Dr. Chandra earned his medical degree, completed internal medicine residency training, and completed a general cardiology fellowship at UT Southwestern Medical Center. He then received additional fellowship training in cardio-oncology at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and a research fellowship in cardiovascular imaging at Brigham and Women’s Hospital, both in Boston.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine, he returned to UT Southwestern, joining the faculty in 2019.
Dr. Chandra is a member of several professional organizations, including the American Heart Association, the European Society of Cardiology, the American Society of Nuclear Cardiology, and the American College of Cardiology. He has served as a reviewer for several journals, including Circulation, European Heart Journal, and Circulation: Cardiovascular Quality and Outcomes. He also serves on the cardiac events classification committee for the Hispanic Community Health Study/Study of Latinos (HCHS/SOL).
Dr. Chandra has delivered presentations internationally and published several academic articles. His research focuses on improving quality of life in patients with heart disease, as well as on primary and secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease, with a special focus on the cancer population.
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical School (2012)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2015), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2017), Cardiology
- Brigham and Women's Hospital (2019), Cardiac Imaging
- Cardiac Imaging-based Endpoints in Clinical Research
- Epidemiology of Heart Failure
- Health-related Quality of Life in Patients with Cardiovascular Disease
- Prevention and Risk Assessment of Cardiovascular Disease in Cardio-oncology
- The association of retinal vessel calibres with heart failure and long-term alterations in cardiac structure and function: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) Study.
- Chandra A, Seidelmann SB, Claggett BL, Klein BE, Klein R, Shah AM, Solomon SD, Eur. J. Heart Fail. 2019 Aug
- Health-Related Quality of Life in Heart Failure With Preserved Ejection Fraction: The PARAGON-HF Trial.
- Chandra A, Vaduganathan M, Lewis EF, Claggett BL, Rizkala AR, Wang W, Lefkowitz MP, Shi VC, Anand IS, Ge J, Lam CSP, Maggioni AP, Martinez F, Packer M, Pfeffer MA, Pieske B, Redfield MM, Rouleau JL, Van Veldhuisen DJ, Zannad F, Zile MR, McMurray JJV, Solomon SD, JACC Heart Fail 2019 Jul
- Temporal Changes in Body Fat Distribution and Hypertension.
- Chandra A, Ayers CR, Neeland IJ, J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2019 Jul 73 25 3357-3359
- Bleeding Risk in Patients with Cirrhosis Undergoing Transesophageal Echocardiography: 6-Year Experience from Parkland Health and Hospital System.
- Chandra A, Chen TC, Tang Z, Matulevicius SA, Das SR, Agrawal D, J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2019 May 32 5 678-680
- Efficacy of Neurohormonal Therapiesin Preventing Cardiotaxicity in Patients with Cancer Undergoing Chemotherapy
- Vaduganathan M, Hirji SA, Qamar A, Bajaj N, Gupta A, Zaha V, Chandra A J Am Coll Cardiol CardioOnc 2019 2019 Sept 24
- Intraventricular flow patterns during right ventricular apical pacing.
- Bianco F, Cicchitti V, Bucciarelli V, Chandra A, Di Girolamo E, Pedrizzetti G, Tonti G, Romano S, De Caterina R, Gallina S, Open Heart 2019 6 1 e001057
- Effects of Sacubitril/Valsartan on Physical and Social Activity Limitations in Patients With Heart Failure: A Secondary Analysis of the PARADIGM-HF Trial.
- Chandra A, Lewis EF, Claggett BL, Desai AS, Packer M, Zile MR, Swedberg K, Rouleau JL, Shi VC, Lefkowitz MP, Katova T, McMurray JJV, Solomon SD, JAMA Cardiol 2018 Jun 3 6 498-505
- Regional Fat Distribution and Blood Pressure Level and Variability: The Dallas Heart Study.
- Yano Y, Vongpatanasin W, Ayers C, Turer A, Chandra A, Carnethon MR, Greenland P, de Lemos JA, Neeland IJ Hypertension 2016 Jul
- Relation of Black Race Between High Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol Content, High Density Lipoprotein Particles and Coronary Events (from the Dallas Heart Study).
- Chandra A, Neeland IJ, Das SR, Khera A, Turer AT, Ayers CR, McGuire DK, Rohatgi A Am. J. Cardiol. 2015 Jan
- The relationship of body mass and fat distribution with incident hypertension: observations from the dallas heart study.
- Chandra A, Neeland IJ, Berry JD, Ayers CR, Rohatgi A, Das SR, Khera A, McGuire DK, de Lemos JA, Turer AT J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2014 Sep 64 10 997-1002
Honors & Awards
- Best Research Article by Internal Medicine Resident
UT Southwestern Medical Center (2015)
- American College of Cardiology (2015)
- American Heart Association (2014)
- American Society of Nuclear Cardiology (2017)
- European Society of Cardiology (2018)