Arin B. Aurora earned her bachelor’s degree in biology from Cornell University, followed by a Ph.D. from the University of California, San Francisco. She performed postdoctoral work at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, earning an American Cancer Society Postdoctoral Fellowship. Dr. Aurora continued her postdoctoral work with Dr. Eric Olson at UT Southwestern, where she made important discoveries toward understanding molecular pathways regulating cardiovascular disease and the connections between the immune system and the capacity of the mammalian heart to regenerate. Based on the strength of her work, Dr. Aurora was awarded an American Heart Association Beginning Grant-in-Aid award.
In 2014, Dr. Aurora joined the faculty of the Children’s Medical Research Institute at UT Southwestern as an assistant professor.
Dr. Aurora is investigating the molecular mechanisms melanoma cells use to drive growth and metastasis.
- Cornell University (1998), Biology
- Graduate School
- University of California-San F (2004), Immunology
- Cancer metabolism
- Mechanisms of metastasis
- Immune Modulation of Stem Cells and Regeneration.
- Aurora AB, Olson EN Cell Stem Cell 2014 Jul 15 1 14-25
- Macrophages are required for neonatal heart regeneration.
- Aurora AB, Porrello ER, Tan W, Mahmoud AI, Hill JA, Bassel-Duby R, Sadek HA, Olson EN J. Clin. Invest. 2014 Feb
- MicroRNA-214 protects the mouse heart from ischemic injury by controlling Ca²? overload and cell death.
- Aurora AB, Mahmoud AI, Luo X, Johnson BA, van Rooij E, Matsuzaki S, Humphries KM, Hill JA, Bassel-Duby R, Sadek HA, Olson EN J. Clin. Invest. 2012 Apr 122 4 1222-32
- MiR-15 family regulates postnatal mitotic arrest of cardiomyocytes.
- Porrello ER, Johnson BA, Aurora AB, Simpson E, Nam YJ, Matkovich SJ, Dorn GW, van Rooij E, Olson EN Circ. Res. 2011 Sep 109 6 670-9
- NF-kappaB balances vascular regression and angiogenesis via chromatin remodeling and NFAT displacement.
- Aurora AB, Aurora AB, Biyashev D, Mirochnik Y, Zaichuk TA, Sánchez-Martinez C, Renault MA, Losordo D, Volpert OV Blood 2010 Jul 116 3 475-84
- Short pigment epithelial-derived factor-derived peptide inhibits angiogenesis and tumor growth.
- Mirochnik Y, Aurora A, Schulze-Hoepfner FT, Deabes A, Shifrin V, Beckmann R, Polsky C, Volpert OV Clin. Cancer Res. 2009 Mar 15 5 1655-63
- The endothelial-specific microRNA miR-126 governs vascular integrity and angiogenesis.
- Wang S, Aurora AB, Johnson BA, Qi X, McAnally J, Hill JA, Richardson JA, Bassel-Duby R, Olson EN Dev. Cell 2008 Aug 15 2 261-71
- Androgen receptor targets NFkappaB and TSP1 to suppress prostate tumor growth in vivo.
- Nelius T, Filleur S, Yemelyanov A, Budunova I, Shroff E, Mirochnik Y, Aurora A, Veliceasa D, Xiao W, Wang Z, Volpert OV Int. J. Cancer 2007 Sep 121 5 999-1008
- Immune complex-dependent remodeling of the airway vasculature in response to a chronic bacterial infection.
- Aurora AB, Baluk P, Zhang D, Sidhu SS, Dolganov GM, Basbaum C, McDonald DM, Killeen N J. Immunol. 2005 Nov 175 10 6319-26
Honors & Awards
- American Heart Association Beginning Grant-in-Aid
- American Cancer Society Postdoctoral Fellowship
- European School of Haematology Marie Curie Actions Scholarship
- Robert H. Lurie Cancer Center Katten Muchin Rosenman Scholarship
- American Association for Cancer Research -Takeda Scholar-in-Training Award
- American Association for Cancer Research (2016)
- American Heart Association (2011-2014)