Baran D. Sumer, M.D., is Professor and Chief of the Division of Head and Neck Oncology in UT Southwestern Medical Center's Department of Otolaryngology, where he has served on the faculty since 2007. A specialist in head and neck cancer surgery and reconstruction, Dr. Sumer is also Director of the Head and Neck Oncology Disease Oriented Team at the Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center and holds the T.C. Lupton Family Professorship in Patient Care.
After receiving a B.A. at Rutgers University, Dr. Sumer earned his medical degree from Case Western Reserve University. He then completed an internship in general surgery, a residency in otolaryngology, and a fellowship in head and neck oncologic surgery with a focus on transoral laser surgery and microvascular reconstruction at the Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine.
Dr. Sumer is on the clinical staff at the North Texas VA Medical Center, the Children’s Medical Center of Dallas, UT Southwestern Medical Center, and Parkland Health & Hospital System, all in Dallas, Texas.
He has participated in a wide variety of research studies devoted to advancing diagnostic and therapeutic techniques and technologies for head and neck cancer such as fluorescent imaging, biosensing, photodynamic therapy, multimodal therapies, and oral cancer surgical reconstruction techniques.
He serves as a reviewer for several peer-reviewed journals, including Nature Biomedical Engineering, Head and Neck, Laryngoscope, Experimental Biology and Medicine, International Journal of Otolaryngology, Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, and is an editor for the Annals of Surgical Oncology.
Among numerous recognitions, honors, and awards, Dr. Sumer has been recognized as among the best otolaryngology physicians in North Texas by D Magazine, is the recipient of a Texas Instruments Corporate Award Research Gift, the Triological Society Francis Lederer FUSION Grant for Nanotechnology Research, and the SEBM Best Paper Award in the Alan MacDiarmid Interdisciplinary Research Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine. He serves as principal investigator on several research projects funded by R01 and U01 awards from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the National Cancer Institute (NCI), and grants from the Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas (CPRIT), and biotechnology companies such as OncoNano Medicine.
- Medical School
- Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine (2001)
- Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine (2002), General Surgery
- Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine (2006), Otolaryngology
- Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine (2007), Head & Neck Oncologic Surgery
- AI Guided Surgery
- Cancer Imaging
- Cancer Immunology
- Cancer Metabolism
- Image Guided Surgery
- Machine Learning
- Molecular Imaging
- Optical Imaging
- Precision Surgery
- Polyvalent design in the cGAS-STING pathway.
- Bennett ZT, Li S, Sumer BD, Gao J, Semin Immunol 2021 Dec 101580
- Prognostic impact of matted lymphadenopathy in patients with oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma treated with definitive chemoradiotherapy.
- Burningham K, Moore W, Moon D, Avkshtol V, Day AT, Sumer B, Vo D, Bishop JA, Hughes R, Sher DJ, Oral Oncol 2021 Nov 123 105623
- Global wealth disparities drive adherence to COVID-safe pathways in head and neck cancer surgery.
- BJS Open 2021 11 5 6
- Institutional patterns of head and neck oncology care during the early phase of the COVID-19 pandemic: A retrospective, pooled cross-sectional analysis.
- Shah A, Sumer BD, Schostag K, Balachandra S, Sher DJ, Gordin EA, Day AT, Oral Oncol 2021 Oct 122 105564
- Effect of COVID-19 pandemic lockdowns on planned cancer surgery for 15 tumour types in 61 countries: an international, prospective, cohort study.
- Lancet Oncol 2021 Oct
- Substance use and mental health burden in head and neck and other cancer survivors: A National Health Interview Survey analysis.
- Balachandra S, Eary RL, Lee R, Wynings EM, Sher DJ, Sura T, Liu Y, Tillman BN, Sumer BD, Arnold EM, Tiro JA, Lee SC, Day AT, Cancer 2021 Sep
- The Changing Demographics and Treatment of Larynx Cancer.
- Han J, Sumer BD, Ann Surg Oncol 2021 Aug
- Extracapsular extension, pathologic node status, and adjuvant treatment in primary surgery patients with human papillomavirus-mediated oropharyngeal cancer: A national hospital-based retrospective cohort analysis.
- Day AT, Yang AM, Tanamal P, Blackwell JM, Wang E, Sumer BD, Bishop JA, Hughes RS, Khan SA, Sher DJ, Head Neck 2021 Jul
- Editorial: Cancer Staging in Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Vermilion Lip.
- Sumer BD, Ann Surg Oncol 2021 06 28 6 2944-2945
- Intraoperative molecular imaging clinical trials: a review of 2020 conference proceedings.
- Azari F, Kennedy G, Bernstein E, Hadjipanayis C, Vahrmeijer A, Smith B, Rosenthal E, Sumer B, Tian J, Henderson E, Lee A, Nguyen Q, Gibbs S, Pogue B, Orringer D, Charalampaki C, Martin L, Tanyi J, Lee M, Lee JY, Singhal S, J Biomed Opt 2021 May 26 5
Clinical Applications of Heme Biosynthetic Pathway: Photodynamic Therapy with Protoporphyrin IX. In Heme Biology: The Secret Life of Heme in Regulating Diverse Biological Processes
Ding H, Sumer BD, Gao J (2011).
Theranostic Polymeric Micelles for Cancer Imaging and Therapy,. In Multifunctional Nanoparticles for Drug Delivery Applications
Huang G, Khemtong C, Bey EA, Boothman DA, Sumer BD, Gao J. (257-276 (2012).). Svenson S, Prod?homme R.K. Springer Science & Business Media, Inc
Goebel JA, Sumer BD (2006). New York, Theme Publishers
Oral Cavity Cancer. In Decision-Making in Plastic Surgery
Sumer BD, Myers LL (2010). Quality Medical Publishing
Neck Dissection and Parotidectomy for Melanoma Brian Gastman, Rebecca Knackstedt, Ryan P. Goepfert, Baran Sumer, Ashok Shaha, Michael E. Kupferman Pages 689-704. In Cutaneous Melanoma
Brian Gastman, Rebecca Knackstedt, Ryan P. Goepfert, Baran Sumer, Ashok Shaha, Michael E. Kupferman (2020). Springer https://link.springer.com/referencework/10.1007/978-3-030-05070-2
Honors & Awards
- D-Magazine Best Doctors
- Winner Lloyd Storrs Resident Award (Mentor)
- Alan MacDiarmid Interdisciplinary Research- Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine
- Triological Society Francis Lederer
FUSION Grant for Nanotechnology Research (2011)
- American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
Research Award (2008)
- Texas Instruments Corporate Award
Research Grant (2008)
- University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Department of Clinical Sciences
Research Grant (2008)
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) (2020)
- Fellow Triological Society (2018)
- American Society for Clinical Oncology (ASCO) (2011)
- American Board of Otolaryngology (ABO) (2007)
- American Head and Neck Society (2007)
- Dallas County Medical Society (DCMS) (2007)
- Harold C. Simmons NCI Designated Cancer Center (2007)
- Texas Association of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery (TAO) (2007)
- American Academy of Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery
- American Association for Cancer Research
- American College of Surgeons
- Texas Medical Association