Roopa Vemulapalli, M.D., is an Associate Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center and a member of its Division of Digestive and Liver Diseases. She specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of small bowel diseases and has special expertise in managing celiac disease, short bowel syndrome, hereditary gastrointestinal cancer syndromes, and related conditions.
Dr. Vemulapalli earned her medical degree at Kakatiya Medical College in India and completed a residency in internal medicine at Chicago’s Louis A. Weiss Memorial Hospital. She received advanced training through a clinical nutrition fellowship at the University of Chicago Hospital and a gastroenterology and hepatology fellowship at UT Southwestern.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in gastroenterology, she joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2010.
Dr. Vemulapalli serves as Medical Director of UT Southwestern’s Digestive Disease Clinic. She is Co-Chair of the Access Working Group for the Ambulatory Operations Council and a member of UT Southwestern’s Racial Diversity, Inequality, and Inclusion Committee and EMR Optimization Physician Group Committee.
Additionally, she is a member of the American College of Gastroenterology, the Texas Medical Association, and the Texas Society for Gastroenterology and Endoscopy.
Her research interests include small bowel imaging, double balloon enteroscopy, autoimmune gastritis, and colon cancer. She serves as an ad hoc reviewer for Nutrition and Dietetics, Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, the European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, the Journal of Investigative Medicine, and ACG Case Reports.
Dr. Vemulapalli has been included in D Magazine's Best Doctors list every year since 2018, and she is one of Becker’s Healthcare’s 10 Gastroenterologists to Know for 2021.
- Medical School
- Kakatiya Medical College, India (1999)
- Louis A. Weiss Memorial Hospital (2003), Internal Medicine
- Louis A. Weiss Memorial Hospital (2005), Internal Medicine
- University of Chicago Hospital (2007), Clinical Nutrition
- UT Southwestern Medical School (2010), Gastroenterology/hepatology
- Colon cancer, small bowel disorders
- Successful Suppression of Drug-Resistant Helicobacter pylori Infection With Bismuth Subsalicylate.
- Geng C, Prokesch BC, Vemulapalli R, Open Forum Infect Dis 2022 Jun 9 6 ofac165
- Helicobacter heilmannii infection: dog-derived dyspepsia?
- Geng C, Vemulapalli R, Am J Med 2021 May
- Autoimmune Gastritis Treated With Mycophenolate Mofetil.
- Harb AH, Vemulapalli R, Gopal P, Park JY, ACG Case Rep J 2020 Dec 7 12 e00496
- Human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 testing in gastric and gastroesophageal junction adenocarcinomas: role of the gastroenterologist.
- Park JY, Dunbar KB, Vemulapalli R, Wang DH, Zhang PJ Gastrointest. Endosc. 2015 Apr 81 4 977-82
- Review of autoimmune metaplastic atrophic gastritis.
- Park JY, Lam-Himlin D, Vemulapalli R Gastrointest. Endosc. 2013 Feb 77 2 284-92
- A comparison of palliative stenting or emergent surgery for obstructing incurable colon cancer.
- Vemulapalli R, Lara LF, Sreenarasimhaiah J, Harford WV, Siddiqui AA Dig. Dis. Sci. 2010 Jun 55 6 1732-7
- Esophagitis Dessicans. A Clinico pathologic study of 12 cases.
- Carmack S, Vemulapalli R, Spechler SS, Genta RM. American Journal of Surgical pathology 2009 33 (12) 1789-1794
- Diet and lifestyle modifications in the management of gastroesophageal reflux disease.
- Vemulapalli R Nutr Clin Pract 2008 Jun-Jul 23 3 293-8
Cardiothoracic Nutrition. In Clinical Nutrition for Surgical Patients
Vemulapalli R, Tomesko J (2007). Bartlett and Jones
'7 ways to heal ulcerative colitis cramps'
Roopa Vemulapalli (). Everydayhealth.com
Small Bowel Module. In ASGE Self Assessment Tests
Roopa Vemulapalli (2018).
Honors & Awards
- 10 gastroenterologists to know - Becker's Healthcare
- American College of Gastroenterology
Naomi Nakao Award for gender based research (2006)
- American College of Gastroenterology
WE CARE in IBD (2006)
- D Magazine Best Doctor (2018, 2019, 2020, 2021)
- Board Member,Texas Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (2021)
- Chair, Women in GI Committee, Texas Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (2021)
- Member, Texas Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (2019)
- Member, Texas Medical Association (2016)
- Member, American Gastroenterological Association (2010-2014)
- Member, American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (2007-2019)
- Member, American College of Gastroenterology (2005)