Stephen Figueroa, M.D., is an Associate Professor of Neurocritical Care in the UT Southwestern Department of Neurology and the Department of Neurological Surgery. He sees patients in the Neuro Intensive Care Unit at Zale Lipshy Pavilion – William P. Clements Jr. University Hospital and Parkland Memorial Hospital, where he is medical director of the ICU.
After receiving a bachelor of science cum laude from Tulane University, he earned his M.D. at the St. Louis University School of Medicine. He then completed an internship in internal medicine, a residency in neurology, a chief residency in neurology, and a fellowship in neurocritical care, all at UT Southwestern. During his training, Dr. Figueroa received the TEVA Neuroscience Award, the UT Southwestern Department of Neurology Resident Teaching Award, the Hal D. Unwin Neurology Resident Award for Outstanding Clinical Performance, and the Roger Rosenberg Outstanding Fellow Award, among other honors.
Dr. Figueroa participates in numerous clinical trials designed to improve the care of patients with acute stroke and traumatic brain injury. His publications, abstracts, and presentations in the field have focused on topics including therapeutic hypothermia, CT imaging, critical care for acute ischemic stroke, carotid and vertebral artery injuries, intracerebral hemorrhage, and monitoring of brain tissue oxygenation and intracranial pressure for severe TBI. He is currently the principal investigator of the BOOST III trial at Parkland hospital which is investigating the use of brain oxygen monitoring to improve outcomes in patients with severe TBI. He is a reviewer for peer-reviewed publications including Clinical Neuroscience Nursing, JAMA Neurology, American Journal of the Medical Sciences and he has been selected as a top reviewer for Neurocritical Care in 2019 and 2020. He also consults on head injuries with the National Football League, the Dallas Cowboys and NASCAR.
Committed to the mission of academic medicine, Dr. Figueroa devotes extensive time to training medical students in neuroscience topics, critical care nurses, and residents and fellows in neurocritical care. He is the current fellowship director for the Neurocritical Care Fellowship at UT Southwestern for the past several years.
- Medical School
- Saint Louis University School of Medicine (2007)
- UT Southwestern Medical School (2008), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical School (2011), Neurology
- UT Southwestern Medical School (2013), Neurocritical Care
- Intracranial Monitoring & Brain Oxygenation
- Medical Education & Simulation
- Severe Traumatic Brain Injury
- Sports Concussion and Mild Traumatic Brain Injury
- Clinical Q & A: Translating Therapeutic Temperature Management from Theory to Practice.
- Bader MK, Figueroa SA, Cahoon WD, Blissitt PA, Ther Hypothermia Temp Manag 2019 Nov
- Objective Pupillometry As an Adjunct to Prediction And Assessment For Oculomotor Nerve Injury And Recovery: Potential for Practical Applications.
- Aoun SG, Welch BG, Cortes M, Stutzman SE, MacAllister MC, El Ahmadieh TY, Osman M, Figueroa SA, White MJA, Batjer HH, Olson DM World Neurosurg 2018 Sep
- Intrathoracic pressure regulation therapy applied to ventilated patients for treatment of compromised cerebral perfusion from brain injury.
- Metzger AK, Segal N, Olson DW, Figueroa SA, Sadaka FG, Krause CA, Homuth JR, Burkhart NT, Neumann RT, Lurie KG, Convertino VA J Med Case Rep 2018 Jun 12 1 178
- Education Research: Variation in priorities for neurocritical care education expressed across role groups.
- Cohen AS, Izzy S, Kumar MA, Joyce CJ, Figueroa SA, Maas MB, Hall CE, McDonagh DL, Lerner DP, Vespa PM, Shutter LA, Rosenthal ES Neurology 2018 Jun 90 24 1117-1122
- Understanding the Relationship Between the Neurologic Pupil Index and Constriction Velocity Values.
- Shoyombo I, Aiyagari V, Stutzman SE, Atem F, Hill M, Figueroa SA, Miller C, Howard A, Olson DM Sci Rep 2018 May 8 1 6992
- Correlation of Noninvasive Blood Pressure and Invasive Intra-arterial Blood Pressure in Patients Treated with Vasoactive Medications in a Neurocritical Care Unit.
- Saherwala AA, Stutzman SE, Osman M, Kalia J, Figueroa SA, Olson DM, Aiyagari V Neurocrit Care 2018 Mar
- Increasing Adherence to Brain Trauma Foundation Guidelines for Hospital Care of Patients With Traumatic Brain Injury.
- Saherwala AA, Bader MK, Stutzman SE, Figueroa SA, Ghajar J, Gorman AR, Minhajuddin A, Olson DM Crit Care Nurse 2018 Feb 38 1 e11-e20
- Complication Rates of 3% Hypertonic Saline Infusion Through Peripheral Intravenous Access.
- Perez CA, Figueroa SA J Neurosci Nurs 2017 Jun 49 3 191-195
- Association Patterns of Simultaneous Intraventricular and Intraparenchymal Intracranial Pressure Measurements.
- Mahdavi ZK, Figueroa SA, Olson DM Neurosurgery 2016 May
- Intractable Central Hyperthermia in the Setting of Brainstem Hemorrhage.
- Samudra N, Figueroa S Ther Hypothermia Temp Manag 2016 Mar
Honors & Awards
- Neurocritical Care Journal Top Reviewer
- Neurocritical Care Journal Top Reviewer
- Roger Rosenberg Outstanding Fellow Award
- Hal D. Unwin Neurology Resident Award for Outstanding Clinical Performance
- American Stroke Association (2013)
- Society of Critical Care Medicine (2011-2014)
- Texas Medical Society (2011-2014)
- Neurocritical Care Society (2009-2014)
- American Academy of Neurology (2006-2014)