Dr. Chun-Li Zhang received his Ph.D. in Genetics and Development from UT Southwestern Medical Center, where he worked on transcriptional control of muscle development and heart disease. Upon graduation in 2003, he conducted postdoctoral research as a HHMI Fellow of the Life Sciences Research Foundation in Dr. Ronald Evans’ laboratory at the Salk Institute, La Jolla, California. In collaboration with Dr. Fred Gage at the same institute, Dr. Zhang worked on adult neural stem cells and neurogenesis. In 2008, he joined the faculty as an Assistant Professor at UT Southwestern. The major focus of his laboratory is on molecular mechanisms controlling neural stem cells, adult neurogenesis, regeneration of the central nervous system, and cellular reprogramming.
- Graduate School
- Wuhan University - China , Molecular Cell Biology
- Graduate School
- University of Texas Southwestern Med Ctr Dallas (2002), Genetics
- Neural Stem Cell
- SOX2 Reprograms Resident Astrocytes into Neural Progenitors in the Adult Brain.
- Niu W, Zang T, Smith DK, Vue TY, Zou Y, Bachoo R, Johnson JE, Zhang CL Stem Cell Reports 2015 Apr
- In vivo conversion of astrocytes to neurons in the injured adult spinal cord.
- Su Z, Niu W, Liu ML, Zou Y, Zhang CL Nat Commun 2014 5 3338
- In vivo reprogramming of astrocytes to neuroblasts in the adult brain.
- Niu W, Zang T, Zou Y, Fang S, Smith DK, Bachoo R, Zhang CL Nat. Cell Biol. 2013 Sep
- Small molecules enable neurogenin 2 to efficiently convert human fibroblasts into cholinergic neurons.
- Liu ML, Zang T, Zou Y, Chang JC, Gibson JR, Huber KM, Zhang CL Nat Commun 2013 Jul 4 2183
- Cross-talk between KLF4 and STAT3 regulates axon regeneration.
- Qin S, Zou Y, Zhang CL Nat Commun 2013 4 2633
- A role for adult TLX-positive neural stem cells in learning and behaviour.
- Zhang CL, Zou Y, He W, Gage FH, Evans RM Nature 2008 Feb 451 7181 1004-7
- Class II histone deacetylases act as signal-responsive repressors of cardiac hypertrophy.
- Zhang CL, McKinsey TA, Chang S, Antos CL, Hill JA, Olson EN Cell 2002 Aug 110 4 479-88
- Structural basis for corepressor assembly by the orphan nuclear receptor TLX.
- Zhi X, Zhou XE, He Y, Searose-Xu K, Zhang CL, Tsai CC, Melcher K, Xu HE Genes Dev. 2015 Feb 29 4 440-50
- Ataxia and Purkinje cell degeneration in mice lacking the CAMTA1 transcription factor.
- Long C, Grueter CE, Song K, Qin S, Qi X, Kong YM, Shelton JM, Richardson JA, Zhang CL, Bassel-Duby R, Olson EN Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2014 Jul
- TLX: A master regulator for neural stem cell maintenance and neurogenesis.
- Islam MM, Zhang CL Biochim. Biophys. Acta 2014 Jun
Honors & Awards
- The Decherd Foundation Award
- 2014s Big Advances in Science
- The Ellison Medical Foundation: New Scholar in Aging
- The Whitehall Foundation: Research Award
- Winner of NuGEN Innovation Grant Challenge
- NIH: Director's New Innovator Award
- Scientist Development Award-American Heart Association
- W.W.Caruth, Jr. Scholar in Biomedical Research-UT Southwestern
- HHMI Fellow of the Life Sciences Research Foundation
- Deans Discretionary Award, UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas
- Center for Regenerative Science and Medicine (2014)
- International Society for Stem Cell Research (2008)
- Society for Neuroscience