Baran D. Sumer, M.D., is Professor and Chief of the Division of Head and Neck Oncology in UT Southwestern Medical Center's Department of Otolaryngology, where he has served on the faculty since 2007. A specialist in head and neck cancer surgery and reconstruction, Dr. Sumer is also Director of the Head and Neck Oncology Disease Oriented Team at the Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center and holds the T.C. Lupton Family Professorship in Patient Care.
After receiving a B.A. at Rutgers University, Dr. Sumer earned his medical degree from Case Western Reserve University. He then completed an internship in general surgery, a residency in otolaryngology, and a fellowship in head and neck oncologic surgery with a focus on transoral laser surgery and microvascular reconstruction at the Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine.
Dr. Sumer is on the clinical staff at the North Texas VA Medical Center, the Children’s Medical Center of Dallas, UT Southwestern Medical Center, and Parkland Health & Hospital System, all in Dallas, Texas.
He has participated in a wide variety of research studies devoted to advancing diagnostic and therapeutic techniques and technologies for head and neck cancer such as fluorescent imaging, biosensing, photodynamic therapy, multimodal therapies, and oral cancer surgical reconstruction techniques.
He serves as a reviewer for several peer-reviewed journals, including Nature Biomedical Engineering, Head and Neck, Laryngoscope, Experimental Biology and Medicine, International Journal of Otolaryngology, Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, and is an editor for the Annals of Surgical Oncology.
Among numerous recognitions, honors, and awards, Dr. Sumer has been recognized as among the best otolaryngology physicians in North Texas by D Magazine, is the recipient of a Texas Instruments Corporate Award Research Gift, the Triological Society Francis Lederer FUSION Grant for Nanotechnology Research, and the SEBM Best Paper Award in the Alan MacDiarmid Interdisciplinary Research Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine. He serves as principal investigator on several research projects funded by R01 and U01 awards from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the National Cancer Institute (NCI), and grants from the Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas (CPRIT), and biotechnology companies such as OncoNano Medicine.
- Medical School
- Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine (2001)
- Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine (2002), General Surgery
- Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine (2006), Otolaryngology
- Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine (2007), Head & Neck Oncologic Surgery
- AI Guided Surgery
- Cancer Imaging
- Cancer Immunology
- Cancer Metabolism
- Image Guided Surgery
- Machine Learning
- Molecular Imaging
- Optical Imaging
- Precision Surgery
- COVID-19 Pandemic and Surgical Oncology: Preserving the Academic Mission.
- Pawlik TM, Tyler DS, Sumer B, Meric-Bernstam F, Okereke IC, Beane JD, Dedhia PH, Ejaz A, McMasters KM, Tanabe KK, Ann. Surg. Oncol. 2020 Aug 27 8 2591-2599
- Exploiting metabolic acidosis in solid cancers using a tumor-agnostic pH-activatable nanoprobe for fluorescence-guided surgery.
- Voskuil FJ, Steinkamp PJ, Zhao T, van der Vegt B, Koller M, Doff JJ, Jayalakshmi Y, Hartung JP, Gao J, Sumer BD, Witjes MJH, van Dam GM, Nat Commun 2020 06 11 1 3257
- Tumor-Targeted Inhibition of Monocarboxylate Transporter 1 Improves T-Cell Immunotherapy of Solid Tumors.
- Huang T, Feng Q, Wang Z, Li W, Sun Z, Wilhelm J, Huang G, Vo T, Sumer BD, Gao J, Adv Healthc Mater 2020 May e2000549
- Head and neck oncology during the COVID-19 pandemic: Reconsidering traditional treatment paradigms in light of new surgical and other multilevel risks.
- Day AT, Sher DJ, Lee RC, Truelson JM, Myers LL, Sumer BD, Stankova L, Tillman BN, Hughes RS, Khan SA, Gordin EA, Oral Oncol. 2020 Apr 105 104684
- In Reply to Mendenhall et al.
