Katherina Avila, M.D., is an Associate Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center. She specializes in musculoskeletal complaints, headaches, and complementary medicine.
Originally from Mexico, Dr. Avila holds a bachelor's degree in biochemistry from the University of Dallas in Irving, where she graduated with honors. She earned her medical degree at UT Southwestern and completed residency training in internal medicine at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque, while finishing both the primary care and hospital tracks..
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine, she joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2019.
Dr. Avila is a member of several professional organizations, including the American College of Physicians, the Society of Hospital Medicine, and the Texas Medical Association.
Dr. Avila's interests outside of medicine include spending time with family, reading, and running.
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical School (2015)
- University of New Mexico School of Medicine (2016), Internal Medicine
- University of New Mexico School of Medicine (2018), Internal Medicine
- Chief Resident
- University of New Mexico School of Medicine (2019), Internal Medicine
Honors & Awards
- Resident of the Year in Hospital Medicine
Society of Hospital Medicine (New Mexico Chapter) (2017)
- American College of Physicians
- Dallas County Medical Society
- Society of Hospital Medicine
- Texas Medical Association