Suhny Abbara, M.D., is Professor of Radiology and Chief of the Cardiothoracic Imaging Division at UT Southwestern, and Chief of Cardiothoracic Imaging at Parkland Health & Hospital System. His clinical interests include cardiovascular imaging and lung cancer screening.
I am passionate about cardiothoracic imaging because of the positive impact it has on our patients' lives. It pinpoints medical conditions and enables the delivery of personalized, precision medicine.
Originally from Germany, Dr. Abbara received his medical degree from Heinrich Heine University in Düsseldorf. He then completed his residency training in diagnostic radiology at Medstar Georgetown University Hospital in Washington, D.C., and in surgery at the University of Hawaii Surgical Residency Program in Honolulu. He then received advanced training in cardiac imaging through a fellowship at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston.
Before joining the faculty of UT Southwestern in 2013, Dr. Abbara was Director of Clinical Cardiac Imaging at Massachusetts General Hospital and Director of Education for the Cardiac Magnetic Resonance (MR) and Computed Tomography (CT) Program and an Associate Professor of Radiology at Harvard Medical School.
Research and clinical practice
Dr. Abbara focuses his research on cardiac CT and its uses in surgical procedures, identification of imaging biomarkers to predict post-procedure outcomes, and spectral detector CT. In the clinical setting, he specializes in thoracic imaging, cardiac MRI and cardiac CTA as well as coronary calcium scoring, an imaging test that helps determine whether an asymptomatic patient is at low, intermediate, or high risk for heart attack.
Dr. Abbara is an active member of numerous national and international societies, including the Society of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography, for which he serves on the executive committee, and the American College of Radiology, for which he chairs the appropriateness criteria expert panels on Cardiac Imaging. Dr. Abbara is past president of the certification board of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography. He is also an active member of the American Roentgen Ray Society, American College of Radiology, Society of Thoracic Imaging, Dallas County Medical Society, North American Society for Cardiovascular Imaging, Texas Radiological Society, Texas Medical Association and the Radiological Society of North America.
Educating, editing and lecturing
He has authored or co-authored more than 200 peer-reviewed publications, four textbooks and several book chapters. Dr. Abbara is Associate Editor of the Journal for Cardiovascular Computed Tomography, and Editorial Board member for the Journal of Thoracic Imaging and other journals. Dr. Abbara has been invited to present lectures at an array of medical and educational institutions throughout North America, including Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Emory University in Atlanta, Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, the University of Ottawa in Canada, Georgetown University, Ignacio Chavez National Heart Institute in Mexico City, the University of Toronto in Canada, Duke University in Durham, North Carolina, and the University of Colorado in Denver.
- Medical School
- Heinrich-Heine University (1995)
- Heinrich-Heine University (1997), Vascular Surgery
- Georgetown University Hospital (2000), Radiology
- University of Hawaii Integrated Surgical Residency Program (2001), Surgery
- Georgetown University Hospital (2002), Radiology
- Massachusetts General Hospital (2003), Cardiac Imaging
- Cardiac Computed Tomography
- Identification of Imaging Biomarkers to predict post surgical and post minimally invasive procedure outcomes and to predict anesthesia outcomes
- Lung Cancer Screening and Early Detection
- Single Energy, Dual Layer Spectral Computed Tomography (CT) and Dual Energy CT
- Esophagectomy and Gastric Pull-through Procedures: Surgical Techniques, Imaging Features, and Potential Complications.
- Flanagan JC, Batz R, Saboo SS, Nordeck SM, Abbara S, Kernstine K, Vasan V Radiographics 2016 Jan-Feb 36 1 107-121
- Computed Tomography Angiography of the Thoracic Aorta.
- Scheske JA, Chung JH, Abbara S, Ghoshhajra BB Radiol. Clin. North Am. 2016 Jan 54 1 13-33
- Computed Tomography Imaging in Patients with Congenital Heart Disease, Part 2: Technical Recommendations. An Expert Consensus Document of the Society of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography (SCCT): Endorsed by the Society of Pediatric Radiology (SPR) and the North American Society of Cardiac Imaging (NASCI).
- Han BK, Rigsby CK, Leipsic J, Bardo D, Abbara S, Ghoshhajra B, Lesser JR, Raman SV, Crean AM, Nicol ED, Siegel MJ, Hlavacek A J Cardiovasc Comput Tomogr 2015 Nov-Dec 9 6 493-513
- Assessing Fibrosis in Pulmonary Sarcoidosis: Late-enhanced MRI Compared to Anatomic HRCT Imaging.
- Brady D, Lavelle LP, McEvoy SH, Murphy DJ, Gallagher A, Gibney B, Butler MW, Shortt F, McMullen M, Fabry A, Lynch D, Abbara S, Donnelly SC, Dodd JD QJM 2015 Nov
- Cardiac MR Imaging of Nonischemic Cardiomyopathies: Imaging Protocols and Spectra of Appearances.
