Dr. Kulstad received a B.S. in Chemical Engineering from the University of Maryland, and an M.S. in Chemical Engineering from the University of Houston, where he performed research in computational fluid dynamics developing advanced mathematical models of two-phase flow. Prior to pursuing a career in medicine, he developed desulfurization processes for a biotech startup company in The Woodlands, Texas. Dr. Kulstad graduated from the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School in Dallas, Texas, in 2001, and completed residency, including a final year as Chief Resident, in Emergency Medicine at Advocate Christ Medical Center in 2004. Dr. Kulstad has over 50 peer-reviewed manuscripts published, multiple patents issued or pending, and serves as an ad-hoc peer reviewer for the Annals of Emergency Medicine; Critical Care; American Journal of Emergency Medicine; Journal of International Medical Research; BMC Medical Education; Therapeutic Hypothermia and Temperature Management; BMC Emergency Medicine; Pediatrics; World Journal of Emergency Medicine; Journal of Emergencies, Trauma, and Shock; Military Medicine; and PLoS One. His current interests in emergency medicine include resuscitation and the development of innovative medical devices.
- A Novel Approach for the Administration of Medications and Fluids in Emergency Scenarios and Settings.
- Honasoge A, Lyons N, Hesse K, Parker B, Mokszycki R, Wesselhoff K, Sweis R, Kulstad EB J Vis Exp 2016 Nov 117
- An additional method for the prevention of hypothermia in severely injured trauma patients.
- Omi E, Kulstad E Crit Care 2016 Jul 20 1 198
- Evaluation of advanced cooling therapy's esophageal cooling device for core temperature control.
- Naiman M, Shanley P, Garrett F, Kulstad E Expert Rev Med Devices 2016 May 13 5 423-33
- Diagnosing Pulmonary Embolism in Pregnancy: Are Biomarkers and Clinical Predictive Models Useful?
- Parilla BV, Fournogerakis R, Archer A, Sulo S, Laurent L, Lee P, Chhotani B, Hesse K, Kulstad E AJP Rep 2016 Apr 6 2 e160-4
- First Use of a New Device for Administration of Buspirone and Acetaminophen to Suppress Shivering During Therapeutic Hypothermia.
- Honasoge A, Parker B, Wesselhoff K, Lyons N, Kulstad E Ther Hypothermia Temp Manag 2016 Mar 6 1 48-51
- An alternative for rapid administration of medication and fluids in the emergency setting using a novel device.
- Lyons N, Nejak D, Lomotan N, Mokszycki R, Jamieson S, McDowell M, Kulstad E Am J Emerg Med 2015 Aug 33 8 1113.e5-6
- Application of a scoring instrument to predict intracerebral hemorrhage and outcome after thrombolysis for acute ischemic stroke.
- Sweis RT, Kerem Y, Waghchoure S, Kulstad EB, Wichter MD J Emerg Trauma Shock 2015 Jul-Sep 8 3 171-2
- Overestimated electrical exposure risk associated with hands-on defibrillation?
- Kulstad E, Garrett M, Naiman M, Garrett F Resuscitation 2015 Jul 92 e15
- The complexity and challenges of the International Classification of Diseases, Ninth Revision, Clinical Modification to International Classification of Diseases, 10th Revision, Clinical Modification transition in EDs.
- Krive J, Patel M, Gehm L, Mackey M, Kulstad E, Li JJ, Lussier YA, Boyd AD Am J Emerg Med 2015 May 33 5 713-8
- Absolute and relative changes (delta) in troponin I for early diagnosis of myocardial infarction: Results of a prospective multicenter trial.
- Storrow AB, Nowak RM, Diercks DB, Singer AJ, Wu AH, Kulstad E, LoVecchio F, Fromm C, Headden G, Potis T, Hogan CJ, Schrock JW, Zelinski DP, Greenberg MR, Christenson RH, Ritchie JC, Chamberlin JS, Bray KR, Rhodes DW, Trainor D, Southwick PC Clin. Biochem. 2015 Mar 48 4-5 260-7
Honors & Awards
- AAEM Young Educator Award
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
- Annals of Emergency Medicine Top 50 Peer Reviewer Award 2005, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011
- Senior Reviewer, Annals of Emergency Medicine, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
- Chicago Metropolitan Trauma Society (2006)
- Illinois College of Emergency Physicians - Research Committee (2006-2016)
- American College of Emergency Physicians (2004)
- Society for Academic Emergency Medicine (2004)
- American Academy of Emergency Medicine (2001-2011)