Baran D. Sumer, M.D., is Associate Professor and Chief of the Division of Head and Neck Oncology in UT Southwestern Medical Center's Department of Otolaryngology, where he has served on the faculty since 2007. A specialist in head and neck cancer surgery and reconstruction, Dr. Sumer is also Director of the Head and Neck Oncology Disease Oriented Team at the Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center.
After receiving a B.A. at Rutgers University, Dr. Sumer earned his medical degree from Case Western Reserve University. He then completed an internship in general surgery, a residency in otolaryngology, and a fellowship in head and neck oncologic surgery with a focus on transoral laser surgery and microvascular reconstruction at the Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine.
Dr. Sumer is on the clinical staff at the North Texas VA Medical Center, the Children’s Medical Center of Dallas, UT Southwestern Medical Center, and Parkland Health & Hospital System, all in Dallas, Texas.
He has participated in a wide variety of research studies devoted to advancing diagnostic and therapeutic techniques and technologies for head and neck cancer such as fluorescent imaging, biosensing, photodynamic therapy, multimodal therapies, and oral cancer surgical reconstruction techniques.
He serves as a reviewer for several peer-reviewed journals, including Nature Biomedical Engineering, Head and Neck, Laryngoscope, Experimental Biology and Medicine, International Journal of Otolaryngology, Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, and is an editor for the Annals of Surgical Oncology.
Among numerous recognitions, honors, and awards, Dr. Sumer has been recognized as among the best otolaryngology physicians in North Texas by D Magazine, is the recipient of a Texas Instruments Corporate Award Research Gift, the Triological Society Francis Lederer FUSION Grant for Nanotechnology Research, and the SEBM Best Paper Award in the Alan MacDiarmid Interdisciplinary Research Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine. He serves as principal investigator on several research projects funded by R01 and U01 awards from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the National Cancer Institute (NCI), and grants from the Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas (CPRIT), and biotechnology companies such as OncoNano Medicine.
- Medical School
- Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine (2001)
- Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine (2002), General Surgery
- Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine (2006), Otolaryngology
- Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine (2007), Head & Neck Oncologic Surgery
- AI Guided Surgery
- Cancer Imaging
- Cancer Immunology
- Cancer Metabolism
- Image Guided Surgery
- Machine Learning
- Molecular Imaging
- Optical Imaging
- Precision Surgery
- Association between treatment delays and oncologic outcome in patients treated with surgery and radiotherapy for head and neck cancer.
- Tumati V, Hoang L, Sumer BD, Truelson JM, Myers LL, Khan S, Hughes RS, Nedzi L, Sher DJ Head Neck 2019 Feb 41 2 315-321
- Risk of unplanned hospital encounters in patients treated with radiotherapy for head and neck squamous cell carcinoma.
- Moore ZR, Pham NL, Shah JL, Nedzi L, Sumer BD, Day A, Khan SA, Sher DJ J Pain Symptom Manage 2019 Jan
- Comparative effectiveness of primary radiotherapy versus surgery in elderly patients with locally advanced oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma.
- Sher DJ, Yan J, Day A, Sumer BD, Pham NL, Khan S, Zhu H Oral Oncol. 2019 Jan 88 18-26
- Metabolism to Enhance Radiation Therapy Responses.
- Lewis JE, Singh N, Holmila RJ, Sumer BD, Williams NS, Furdui CM, Kemp ML, Boothman DA Semin Radiat Oncol 2019 01 29 1 6-15
- Optical molecular imaging for tumor detection and image-guided surgery.
- Wang C, Wang Z, Zhao T, Li Y, Huang G, Sumer BD, Gao J Biomaterials 2018 Mar 157 62-75
- Treatment Deintensification for Human Papillomavirus-Associated Oropharyngeal Cancer.
- Arnaoutakis D, Sumer BD Ann. Surg. Oncol. 2017 Aug
- Clinical Practice in PET/CT for the Management of Head and Neck Squamous Cell Cancer.
- Goel R, Moore W, Sumer B, Khan S, Sher D, Subramaniam RM AJR Am J Roentgenol 2017 Aug 209 2 289-303
- Model to Predict Cause-Specific Mortality in Patients with Head and Neck Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma: A Competing Risk Analysis.
- Imanguli M, Sumer BD Ann. Surg. Oncol. 2017 May
- Phantom-to-clinic development of hypofractionated stereotactic body radiotherapy for early-stage glottic laryngeal cancer.
- Ding C, Chun SG, Sumer BD, Nedzi LA, Abdulrahman RE, Yordy JS, Lee P, Hrycushko B, Solberg TD, Ahn C, Timmerman RD, Schwartz DL Med Dosim 2017 Apr
- SBRT for early-stage glottic larynx cancer-Initial clinical outcomes from a phase I clinical trial.
- Schwartz DL, Sosa A, Chun SG, Ding C, Xie XJ, Nedzi LA, Timmerman RD, Sumer BD PLoS ONE 2017 12 3 e0172055
Clinical Applications of Heme Biosynthetic Pathway: Photodynamic Therapy with Protoporphyrin IX. In Heme Biology: The Secret Life of Heme in Regulating Diverse Biological Processes
Ding H, Sumer BD, Gao J (2011).
Theranostic Polymeric Micelles for Cancer Imaging and Therapy,. In Multifunctional Nanoparticles for Drug Delivery Applications
Huang G, Khemtong C, Bey EA, Boothman DA, Sumer BD, Gao J. (257-276 (2012).). Svenson S, Prod?homme R.K. Springer Science & Business Media, Inc
Goebel JA, Sumer BD (2006). New York, Theme Publishers
Oral Cavity Cancer. In Decision-Making in Plastic Surgery
Sumer BD, Myers LL (2010). Quality Medical Publishing
Honors & Awards
- D-Magazine Best Doctors
- Winner Lloyd Storrs Resident Award (Mentor)
- Alan MacDiarmid Interdisciplinary Research- Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine
- Triological Society Francis Lederer
FUSION Grant for Nanotechnology Research (2011)
- American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
Research Award (2008)
- Texas Instruments Corporate Award
Research Grant (2008)
- University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Department of Clinical Sciences
Research Grant (2008)
- Fellow Triological Society (2018)
- American Society for Clinical Oncology (ASCO) (2011)
- American Board of Otolaryngology (ABO) (2007)
- American Head and Neck Society (2007)
- Dallas County Medical Society (DCMS) (2007)
- Harold C. Simmons NCI Designated Cancer Center (2007)
- Texas Association of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery (TAO) (2007)
- American Academy of Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery
- American Association for Cancer Research
- American College of Surgeons
- Texas Medical Association