Dr. Lam is originally from Melbourne (Australia) and received his BBiomedSc from the University of Melbourne; BSc(Honours) and PhD from Monash University. His PhD was in heart failure and cardiac regeneration, and he came to UT Southwestern for his postdoctoral training with the aim of working with one of the leading scientists in this field (Dr. Hesham Sadek). Dr. Lam is interested in why mammalian adult hearts do not regenerate and finding strategies to coax rarely dividing cardiomyocytes to proliferate to help regenerate the heart after injury. In addition, Dr. Lam is developing protocols to measure cardiomyocyte proliferation parameters to advance the cardiac regeneration field. Outside the lab, Dr. Lam enjoys experimenting with his cooking (but without measuring ingredients accurately), food, coffee, travel and exercising.
- Cardiac Regeneration
- Cardiomyocyte Proliferation
- Cell Cycle
- Mechanism of Eccentric Cardiomyocyte Hypertrophy Secondary to Severe Mitral Regurgitation.
- Li S, Nguyen NUN, Xiao F, Menendez-Montes I, Nakada Y, Tan WLW, Anene-Nzelu CG, Foo RS, Thet S, Cardoso AC, Wang P, Elhelaly WM, Lam NT, Pereira AHM, Hill JA, Sadek HA, Circulation 2020 Jun 141 22 1787-1799
- A calcineurin-Hoxb13 axis regulates growth mode of mammalian cardiomyocytes.
- Nguyen NUN, Canseco DC, Xiao F, Nakada Y, Li S, Lam NT, Muralidhar SA, Savla JJ, Hill JA, Le V, Zidan KA, El-Feky HW, Wang Z, Ahmed MS, Hubbi ME, Menendez-Montes I, Moon J, Ali SR, Le V, Villalobos E, Mohamed MS, Elhelaly WM, Thet S, Anene-Nzelu CG, Tan WLW, Foo RS, Meng X, Kanchwala M, Xing C, Roy J, Cyert MS, Rothermel BA, Sadek HA, Nature 2020 06 582 7811 271-276
- Mitochondrial Substrate Utilization Regulates Cardiomyocyte Cell Cycle Progression.
- Cardoso AC, Lam NT, Savla JJ, Nakada Y, Pereira AHM, Elnwasany A, Menendez-Montes I, Ensley EL, Petric UB, Sharma G, Sherry AD, Malloy CR, Khemtong C, Kinter MT, Tan WLW, Anene-Nzelu CG, Foo RS, Nguyen NUN, Li S, Ahmed MS, Elhelaly WM, Abdisalaam S, Asaithamby A, Xing C, Kanchwala M, Vale G, Eckert KM, Mitsche MA, McDonald JG, Hill JA, Huang L, Shaul PW, Szweda LI, Sadek HA, Nat Metab 2020 Feb 2 2 167-178
- DNA Damage Response Mediates Pressure Overload-Induced Cardiomyocyte Hypertrophy.
- Nakada Y, Nhi Nguyen NU, Xiao F, Savla JJ, Lam NT, Abdisalaam S, Bhattacharya S, Mukherjee S, Asaithamby A, Gillette TG, Hill JA, Sadek HA, Circulation 2019 02 139 9 1237-1239
- Neonatal Heart Regeneration: Comprehensive Literature Review.
- Lam NT, Sadek HA, Circulation 2018 07 138 4 412-423
- Redox Regulation of Heart Regeneration: An Evolutionary Tradeoff.
- Elhelaly WM, Lam NT, Hamza M, Xia S, Sadek HA, Front Cell Dev Biol 2016 4 137
- Cardiogenic genes expressed in cardiac fibroblasts contribute to heart development and repair.
- Furtado MB, Costa MW, Pranoto EA, Salimova E, Pinto AR, Lam NT, Park A, Snider P, Chandran A, Harvey RP, Boyd R, Conway SJ, Pearson J, Kaye DM, Rosenthal NA, Circ Res 2014 Apr 114 9 1422-34
- Abnormal mitochondrial L-arginine transport contributes to the pathogenesis of heart failure and rexoygenation injury.
- Williams D, Venardos KM, Byrne M, Joshi M, Horlock D, Lam NT, Gregorevic P, McGee SL, Kaye DM, PLoS One 2014 9 8 e104643
- Effect of oxygen on cardiac differentiation in mouse iPS cells: role of hypoxia inducible factor-1 and Wnt/beta-catenin signaling.
- Medley TL, Furtado M, Lam NT, Idrizi R, Williams D, Verma PJ, Costa M, Kaye DM, PLoS One 2013 8 11 e80280
- Nerve growth factor stimulates cardiac regeneration via cardiomyocyte proliferation in experimental heart failure.
- Lam NT, Currie PD, Lieschke GJ, Rosenthal NA, Kaye DM, PLoS One 2012 7 12 e53210
Cellular Basis for Myocardial Regeneration and Repair. In Heart Failure: A Companion to Braunwald's Heart Disease, 4th Ed.
Ali SR, Lam NT, Sadek HA (2019). Elsevier
Cellular and Molecular Effects of Bioactive Phenolic Compounds in Olives and Olive Oil. In Olive and Olive Oil Bioactive Constituents
Ray NB, Lam NT, Luc R, Bonvino NP, Karagiannis TC (2015). Urbana, AOCS Press
Honors & Awards
- Haberecht Wildhare-Idea Research Grant
- American Heart Association (2010)