- O'Donnell DH, Abbara S, Chaithiraphan V, Yared K, Killeen RP, Martos R, Keane D, Cury RC, Dodd JD Radiology 2015 Oct 277 1 308
- Computed tomography imaging in patients with congenital heart disease, part I: Rationale and utility. An expert consensus document of the Society of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography (SCCT).
- Han BK, Rigsby CK, Hlavacek A, Leipsic J, Nicol ED, Siegel MJ, Bardo D, Abbara S, Ghoshhajra B, Lesser JR, Raman S, Crean AM J Cardiovasc Comput Tomogr 2015 Jul
- Prognostic value of coronary CTA vs. exercise treadmill testing: results from the Partners registry.
- Cheezum MK, Subramaniyam PS, Bittencourt MS, Hulten EA, Ghoshhajra BB, Shah NR, Forman DE, Hainer J, Leavitt M, Padmanabhan R, Skali H, Dorbala S, Hoffmann U, Abbara S, Di Carli MF, Gewirtz H, Blankstein R Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging 2015 Apr
- Quantification of aortic calcification - How and why should we do it?
- Saboo SS, Abbara S, Rybicki FJ, Chatzizisis YS Atherosclerosis 2015 Apr 240 2 469-471
- Radiation exposure from medical imaging must not be taken out of context.
- Rajiah P, Abbara S Trends Cardiovasc. Med. 2015 Apr
- Traumatic right atrial pseudoaneurysm.
- Nagpal P, Saboo SS, Khandelwal A, Duran-Mendicuti MA, Abbara S, Steigner ML Cardiovasc Diagn Ther 2015 Apr 5 2 141-4
Problem Solving in Cardiovascular Imaging: Expert Consult - Online and Print, 1e
Suhny Abbara MD and Sanjeeva P Kalva MD (Ed.) (2013). Philadelphia, PA, Elsevier Saunders
Diagnostic Imaging: Cardiovascular, 2nd edition
Suhny Abbara, MD (Ed.) (2014). Amirsys, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
Cardiac Imaging: The Requisites, 4th edition
Lawrence Boxt, MD and Suhny Abbara, MD (Ed.) (2016). Philadelphia, PA, Elsevier
Cardiac Imaging: The Requisites / Edition 3
Stephen W. Miller, MD, Suhny Abbara, MD, Lawrence Boxt, MD (Ed.) (2009). Elsevier Health Sciences
Diagnostic Imaging: Cardiovascular, 1st edition
Suhny Abbara MD and Thomas G. Walker MD (Ed.) (2008). Salt Lake City, UT, AMIRSYS, Elsevier Saunders
PocketRadiologist - Cardiac
Brady, Grist, Westra, Wicky, Abbara (2003). Salt Lake City, UT, AMIRSYS
Honors & Awards
American College of Radiology (2016)
- Certificate of Merit
Radiological Society of North America (2015)
- Honored Educator Award
Radiological Society of North America (2014)
- Volunteer Service Award
American Board of Radiology (2014)
- Certificate of Merit
Radiological Society of North America (2013)
- Editor's Recognition Award
Society of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography (2011)
- Certificate of Merit
Radiological Society of North America (2010)
- Cum Laude Awards (2)
Radiological Society of North America (2009)
- Editors' Recognition Award for Distinction in Reviewing
Journal of Thoracic Imaging (2009)
- Top 10 Cited Papers
European Journal of Radiology (2008)
- Cum Laude Award
Radiological Society of North America (2007)
- Cum Laude Award
Society of Thoracic Radiology (2007)
- Editors' Recognition Award for Outstanding Service as a Reviewer
European Journal of Radiology (2006)
- Outstanding Academic Research Award
- Certificate of Appreciation
Radiological Society of North America (2005)
- Executive Council Award
American Roentgen Ray Society (2003)
- Partners in Excellence Award
Massachusetts General Hospital (2003)
- Chief Resident, Department of Radiology
Georgetown University (2001)
- Homer L. Twigg Outstanding Resident Award
Georgetown University (2000)
- Nycomed Amersham Fellowship Award
International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine/Nycomed Amersham (1999)
- Roentgen Resident/Fellow Research Award
Radiological Society of North America (1999)
- Cum Laude Certificate for Dissertation
University of Düsseldorf, Germany (1996)
- American College of Radiology
- American Roentgen Ray Society
- Dallas County Medical Society
- New England Roentgen Ray Society
- Radiological Society of North America
- Society for Thoracic Imaging
- Society of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography
- Texas Medical Association
- Texas Radiological Society