Dr. Benjamin F. Chong joined the Department of Dermatology at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center as an Assistant Instructor in 2008. He received a Magna Cum Laude in Chemistry at Harvard University in 1999, and his MD degree at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine in 2004. He completed his internship in Internal Medicine at St. Joseph Mercy Hospital in Ann Arbor, Michigan, in 2005, and his dermatology residency at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit, Michigan, in 2008. He served as the chief resident from 2007-2008. His clinical interests include cutaneous lupus erythematosus, dermatomyositis, and sarcoidosis. He is the principal investigator of the University of Texas Southwestern Cutaneous Lupus Patient Registry and has his own laboratory studying the pathogenesis of cutaneous lupus erythematosus. He is also been serving as the Service Chief of Dermatology at Parkland Health and Hospital System since 2012.
- Medical School
- Johns Hopkins University (2004)
- Saint Joseph Mercy Hospital-Ann Arbor, MI (2005)
- Saint Joseph Mercy Hospital-Ann Arbor, MI (2005), Internal Medicine
- Henry Ford Hospital (2008), Dermatology
- Other Post Graduate Training
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2009), Dermatology
- Graduate School
- UT Southwestern Medical School (2012)
- Cutaneous Lupus Erythematosus
- Predictors of low quality of life in discoid lupus patients.
- Teske NM, Cardon ZE, Ogunsanya ME, Li X, Adams-Huet B, Chong B Br. J. Dermatol. 2017 Mar
- Changes in T cell and B cell composition in discoid lupus erythematosus skin at different stages.
- O'Brien JC, Hosler GA, Chong BF J. Dermatol. Sci. 2016 Dec
- Reducing outpatient dermatology clinic wait times in a safety net health system in Dallas, Texas.
- O'Brien JC, Chong BF J. Am. Acad. Dermatol. 2016 Sep 75 3 631-2
- A subset of CD163(+) macrophages displays mixed polarizations in discoid lupus skin.
- Chong BF, Tseng LC, Hosler GA, Teske NM, Zhang S, Karp DR, Olsen NJ, Mohan C Arthritis Res. Ther. 2015 17 1 324
- Differential expression of BAFF and its receptors in discoid lupus erythematosus patients.
- Chong BF, Tseng LC, Kim A, Miller RT, Yancey KB, Hosler GA J. Dermatol. Sci. 2014 Mar 73 3 216-24
- Understanding How Cutaneous Lupus Erythematosus Progresses to Systemic Lupus Erythematosus.
- Chong BF JAMA Dermatol 2014 Jan
- IgG, IgM, and IgA antinuclear antibodies in discoid and systemic lupus erythematosus patients.
- Jost SA, Tseng LC, Matthews LA, Vasquez R, Zhang S, Yancey KB, Chong BF ScientificWorldJournal 2014 2014 171028
- A multicentre, cross-sectional study on quality of life in patients with cutaneous lupus erythematosus.
- Vasquez R, Wang D, Tran QP, Adams-Huet B, Chren MM, Costner MI, Cohen JB, Werth VP, Chong BF Br. J. Dermatol. 2013 Jan 168 1 145-53
- Photoprotective habits of patients with cutaneous lupus erythematosus.
- Yang SY, Bernstein I, Lin DQ, Chong BF J. Am. Acad. Dermatol. 2013 Jan
- IgG and IgM autoantibody differences in discoid and systemic lupus patients.
- Chong BF, Tseng LC, Lee T, Vasquez R, Li QZ, Zhang S, Karp DR, Olsen NJ, Mohan C J. Invest. Dermatol. 2012 Dec 132 12 2770-9
The cutaneous immune system: a skin-bsed perspective on immunology.. In Cutaneous Manifestations of Rheumatic Diseases, 2nd Ed
Chong BF, Kupper TS (2004). Philadelphia, PA, Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins
Skin disease in cutaneous lupus erythematosus.. In Dubois' Lupus Erythematosus and Related Syndromes, 8th Ed
Chong BF, Werth VP. (2013). Philadelphia, PA, Elsevier Saunders
Honors & Awards
- UTSW Department of Dermatology Teaching Award
- Clinical Research Scholars Program
- Dermatology Foundation Physician-Scientist Career Development Award
- Henry Ford Hospital Outstanding Resident Award
1st prize (2008)
- La Roche-Posay North American Foundation Research Award
1st prize (2006)
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute Research Scholar
- American Academy of Dermatology (2008)
- American College of Rheumatology (2011)
- Lupus Foundation of America, North Texas Chapter (2012)
- Medical Dermatology Society (2009)
- Rheumatologic Dermatology Society (2010)
- Society of Investigative Dermatology (2008)
- Texas Medical Association (2008)