Baran D. Sumer, M.D., is Professor and Chief of the Division of Head and Neck Oncology in UT Southwestern Medical Center's Department of Otolaryngology, where he has served on the faculty since 2007. A specialist in head and neck cancer surgery and reconstruction, Dr. Sumer is also Director of the Head and Neck Oncology Disease Oriented Team at the Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center and holds the T.C. Lupton Family Professorship in Patient Care.
After receiving a B.A. at Rutgers University, Dr. Sumer earned his medical degree from Case Western Reserve University. He then completed an internship in general surgery, a residency in otolaryngology, and a fellowship in head and neck oncologic surgery with a focus on transoral laser surgery and microvascular reconstruction at the Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine.
Dr. Sumer is on the clinical staff at the North Texas VA Medical Center, the Children’s Medical Center of Dallas, UT Southwestern Medical Center, and Parkland Health & Hospital System, all in Dallas, Texas.
He has participated in a wide variety of research studies devoted to advancing diagnostic and therapeutic techniques and technologies for head and neck cancer such as fluorescent imaging, biosensing, photodynamic therapy, multimodal therapies, and oral cancer surgical reconstruction techniques.
He serves as a reviewer for several peer-reviewed journals, including Nature Biomedical Engineering, Head and Neck, Laryngoscope, Experimental Biology and Medicine, International Journal of Otolaryngology, Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, and is an editor for the Annals of Surgical Oncology.
Among numerous recognitions, honors, and awards, Dr. Sumer has been recognized as among the best otolaryngology physicians in North Texas by D Magazine, is the recipient of a Texas Instruments Corporate Award Research Gift, the Triological Society Francis Lederer FUSION Grant for Nanotechnology Research, and the SEBM Best Paper Award in the Alan MacDiarmid Interdisciplinary Research Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine. He serves as principal investigator on several research projects funded by R01 and U01 awards from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the National Cancer Institute (NCI), and grants from the Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas (CPRIT), and biotechnology companies such as OncoNano Medicine.
- Medical School
- Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine (2001)
- Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine (2002), General Surgery
- Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine (2006), Otolaryngology
- Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine (2007), Head & Neck Oncologic Surgery
- AI Guided Surgery
- Cancer Imaging
- Cancer Immunology
- Cancer Metabolism
- Image Guided Surgery
- Machine Learning
- Molecular Imaging
- Optical Imaging
- Precision Surgery
- Lactate increases stemness of CD8?+?T cells to augment anti-tumor immunity.
- Feng Q, Liu Z, Yu X, Huang T, Chen J, Wang J, Wilhelm J, Li S, Song J, Li W, Sun Z, Sumer BD, Li B, Fu YX, Gao J, Nat Commun 2022 Sep 13 1 4981
- Smoking and other patient factors in HPV-mediated oropharynx cancer: A retrospective cohort study.
- Schostag K, Lynch PT, Leavitt T, Sumer BD, Yang A, Shah A, Emmet TR, Sher DJ, Day AT, Am J Otolaryngol 2022 Aug 43 5 103555
- Adherence to the American Cancer Society Head and Neck Cancer Survivorship Care Guideline According to Chart Review: A Nested Retrospective Cohort Pilot Study.
- Salley JR, Day AT, Balachandra S, Mehr J, Sumer BD, Sher DJ, Mayfield Arnold E, Danphuong Ho E, Lee SC, Eary R, Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 2022 Jun 34894221098471
- Long-term opioid use in patients treated with head and neck intensity-modulated radiotherapy.
- Zhao L, Moon DH, Avkshtol V, Siropaides CH, Terauchi S, Day AT, Sumer BD, Hughes R, Sher DJ, Support Care Cancer 2022 Jun
- Characteristics and outcomes of young patients with laryngeal cancer: National hospital-based retrospective cohort analysis.
- Yang A, Tanamal P, Tibbetts K, Sumer B, Blackwell JM, Schostag K, Sher D, Day A, Head Neck 2022 Jun
- Automatic detection of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma on histologic slides using hyperspectral microscopic imaging (Erratum).
- Ma L, Little JV, Chen AY, Myers L, Sumer BD, Fei B, J Biomed Opt 2022 May 27 5
- Intratumoral administration of STING-activating nanovaccine enhances T cell immunotherapy.
- Jiang X, Wang J, Zheng X, Liu Z, Zhang X, Li Y, Wilhelm J, Cao J, Huang G, Zhang J, Sumer B, Lea J, Lu Z, Gao J, Luo M, J Immunother Cancer 2022 May 10 5
- Automatic detection of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma on histologic slides using hyperspectral microscopic imaging.
- Ma L, Little JV, Chen AY, Myers L, Sumer BD, Fei B, J Biomed Opt 2022 Apr 27 4
- Pilot Study of a Wearable Activity Monitor During Head and Neck Radiotherapy to Predict Clinical Outcomes.
- Sher DJ, Radpour S, Shah JL, Pham NL, Jiang S, Vo D, Sumer BD, Day AT, JCO Clin Cancer Inform 2022 Mar 6 e2100179
- Survival and disease progression following solitary locoregional recurrence after head and neck radiotherapy.
- Zhao L, Day AT, Moon D, Avkshtol V, Sumer BD, Hughes R, Sher DJ, Head Neck 2022 Feb
Clinical Applications of Heme Biosynthetic Pathway: Photodynamic Therapy with Protoporphyrin IX. In Heme Biology: The Secret Life of Heme in Regulating Diverse Biological Processes
Ding H, Sumer BD, Gao J (2011).
Theranostic Polymeric Micelles for Cancer Imaging and Therapy,. In Multifunctional Nanoparticles for Drug Delivery Applications
Huang G, Khemtong C, Bey EA, Boothman DA, Sumer BD, Gao J. (257-276 (2012).). Svenson S, Prod?homme R.K. Springer Science & Business Media, Inc
Goebel JA, Sumer BD (2006). New York, Theme Publishers
Oral Cavity Cancer. In Decision-Making in Plastic Surgery
Sumer BD, Myers LL (2010). Quality Medical Publishing
Neck Dissection and Parotidectomy for Melanoma Brian Gastman, Rebecca Knackstedt, Ryan P. Goepfert, Baran Sumer, Ashok Shaha, Michael E. Kupferman Pages 689-704. In Cutaneous Melanoma
Brian Gastman, Rebecca Knackstedt, Ryan P. Goepfert, Baran Sumer, Ashok Shaha, Michael E. Kupferman (2020). Springer https://link.springer.com/referencework/10.1007/978-3-030-05070-2
Honors & Awards
- D-Magazine Best Doctors
- Winner Lloyd Storrs Resident Award (Mentor)
- Alan MacDiarmid Interdisciplinary Research- Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine
- Triological Society Francis Lederer
FUSION Grant for Nanotechnology Research (2011)
- American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
Research Award (2008)
- Texas Instruments Corporate Award
Research Grant (2008)
- University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Department of Clinical Sciences
Research Grant (2008)
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) (2020)
- Fellow Triological Society (2018)
- American Society for Clinical Oncology (ASCO) (2011)
- American Board of Otolaryngology (ABO) (2007)
- American Head and Neck Society (2007)
- Dallas County Medical Society (DCMS) (2007)
- Harold C. Simmons NCI Designated Cancer Center (2007)
- Texas Association of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery (TAO) (2007)
- American Academy of Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery
- American Association for Cancer Research
- American College of Surgeons
- Texas Medical Association