Dr. Chun-Li Zhang received his Ph.D. in Genetics and Development from UT Southwestern Medical Center, where he worked on transcriptional control of muscle development and heart disease. Upon graduation in 2003, he conducted postdoctoral research as a HHMI Fellow of the Life Sciences Research Foundation in Dr. Ronald Evans’ laboratory at the Salk Institute, La Jolla, California. In collaboration with Dr. Fred Gage at the same institute, Dr. Zhang worked on adult neural stem cells and neurogenesis. In 2008, he joined the faculty as an Assistant Professor at UT Southwestern. The major focus of his laboratory is on molecular mechanisms controlling neural stem cells, adult neurogenesis, regeneration of the central nervous system, and cellular reprogramming.
|Graduate School||Wuhan University - China , Molecular Cell Biology|
|Graduate School||University of Texas Southwestern Med Ctr Dallas (2002), Genetics|
- Neural Stem Cell
- In vivo conversion of astrocytes to neurons in the injured adult spinal cord.
- Su Z, Niu W, Liu ML, Zou Y, Zhang CL Nat Commun 2014 5 3338
- In vivo reprogramming of astrocytes to neuroblasts in the adult brain.
- Niu W, Zang T, Zou Y, Fang S, Smith DK, Bachoo R, Zhang CL Nat. Cell Biol. 2013 Sep
- Small molecules enable neurogenin 2 to efficiently convert human fibroblasts into cholinergic neurons.
- Liu ML, Zang T, Zou Y, Chang JC, Gibson JR, Huber KM, Zhang CL Nat Commun 2013 Jul 4 2183
- Cross-talk between KLF4 and STAT3 regulates axon regeneration.
- Qin S, Zou Y, Zhang CL Nat Commun 2013 4 2633
- A role for adult TLX-positive neural stem cells in learning and behaviour.
- Zhang CL, Zou Y, He W, Gage FH, Evans RM Nature 2008 Feb 451 7181 1004-7
- Class II histone deacetylases act as signal-responsive repressors of cardiac hypertrophy.
- Zhang CL, McKinsey TA, Chang S, Antos CL, Hill JA, Olson EN Cell 2002 Aug 110 4 479-88
- Orphan nuclear receptor TLX regulates astrogenesis by modulating BMP signaling.
- Qin S, Niu W, Iqbal N, Smith DK, Zhang CL Front Neurosci 2014 8 74
- The nuclear receptor TLX is required for gliomagenesis within the adult neurogenic niche.
- Zou Y, Niu W, Qin S, Downes M, Burns DK, Zhang CL Mol. Cell. Biol. 2012 Oct
- A role of KLF4 in neurogenesis and radial neuronal migration in the developing cerebral cortex.
- Qin S, Zhang CL Mol. Cell. Biol. 2012 Aug
- SRY-box-containing gene 2 regulation of nuclear receptor tailless (Tlx) transcription in adult neural stem cells.
- Shimozaki K, Zhang CL, Suh H, Denli AM, Evans RM, Gage FH J. Biol. Chem. 2012 Feb 287 8 5969-78
Honors & Awards
- The Ellison Medical Foundation: New Scholar in Aging
- The Whitehall Foundation: Research Award
- Winner of NuGEN Innovation Grant Challenge
- NIH: Director's New Innovator Award
- Scientist Development Award-American Heart Association
- W.W.Caruth, Jr. Scholar in Biomedical Research-UT Southwestern
- HHMI Fellow of the Life Sciences Research Foundation
- Deans Discretionary Award, UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas
- Endocrinology Society
- Molecular and Cellular Cognition Society
- Sigma Xi, the Scientific Research Society
- Society for Neuroscience