- Sher DJ, Timmerman RD, Nedzi L, Ding C, Pham NL, Zhao B, Sumer BD, Int. J. Radiat. Oncol. Biol. Phys. 2020 Jan 106 1 221
- Detection of Lymph Node Metastases by Ultra-pH-Sensitive Polymeric Nanoparticles.
- Bennett ZT, Feng Q, Bishop JA, Huang G, Sumer BD, Gao J, Theranostics 2020 10 7 3340-3350
- Head and neck neuroendocrine tumors at a single institution over 15 years.
- Bacalao M, Beg MS, Cavuoti D, Zhu H, Sumer B, Myers L, Truelson J, Nedzi L, Sher D, Hughes R, Khan SA, Clin Case Rep 2019 Dec 7 12 2508-2512
- Translational Research: Bridging the Gap between Fundamental Research and the Clinic.
- Dai Z, Man NK, Parak WJ, Smith B, Sumer BD, Tang BZ, van Hest J, Rotello VM, Bioconjug. Chem. 2019 Dec 30 12 2989-2990
- Unique Patterns of Distant Metastases in HPV-Positive Head and Neck Cancer.
- Sacks R, Law JY, Zhu H, Beg MS, Gerber DE, Sumer BD, Myers LL, Truelson JM, Nedzi L, Sher D, Hughes RS, Khan SA, Oncology 2019 Dec 1-7
- Head and Neck Cancer Detection in Digitized Whole-Slide Histology Using Convolutional Neural Networks.
- Halicek M, Shahedi M, Little JV, Chen AY, Myers LL, Sumer BD, Fei B, Sci Rep 2019 Oct 9 1 14043
Clinical Applications of Heme Biosynthetic Pathway: Photodynamic Therapy with Protoporphyrin IX. In Heme Biology: The Secret Life of Heme in Regulating Diverse Biological Processes
Ding H, Sumer BD, Gao J (2011).
Theranostic Polymeric Micelles for Cancer Imaging and Therapy,. In Multifunctional Nanoparticles for Drug Delivery Applications
Huang G, Khemtong C, Bey EA, Boothman DA, Sumer BD, Gao J. (257-276 (2012).). Svenson S, Prod?homme R.K. Springer Science & Business Media, Inc
Goebel JA, Sumer BD (2006). New York, Theme Publishers
Oral Cavity Cancer. In Decision-Making in Plastic Surgery
Sumer BD, Myers LL (2010). Quality Medical Publishing
Neck Dissection and Parotidectomy for Melanoma Brian Gastman, Rebecca Knackstedt, Ryan P. Goepfert, Baran Sumer, Ashok Shaha, Michael E. Kupferman Pages 689-704. In Cutaneous Melanoma
Brian Gastman, Rebecca Knackstedt, Ryan P. Goepfert, Baran Sumer, Ashok Shaha, Michael E. Kupferman (2020). Springer https://link.springer.com/referencework/10.1007/978-3-030-05070-2
Honors & Awards
- D-Magazine Best Doctors
- Winner Lloyd Storrs Resident Award (Mentor)
- Alan MacDiarmid Interdisciplinary Research- Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine
- Triological Society Francis Lederer
FUSION Grant for Nanotechnology Research (2011)
- American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
Research Award (2008)
- Texas Instruments Corporate Award
Research Grant (2008)
- University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Department of Clinical Sciences
Research Grant (2008)
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) (2020)
- Fellow Triological Society (2018)
- American Society for Clinical Oncology (ASCO) (2011)
- American Board of Otolaryngology (ABO) (2007)
- American Head and Neck Society (2007)
- Dallas County Medical Society (DCMS) (2007)
- Harold C. Simmons NCI Designated Cancer Center (2007)
- Texas Association of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery (TAO) (2007)
- American Academy of Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery
- American Association for Cancer Research
- American College of Surgeons
- Texas Medical Association