Daniel Costa, M.D., is an Associate Professor of Radiology at UT Southwestern Medical Center and a member of its Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Division. He is a board-certified radiologist whose clinical interests include imaging modalities used to study conditions of the abdomen and pelvis, particularly multiparametric MRI and MRI-guided targeted biopsies for the detection and characterization of prostate cancer.
Dr. Costa earned his medical degree at the University of São Paulo in Brazil, where he also completed both his residency in radiology and fellowship in abdominal imaging. He completed additional advanced training in body MRI through a fellowship at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston.
Prior to joining the faculty at UT Southwestern in 2011, Dr. Costa served as Assistant Professor of Radiology at the University of São Paulo and as Vice Chief of Clinical Operations in Radiology at the Institute of Cancer of São Paulo, Brazil's largest cancer hospital.
Dr. Costa is a nationally recognized researcher in the field of prostate cancer, and his work has resulted in multiple original research articles, publications and conference presentations. He has also contributed to several medical textbooks, including the Atlas of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance Imaging, CT and MR Angiography: A Comprehensive Vascular Assessment, and Textbook of Oncology.
- Medical School
- Faculdade de Medicina da Universidade de Sao Paulo (2001)
- Hospital das Clinicas da Faculdade de Medicina da Universidade de Sao Paulo (2001), Internal Medicine
- Instituto de Radiologia, Hospital das Clinicas da Faculdade de Medicina da Universidade de Sao Paulo (2005), Radiology
- Instituto de Radiologia, Hospital das Clinicas da Faculdade de Medicina da Universidade de Sao Paulo (2006), F
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (2007), Magnetic Resonance Imaging (mri)
- Prostate Cancer
- Diagnostic Utility of a Likert Scale Versus Qualitative Descriptors and Length of Capsular Contact for Determining Extraprostatic Tumor Extension at Multiparametric Prostate MRI.
- Costa DN, Passoni NM, Leyendecker JR, de Leon AD, Lotan Y, Roehrborn CG, Otero-Muinelo S, Grewal H, Xi Y, Francis F, Rofsky NM, Pedrosa I AJR Am J Roentgenol 2018 Feb 1-7
- Improved Magnetic Resonance Imaging-Pathology Correlation With Imaging-Derived, 3D-Printed, Patient-Specific Whole-Mount Molds of the Prostate.
- Costa DN, Chatzinoff Y, Passoni NM, Kapur P, Roehrborn CG, Xi Y, Rofsky NM, Torrealba J, Francis F, Futch C, Hagens P, Notgrass H, Otero-Muinelo S, Pedrosa I, Chopra R Invest Radiol 2017 Apr
- An initial negative round of targeted biopsies in men with highly suspicious multiparametric magnetic resonance findings does not exclude clinically significant prostate cancer-Preliminary experience.
- Costa DN, Kay FU, Pedrosa I, Kolski L, Lotan Y, Roehrborn CG, Hornberger B, Xi Y, Francis F, Rofsky NM Urol. Oncol. 2016 Dec
- Quantitative diffusion-weighted imaging and dynamic contrast-enhanced characterization of the index lesion with multiparametric MRI in prostate cancer patients.
- Yuan Q, Costa DN, Sénégas J, Xi Y, Wiethoff AJ, Rofsky NM, Roehrborn C, Lenkinski RE, Pedrosa I J Magn Reson Imaging 2016 Jul
- Magnetic resonance/transrectal ultrasound fusion biopsy of the prostate compared to systematic 12-core biopsy for the diagnosis and characterization of prostate cancer: multi-institutional retrospective analysis of 389 patients.
- Mariotti GC, Costa DN, Pedrosa I, Falsarella PM, Martins T, Roehrborn CG, Rofsky NM, Xi Y, M Andrade TC, Queiroz MR, Lotan Y, Garcia RG, Lemos GC, Baroni RH Urol. Oncol. 2016 May
- Comparison of prostate cancer detection at 3-T MRI with and without an endorectal coil: A prospective, paired-patient study.
- Costa DN, Yuan Q, Xi Y, Rofsky NM, Lenkinski RE, Lotan Y, Roehrborn CG, Francis F, Travalini D, Pedrosa I Urol. Oncol. 2016 Mar
- The economic effect of using magnetic resonance imaging and magnetic resonance ultrasound fusion biopsy for prostate cancer diagnosis.
- Hutchinson RC, Costa DN, Lotan Y Urol. Oncol. 2015 Dec
- Assessment of Prospectively Assigned Likert Scores for Targeted MR Imaging-Transrectal US Fusion Biopsies in Patients with Suspected Prostate Cancer.
- Costa DN, Lotan Y, Rofsky NM, Roehrborn C, Liu A, Hornberger B, Xi Y, Francis F, Pedrosa I J. Urol. 2015 Jul
- Decision analysis model comparing cost of multiparametric magnetic resonance imaging vs. repeat biopsy for detection of prostate cancer in men with prior negative findings on biopsy.
- Lotan Y, Haddad AQ, Costa DN, Pedrosa I, Rofsky NM, Roehrborn CG Urol. Oncol. 2015 Apr
- MR Imaging-Transrectal US Fusion for Targeted Prostate Biopsies: Implications for Diagnosis and Clinical Management.
- Costa DN, Pedrosa I, Donato F, Roehrborn CG, Rofsky NM Radiographics 2015 Mar 140058
Thoracic Aorta. In CT and MR Angiography - A Comprehensive Vascular Assessment
Costa DN, Rubin GD, Rofsky NM, Hallet RL (2008). Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
Principles and Techniques. In Atlas of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance Imaging
Costa DN, Rofsky NM (2007). Current Medicine Group
Large Airways - Tracheobronchomalacia. In CT of the Airways
Baroni RH, Chate RC, Costa DN, Boiselle P (2008). Springer
Honors & Awards
- Golden Apple Award
Excellence in Teaching - Residency Program, Department of Radiology, UT Southwestern (2017-2017)
- Lauterbur Award (Society of Body Computed Tomography and Magnetic Resonance)
Best MRI-related Scientific Presentation for the oral presentation (2015-2015)
- AUR (Association of University Radiologists) - 3rd Annual Image Contest
Winner in the Radiology-related category (2012)
- American College of Radiology (2013)
- Texas Radiological Society (2013)
- Association of University Radiologists (AUR) (2012)
- Radiological Society of North America (RSNA) (2011)
- Society of Body Computed Tomography and Magnetic Resonance (SCBT-MR) (2011)