Dr. Kutz completed his medical school training at Baylor College of Medicine where he graduated with Honors in 2000. He then completed an internship in general surgery at Baylor College of Medicine and subsequently completed a residency in Otolaryngology (ENT) at Baylor College of Medicine. His subspecialty training in otology, neurotology, and skull base surgery was through the House Ear Clinic in Los Angeles. Dr Kutz is currently an assistant professor at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center. He has a busy clinical practice with interests in diseases of the skull base, acoustic neuroma, cochlear implants, otosclerosis, Meniere’s disease, and chronic otitis media. Dr. Kutz is involved in multiple clinical research endeavors including cochlear implants, acoustic neuroma outcomes, and implantable hearing devices. He is also actively involved in medical student and resident education.
- Medical School
- Baylor College of Medicine (2000)
- Baylor College of Medicine (2001), General Surgery
- Baylor College of Medicine (2005), Otolaryngology
- House Ear Institute (2007), Otology/neurotology/skull Base Surgery
- Acoustic neuroma
- Cerebrospinal fluid leaks of the temporal bone
- Cochlear implant outcomes
- Endoscopic Ear Surgery
- Neurofibromatosis type II
- En Bloc Resection of the Temporal Bone and Temporomandibular Joint for Advanced Temporal Bone Carcinoma.
- Kutz JW, Mitchell D, Isaacson B, Roland PS, Allen KP, Sumer BD, Barnett S, Truelson JM, Myers LL Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2015 Jan
- Cochlear implantation in children with cochlear nerve absence or deficiency.
- Kutz JW, Lee KH, Isaacson B, Booth TN, Sweeney MH, Roland PS Otol. Neurotol. 2011 Aug 32 6 956-61
- Pontine Tegmental Cap Dysplasia: The Neurotologic Perspective.
- Desai NK, Young L, Miranda MA, Kutz JW, Roland PS, Booth TN Otolaryngology--head and neck surgery : official journal of American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 2011 Jun
- Pediatric otogenic lateral sinus thrombosis recanalization.
- Neilan RE, Isaacson B, Kutz JW, Lee KH, Roland PS Int. J. Pediatr. Otorhinolaryngol. 2011 Jun 75 6 850-3
- Patterns of regional metastasis in advanced stage cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma of the auricle.
- Peiffer N, Kutz JW, Myers LL, Isaacson B, Sumer BD, Truelson JM, Ahn C, Roland PS Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2011 Jan 144 1 36-42
- Cochlear implantation in children with enlarged vestibular aqueduct.
- Lee KH, Lee J, Isaacson B, Kutz JW, Roland PS Laryngoscope 2010 Aug 120 8 1675-81
- Bone-anchored hearing aid subjective benefit for unilateral deafness.
- House JW, Kutz JW, Chung J, Fisher LM Laryngoscope 2010 Mar 120 3 601-7
- Concurrent vestibular schwannoma and meningioma mimicking a single cerebellopontine angle tumor.
- Kutz JW, Barnett SL, Hatanpaa KJ, Mendelsohn DB Skull Base 2009 Nov 19 6 443-6
- Labyrinthitis ossificans: how accurate is MRI in predicting cochlear obstruction?
- Isaacson B, Booth T, Kutz JW, Lee KH, Roland PS Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2009 May 140 5 692-6
- CT venography: use in selecting a surgical approach for the treatment of petrous apex cholesterol granulomas.
- Isaacson B, Kutz JW, Mendelsohn D, Roland PS Otol. Neurotol. 2009 Apr 30 3 386-91
Honors & Awards
- Chief Resident Appreciation Award for Outstanding Contribution and Leadership
Awarded to an Otolaryngology faculty member by the resident surgeons for outstanding teaching (2009)
- Houston Society of Otolaryngology -1st place resident research competition
- Outstanding Teaching Resident Award from Baylor College of Medicine
- J. Charles Dickens Award for Outstanding Basic Science Research
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
- American Academy of Otolaryngology
- American Neurotology Society
- Dallas County Medical Society
- Society for University Otolaryngologists (2012)
- Texas Medical Association