative capacity. His investigations have resulted in 7 publications in peer-reviewed journals. Additionally, he has presented his findings at scientific conferences throughout the United States and around the world.
Dr. Elhelaly is active in several professional organizations, including The American Society of Echocardiography and the American Heart Association, where he serves as a reviewer on the regenerative study section.
During his free time, Dr. Elhelaly enjoys cooking, tennis, watching history documentaries, and spending time with his family.
- Cardiomyocyte Cell Cycle Re-entry
- Mammalian Valve Regeneration
- PKM1 Exerts Critical Roles in Cardiac Remodeling Under Pressure Overload in the Heart.
- Li Q, Li C, Elnwasany A, Sharma G, An YA, Zhang G, Elhelaly WM, Lin J, Gong Y, Chen G, Wang MH, Zhao S, Dai C, Smart CD, Liu J, Luo X, Deng Y, Tan L, Lv SJ, Davidson SM, Locasale JW, Lorenzi PL, Malloy CR, Gillette TG, Vander Heiden MG, Scherer PE, Szweda LI, Fu G, Wang ZV, Circulation 2021 Jun
- Mechanism of Eccentric Cardiomyocyte Hypertrophy Secondary to Severe Mitral Regurgitation.
- Li S, Nguyen NUN, Xiao F, Menendez-Montes I, Nakada Y, Tan WLW, Anene-Nzelu CG, Foo RS, Thet S, Cardoso AC, Wang P, Elhelaly WM, Lam NT, Pereira AHM, Hill JA, Sadek HA, Circulation 2020 06 141 22 1787-1799
- A calcineurin-Hoxb13 axis regulates growth mode of mammalian cardiomyocytes.
- Nguyen NUN, Canseco DC, Xiao F, Nakada Y, Li S, Lam NT, Muralidhar SA, Savla JJ, Hill JA, Le V, Zidan KA, El-Feky HW, Wang Z, Ahmed MS, Hubbi ME, Menendez-Montes I, Moon J, Ali SR, Le V, Villalobos E, Mohamed MS, Elhelaly WM, Thet S, Anene-Nzelu CG, Tan WLW, Foo RS, Meng X, Kanchwala M, Xing C, Roy J, Cyert MS, Rothermel BA, Sadek HA, Nature 2020 06 582 7811 271-276
- Mitochondrial Substrate Utilization Regulates Cardiomyocyte Cell Cycle Progression.
- Cardoso AC, Lam NT, Savla JJ, Nakada Y, Pereira AHM, Elnwasany A, Menendez-Montes I, Ensley EL, Petric UB, Sharma G, Sherry AD, Malloy CR, Khemtong C, Kinter MT, Tan WLW, Anene-Nzelu CG, Foo RS, Nguyen NUN, Li S, Ahmed MS, Elhelaly WM, Abdisalaam S, Asaithamby A, Xing C, Kanchwala M, Vale G, Eckert KM, Mitsche MA, McDonald JG, Hill JA, Huang L, Shaul PW, Szweda LI, Sadek HA, Nat Metab 2020 02 2 2 167-178
- C-Kit Cells Do Not Significantly Contribute to Cardiomyogenesis During Neonatal Heart Regeneration.
- Elhelaly WM, Cardoso AC, Pereira AHM, Elnawasany A, Ebrahimi S, Nakada Y, Sadek HA, Circulation 2019 01 139 4 559-561
- Redox Regulation of Heart Regeneration: An Evolutionary Tradeoff.
- Elhelaly WM, Lam NT, Hamza M, Xia S, Sadek HA, Front Cell Dev Biol 2016 4 137
Honors & Awards
- AHA Postdoctoral Fellowship
Role of Mlf1 in Heart Regeneration (2020)
- American Association of Echocardiography (2019)
- American Heart Association (2016)
- International Society of Regenerative Biology (2019)