Originally from England, Dr. Kusminski completed her graduate work at The University of Warwick in the United Kingdom. Drawn by the collaborative interdisciplinary research utilized to study Obesity and Type 2 diabetes and their associated co-morbidities, Dr. Kusminski brings to the Touchstone Diabetes Center at UTSW a strong background in mitochondrial bioenergetics, in the context of adipose tissue physiology and energy metabolism. Her current research focuses on: 1) how regulating mitochondrial activity and shifting substrate-flux influences cellular and tissue function to alter whole-body lipid and glucose homeostasis; 2) evaluating the integrated signaling mechanisms that govern white adipose tissue expansion under metabolic perturbations, such as surplus caloric-intake; and 3) understanding how pancreatic alpha and beta cells interact in a diabetic setting.
- Mechanisms Underlying Diabetes-associated Lipotoxicity
- Mitochondrial Function in Adipose Tissue Expansion and Whole-body Energy Homeostasis
- Obesity and Adipose Tissue Physiology
- Pancreatic Alpha and Beta Cell Signaling
- Targeting adipose tissue in the treatment of obesity-associated diabetes.
- Kusminski CM, Bickel PE, Scherer PE Nat Rev Drug Discov 2016 Jun
- MitoNEET-Parkin Effects in Pancreatic a- and ß-Cells, Cellular Survival and Intra-Insular Crosstalk.
- Kusminski CM, Chen S, Ye R, Sun K, Wang QA, Spurgin SB, Sanders PE, Brozinick JT, Li WH, Unger RH, Scherer PE Diabetes 2016 Feb
- E4orf1 induction in adipose tissue promotes insulin-independent signaling in the adipocyte.
- Kusminski CM, Gallardo-Montejano VI, Wang ZV, Hegde V, Bickel PE, Dhurandhar NV, Scherer PE Mol Metab 2015 Oct 4 10 653-664
- Leptin beyond the lipostat: key component of blood pressure regulation.
- Kusminski CM, Scherer PE Circ. Res. 2015 Apr 116 8 1293-5
- MitoNEET-mediated effects on browning of white adipose tissue.
- Kusminski CM, Park J, Scherer PE Nat Commun 2014 5 3962
- MitoNEET-driven alterations in adipocyte mitochondrial activity reveal a crucial adaptive process that preserves insulin sensitivity in obesity.
- Kusminski CM, Holland WL, Sun K, Park J, Spurgin SB, Lin Y, Askew GR, Simcox JA, McClain DA, Li C, Scherer PE Nat. Med. 2012 Oct 18 10 1539-49
- Mitochondrial dysfunction in white adipose tissue.
- Kusminski CM, Scherer PE Trends Endocrinol. Metab. 2012 Sep 23 9 435-43
- Diabetes and apoptosis: lipotoxicity.
- Kusminski CM, Shetty S, Orci L, Unger RH, Scherer PE Apoptosis 2009 Dec 14 12 1484-95
- The road from discovery to clinic: adiponectin as a biomarker of metabolic status.
- Kusminski CM, Scherer PE Clin. Pharmacol. Ther. 2009 Dec 86 6 592-5
- Adiponectin complexes in human cerebrospinal fluid: distinct complex distribution from serum.
- Kusminski CM, McTernan PG, Schraw T, Kos K, O'Hare JP, Ahima R, Kumar S, Scherer PE Diabetologia 2007 Mar 50 3 634-42
Honors & Awards
- JDRF Award
Postdoctoral Research Fellowship Grant (2007)
- ASO Award
Ph.D. Student Research of the Year Award, Association for the Study of Obesity, London, UK (2006)
- Albert Renold Award
Fellowship Award from the European Foundation for the Study of Diabetes (EFSD), Dusseldorf, Germany (2005)
- American Heart Association (2013)
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (2007)
- Association for the Study of Obesity, UK (2006-2007)
- British Endocrine Society, UK (2004-2008)
- European Association for the Study of Diabetes (2004-2008)