Shannan R. Tujios, M.D., is an Associate Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center and a member of its Division of Digestive & Liver Diseases. She specializes in liver disease, including pre- and post-liver transplant medicine.
A native of El Paso, Texas, Dr. Tujios received her undergraduate degree in biology and Spanish at Washington University in St. Louis. She earned her medical degree at the University of Louisville School of Medicine and completed her residency in internal medicine at the University of Michigan Hospitals. She finished her advanced training with a clinical fellowship in gastroenterology and hepatology at UT Southwestern, followed by an advanced fellowship in transplant hepatology at the University of Michigan Hospitals.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in internal medicine, gastroenterology, and transplant hepatology, she joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2011.
Dr. Tujios has delivered many invited lectures, published a number of scholarly articles and abstracts, and co-authored several book chapters. She has also served as a reviewer for Gastroenterology and the Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology.
Dr. Tujios is a Fellow of the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases and active in several other professional societies, including the American College of Gastroenterology, American Society of Transplantation, and American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy.
She has been listed in D Magazine's "Best Doctors in Dallas" in 2019, 2020, and 2021.She was named to the 2016 Press Ganey® Internal Medicine Honor Roll of physicians rated higher than the 90th percentile for performance.
- Medical School
- University of Louisville School of Medicine (2004)
- University of Michigan Hospitals (2007), Internal Medicine
- Parkland Health & Hospital System (2010), Gastroenterology
- University of Michigan Hospitals (2011), Hepatology
- Lack of Benefit and Potential Harm of Induction Therapy in Simultaneous Liver-Kidney Transplants.
- AbdulRahim N, Anderson L, Kotla S, Liu H, Ariyamuthu VK, Ghanta M, MacConmara M, Tujios SR, Mufti A, Mohan S, Marrero JA, Vagefi PA, Tanriover B Liver Transpl. 2019 Mar 25 3 411-424
- What's in a name? The heterogeneous clinical spectrum and prognostic factors in a cohort of adults with hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis.
- Prokesch BC, Nagalla S, Ezzati F, Tujios SR, Dominguez A, Chen W, Kershaw C, Patel P, de la Flor C, Foster J, Martin AA, de la Morena MT, Wysocki CA Transfus. Apher. Sci. 2018 Oct
- Continuous renal replacement therapy is associated with reduced serum ammonia levels and mortality in acute liver failure.
- Cardoso FS, Gottfried M, Tujios S, Olson JC, Karvellas CJ, Hepatology 2018 02 67 2 711-720
- Endoscopic Transpapillary Gallbladder Stent Placement Is Safe and Effective in High-Risk Patients Without Cirrhosis.
- McCarthy ST, Tujios S, Fontana RJ, Rahnama-Moghadam S, Elmunzer BJ, Kwon RS, Wamsteker EJ, Anderson MA, Scheiman JM, Elta GH, Piraka CR, Dig. Dis. Sci. 2015 Aug 60 8 2516-22
- Transpapillary Gallbladder Stents can Stabilize or Improve Decompensated Cirrhosis in Patients Awaiting Liver Transplantation.
- Tujios SR, Rahnama-Moghadam S, Elmunzer JB, Kwon R, Singal AG, Anderson MA, Wamsteker EJ, Taylor JR, Scheiman J, Elta G, Fontana RJ, Piraka CR J. Clin. Gastroenterol. 2014 Nov
- Risk Factors and Outcomes of Acute Kidney Injury in Patients with Acute Liver Failure.
- Tujios SR, Hynan LS, Vazquez MA, Larson AM, Seremba E, Sanders CM, Lee WM Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2014 Jul
- Short and long-term outcomes in patients with acute liver failure due to ischemic hepatitis.
- Taylor RM, Tujios S, Jinjuvadia K, Davern T, Shaikh OS, Han S, Chung RT, Lee WM, Fontana RJ Dig. Dis. Sci. 2012 Mar 57 3 777-85
- Perceived and actual quality of life with ulcerative colitis: a comparison of medically and surgically treated patients.
- Waljee AK, Higgins PD, Waljee JF, Tujios SR, Saxena A, Brown LK, Chaudhary MN, Morris AM Am. J. Gastroenterol. 2011 Apr 106 4 794-9
Acute Liver Failure. In Sherlock's Diseases of the Liver and Biliary System, 12th edition
Tujios, S, Lee, WM (May 2011). Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell
Acute Liver Failure. In Sherlock's Diseases of the Liver and Biliary System, 13th edition
Tujios SR, Lee WM. (2018). Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell
Acute on Chronic Liver Failure. In The Critically Ill Cirrhotic Patient: Evaluation and Management, 1st edition.
Pedersen M, Tujios SR (2019). Springer International Publishing
- American Association for the Study of Liver Disease
- American College of Gastroenterology
- American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- American Society of Transplantation
- Texas Medical Association