Dr. Zhang joined UT Southwestern as an assistant professor in September, 2007. He previously was a postdoctoral fellow at the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center.
Dr. Zhang’s research interest in statistical methodology lies in two main areas: Bayesian hierarchical modeling and clinical trial design. He has published multiple papers on the application of Bayesian hierarchical models to disease mapping, joint modeling of longitudinal and survival outcomes, item-response theory for grant review, functional enrichment analysis to detect important pathways, and multi-level modeling to detect factors that impact cancer screening, etc. Another area of his research interest is design methodology for clinical trials to account for various pragmatic issues such as correlated outcomes (clustered and longitudinal), missing data, small sample sizes, historical control, random variability in cluster size, and cost constraints, etc. He has published multiple high quality papers in this area and in 2015 he co-authored a book titled “Sample Size Calculations on Clustered and Longitudinal Outcomes in Clinical Research” (Chapman & Hall, New York). Dr. Zhang has been successful in securing extramural grants as the PI to support his independent research program: an NIH R03 grant to conduct secondary data analysis on VA HIV registry in 2012; an NSF grant to build risk prediction model based on electronic health record data in 2013; and a PCORI methodology development grant to address pragmatic design issues in stepped-wedge cluster randomized trials in 2017.
- Graduate School
- Xiamen University - China , Econometrics
- Graduate School
- University of Missouri-Columbi (2005), Statistics
- Bayesian statistical methods
- Clinical trial design
- Missing data methods
- Multi-level models
- Intervention with Timely Percutaneous Coronary Intervention, and Low Systolic Blood Pressure) Score.
- Nguyen OK, Makam AN, Clark C, Zhang S, Das SR, Halm EA J Am Heart Assoc 2018 Apr 7 8
- Reverse histologic remodeling after mechanical unloading of failing hearts in children with dilated cardiomyopathy.
- Kasten J, Rakheja D, Zhang S, Thankavel P, Das BB J. Heart Lung Transplant. 2017 Nov 36 11 1268-1271
- Markers of coagulation activation, inflammation and fibrinolysis as predictors of poor outcomes after pediatric venous thromboembolism: A systematic review and meta-analysis.
- Zia A, Russell J, Sarode R, Veeram SR, Josephs S, Malone K, Zhang S, Journeycake J Thromb. Res. 2017 Oct 160 1-8
- Predicting 30-Day Pneumonia Readmissions Using Electronic Health Record Data.
- Makam AN, Nguyen OK, Clark C, Zhang S, Xie B, Weinreich M, Mortensen EM, Halm EA J Hosp Med 2017 Apr 12 4 209-216
- Statins for primary prevention in physically active individuals: Do the risks outweigh the benefits?
- Mansi IA, English JL, Morris MJ, Zhang S, Mortensen EM, Halm EA J Sci Med Sport 2017 Jan
- Sample Size Calculations for Time-Averaged Difference of Longitudinal Binary Outcomes.
- Lou Y, Cao J, Zhang S, Ahn C Commun Stat Theory Methods 2017 46 1 344-353
- SIMULTANEOUS LIVER KIDNEY TRANSPLANTATION IN LIVER TRANSPLANT CANDIDATES WITH RENAL DYSFUNCTION: IMPORTANCE OF CREATININE LEVELS, DIALYSIS, AND ORGAN QUALITY IN SURVIVAL.
- Tanriover B, MacConmara MP, Parekh J, Arce C, Zhang S, Gao A, Mufti A, Levea SL, Sandikci B, Ayvaci MU, Ariyamuthu VK, Hwang C, Mohan S, Mete M, Vazquez MA, Marrero JA KI Rep 2016 Nov 1 4 221-229
- Vital Signs Are Still Vital: Instability on Discharge and the Risk of Post-Discharge Adverse Outcomes.
- Nguyen OK, Makam AN, Clark C, Zhang S, Xie B, Velasco F, Amarasingham R, Halm EA J Gen Intern Med 2016 Aug
- Acute Rejection Rates and Graft Outcomes According to Induction Regimen among Recipients of Kidneys from Deceased Donors Treated with Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate.
- Tanriover B, Jaikaransingh V, MacConmara MP, Parekh JR, Levea SL, Ariyamuthu VK, Zhang S, Gao A, Ayvaci MU, Sandikci B, Rajora N, Ahmed V, Lu CY, Mohan S, Vazquez MA Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2016 Jun
- Use of a semi-automated cardiac segmentation tool improves reproducibility and speed of segmentation of contaminated right heart magnetic resonance angiography.
- Tandon A, Byrne N, Nieves Velasco Forte ML, Zhang S, Dyer AK, Dillenbeck JM, Greil GF, Hussain T Int J Cardiovasc Imaging 2016 May
Sample Size Calculations for Clustered and Longitudinal Outcomes in Clinical Research
Chul Ahn, Moonseoung Heo, Song Zhang (2015). New York, Chapman and Hall/CRC
Optimal Biological Dose for Molecularly Targeted Therapies. In Wiley StatsRef: Statistics Reference Online
Chul Ahn, Seung-Ho Kang, Yang Xie, Song Zhang (2016). Hoboken, New Jersey., John Wiley & Sons
Honors & Awards
- Early Career Researcher and Postgraduate travel awards
International Society for Bayesian Analysis (2008)
- Graduate Professional Council Travel Scholarship
University of Missouri-Columbia (2004)
- Outstanding Performance in Doctoral Exams
Department of Statistics, University of Missouri-Columbia (2003)
- Excellent Student Award
Xiamen University, China (1999)
- Third Prize
College Student Science and Technology Thesis Competition, Fujian, China (1998)
- Eastern North American Region (ENAR) of the International Biometric Society (IBS)
- Institute of Mathematical Statistics
- The American Statistical Association