- Medical School
- Pramukhswami Medical School (2000)
- Mount Sinai Hospital Medical Center (2002), Internal Medicine
- McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University (2004), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2006), Nephrology
- Research Fellowship
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2008), Research
- Kidney Development and Homeostasis
- Polycystic Kidney Disease
- MicroRNA-21 Aggravates Cyst Growth in a Model of Polycystic Kidney Disease.
- Lakhia R, Hajarnis S, Williams D, Aboudehen K, Yheskel M, Xing C, Hatley ME, Torres VE, Wallace DP, Patel V J. Am. Soc. Nephrol. 2016 Aug 27 8 2319-30
- miR-17~92 miRNA cluster promotes kidney cyst growth in polycystic kidney disease.
- Patel V, Williams D, Hajarnis S, Hunter R, Pontoglio M, Somlo S, Igarashi P Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2013 Jun
- MicroRNAs regulate renal tubule maturation through modulation of Pkd1.
- Patel V, Hajarnis S, Williams D, Hunter R, Huynh D, Igarashi P J. Am. Soc. Nephrol. 2012 Dec 23 12 1941-8
- MicroRNAs and fibrosis.
- Patel V, Noureddine L Curr. Opin. Nephrol. Hypertens. 2012 Jul 21 4 410-6
- Advances in the pathogenesis and treatment of polycystic kidney disease.
- Patel V, Chowdhury R, Igarashi P Curr. Opin. Nephrol. Hypertens. 2009 Mar 18 2 99-106
- Acute kidney injury and aberrant planar cell polarity induce cyst formation in mice lacking renal cilia.
- Patel V, Li L, Cobo-Stark P, Shao X, Somlo S, Lin F, Igarashi P Hum. Mol. Genet. 2008 Jun 17 11 1578-90
- Primary cilia regulate mTORC1 activity and cell size through Lkb1.
- Boehlke C, Kotsis F, Patel V, Braeg S, Voelker H, Bredt S, Beyer T, Janusch H, Hamann C, Gödel M, Müller K, Herbst M, Hornung M, Doerken M, Köttgen M, Nitschke R, Igarashi P, Walz G, Kuehn EW Nat. Cell Biol. 2010 Nov 12 11 1115-22
- Loss of oriented cell division does not initiate cyst formation.
- Nishio S, Tian X, Gallagher AR, Yu Z, Patel V, Igarashi P, Somlo S J. Am. Soc. Nephrol. 2010 Feb 21 2 295-302
- Aberrant planar cell polarity induced by urinary tract obstruction.
- Li L, Zepeda-Orozco D, Patel V, Truong P, Karner CM, Carroll TJ, Lin F Am. J. Physiol. Renal Physiol. 2009 Dec 297 6 F1526-33
- Renal Dysgenesis (Chapter),
- Fangming Lin, Vishal Patel, and Peter Igarashi Genetic Diseases of the Kidney 2009, Edited by Lifton, Somlo, Giebisch, and Seldin 2009
Honors & Awards
- Rising star in Nephrology - State of Texas
Super Doctors (2012)
- NIDDK-Career Development Award
- UT Southwestern O’Brien Center-Pilot and Feasibility Grant
- SSCI Young Investigator Travel award
- Chief Fellow, UT Southwestern Medical Center-Nephrology fellowship
- American Society of Nephrology