Dr. Alexandra (Alex) Callan serves as the Director of Orthopaedic Oncology at UT Southwestern. As a musculoskeletal oncologist, Dr. Callan cares for patients with sarcomas, metastatic bone disease, complex joint replacements, and other bone and soft tissue tumors of the body. She works closely with a multidisciplinary sarcoma team at UT Southwestern, Children’s Health, and Parkland Memorial Hospital.
While born in Denver, Colorado – she calls The Woodlands, Texas home. She graduated from the University of Notre Dame with a Bachelor’s of Science degree and a love for Irish football! Following college, she joined the Teach for America Corps to teach high school science and coach volleyball, basketball, and softball in Houston. Subsequently, she attended medical school at Baylor College of Medicine where she found a passion for surgery. Alex complete her Orthopaedic Surgery Residency at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville, Tennessee and Orthopeadic Oncology Fellowship at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas. Dr. Callan continues to grow the Sarcoma Program at UT Southwestern. She has a gift for teaching residents and medical students and a dedication to excellent, personalized patient care.
In her free time, she enjoys wakeboarding, live music, snowboarding, travel and adventure.
- Medical School
- Baylor College of Medicine (2011)
- Vanderbilt University Medical Center (2016), Orthopedic Surgery
- UT MD Anderson Cancer Center (2017), Orthopedic Oncology
- Clinical and Functional Outcomes in Orthopaedic Oncology
- Limb Salvage Techniques for Osteosarcoma and Ewing Sarcoma
- Metastatic Bone Disease
- Quality of Life in Musculoskeletal Oncology
- Deep Spine Infection After Acupuncture in the Setting of Spinal Instrumentation.
- Callan AK, Bauer JM, Martus JE Spine Deform 2016 Mar 4 2 156-161
- On-Call Communication in Orthopaedic Trauma: "A Picture Is Worth a Thousand Words"--A Survey of OTA Members.
- Molina CS, Callan AK, Burgos EJ, Mir HR J Orthop Trauma 2015 May 29 5 e194-7
Honors & Awards
- Dedman Family Scholar in Clinical Care
- Musculoskeletal Tumor Society (2016)
- Ruth Jackson Orthopaedic Society (2016)
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (2011)