Dr. David Fixler is Professor of Pediatrics at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas. He received a Master of Science Degree in Epidemiology from the University of London in 1982. Since that time his major research has focused on the epidemiology of congenital heart disease and most recently environmental epidemiology of exposures associated with birth defects of the heart.
- Medical School
- University of Chicago (1964)
- Children's Memorial Medical Center - Chicago (1967), Pediatric Cardiology
- Children's Memorial Medical Center - Chicago (1967), Pediatrics
- University of California at San Francisco (1971), Cardiovascular Medicine
- Epidemiology of congenital heart disease
- Prenatal diagnosis, hospital characteristics, and mortality in transposition of the great arteries.
- Lara DA, Fixler DE, Ethen MK, Canfield MA, Nembhard WN, Morris SA Birth Defects Res. Part A Clin. Mol. Teratol. 2016 Jun
- Donor-specific HLA alloantibodies: Impact on cardiac allograft vasculopathy, rejection, and survival after pediatric heart transplantation.
- Tran A, Fixler D, Huang R, Meza T, Lacelle C, Das BB J. Heart Lung Transplant. 2015 Sep
- Age at referral and mortality from critical congenital heart disease.
- Fixler DE, Xu P, Nembhard WN, Ethen MK, Canfield MA Pediatrics 2014 Jul 134 1 e98-e105
- Effect of acculturation and distance from cardiac center on congenital heart disease mortality.
- Fixler DE, Nembhard WN, Xu P, Ethen MK, Canfield MA Pediatrics 2012 Jun 129 6 1118-24
- Mortality resulting from congenital heart disease among children and adults in the United States, 1999 to 2006.
- Gilboa SM, Salemi JL, Nembhard WN, Fixler DE, Correa A Circulation 2010 Nov 122 22 2254-63
- Mortality in first 5 years in infants with functional single ventricle born in Texas, 1996 to 2003.
- Fixler DE, Nembhard WN, Salemi JL, Ethen MK, Canfield MA Circulation 2010 Feb 121 5 644-50
- Complement (C1q) Binding De Novo Donor Specific Antibodies and Cardiac-Allograft Vasculopathy in Pediatric Heart Transplant Recipients.
- Das BB, Lacelle C, Zhang S, Gao A, Fixler D Transplantation 2017 Sep
- Persistent Epstein-Barr viral load in Epstein-Barr viral naive pediatric heart transplant recipients: Risk of late-onset post-transplant lymphoproliferative disease.
- Das B, Morrow R, Huang R, Fixler D World J Transplant 2016 Dec 6 4 729-735
- Health-Related Quality of Life and Functional Status Are Associated with Cardiac Status and Clinical Outcome in Children with Cardiomyopathy.
- Sleeper LA, Towbin JA, Colan SD, Hsu D, Orav EJ, Lemler MS, Clunie S, Messere J, Fountain D, Miller TL, Wilkinson JD, Lipshultz SE J. Pediatr. 2015 Dec
- Late Detection of Critical Congenital Heart Disease Among US Infants: Estimation of the Potential Impact of Proposed Universal Screening Using Pulse Oximetry.
- Peterson C, Ailes E, Riehle-Colarusso T, Oster ME, Olney RS, Cassell CH, Fixler DE, Carmichael SL, Shaw GM, Gilboa SM JAMA Pediatr 2014 Feb
Epidemiology of Congenital Heart Disease. In Oski's Pediatrics: Principles & Practice, 4th edition, McMillan JA, Feigin RD, DeAngelis C, Jones MD, eds.
Fixler DE (2006). Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
Atrioventricular septal defect. In Surgery of Congenital Heart Disease: Perspectives in Pediatric Cardiology, Moller JH, ed.
Fixler DE (1998). Wiley-Blackwell
Acyanotic Heart Disease. In Essentials of Pediatric Intensive Care, Levin DL, Morriss FC, eds.
Kouatli AA, Fixler DE (1997). Churchill Livingstone
Honors & Awards
- Robert L. Moore, MD
Distinguished Service Award for Medicine, Children’s Medical Center (2000)
- The Dr. Fred Brooksaler
Pediatric Teaching Professorship (1999)
- American Heart Association Gladys Fashena Award
Outstanding contribution to Pediatric Cardiology (1991)
- Residents Teaching Awards, 1983-4, 1987-8
Awarded by Children’s Medical Center for teaching excellence (1988)
- Variety Club of Texas Humanitarian of the Year Award
Humanitarian of the Year Award (1985)
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American College of Cardiology
- American Society for Transplantation
- International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation
- Society for Epidemiologic Research
- Society for Pediatric Research