Dr. Mittal is Division Chief of Pediatric Hospital Medicine at UT Southwestern and a pediatric hospitalist at Children’s Health. Her clinical practice involves care of hospitalized children. She is passionate about streamlining care, practicing evidence-based medicine, clinical and quality improvement research and bedside teaching. She implemented family-centered rounds in 2008 and leads the inpatient bronchiolitis and asthma guideline projects. She is a UTSW Colleges mentor. Dr. Mittal’s research interests include respiratory illness, high flow nasal cannula use, benchmarking care and quality metrics, and coordination of care. She is the site lead for the Pediatric Research in Inpatient Setting (PRIS) network, co-leads the CHAT (Children’s Hospitals Across Texas) bronchiolitis project, and is a member of Children’s Hospital Association’s Pediatric Health Information System (PHIS)-Hospital Medicine research group. Recently, she was elected to be the President-elect for the Medical and Dental Staff at Children’s Medical Center Dallas (2017-2019).
Dr. Mittal is a graduate of Academic Pediatric Association (APA) Educational Scholars Program (ESP) and has been a mentor for the program. She founded the APA Family-Centered Care Special Interest Group (SIG) in 2008 and was elected to Co-chair the APA Pediatric Hospital Medicine (PHM) SIG. In this role, she served as a member of the PHM annual conference planning committee, member of Joint Council of the PHM and member of the PHM and American Board of Pediatrics (ABP) Sub-board Certification Petition and Leadership group. She co-chaired the annual PHM conference in 2015. In 2017, after the PHM subspecialty petition was approved, Dr. Mittal accepted the position to be a Medical Editor at the ABP PHM Sub-board. In this role, she will serve as a content expert for the PHM Certification exam.
- Medical School
- Unlisted - International Colle
- Evidence-based medicine
- Family-centered rounds
- Healthcare IT
- Quality improvement
- Value-based care
- Impact of Discharge Components on Readmission Rates for Children Hospitalized with Asthma.
- Parikh K, Hall M, Kenyon CC, Teufel RJ, Mussman GM, Montalbano A, Gold J, Antoon JW, Subramony A, Mittal V, Morse RB, Wilson KM, Shah SS, J. Pediatr. 2018 04 195 175-181.e2
- Use of Post-Acute Facility Care in Children Hospitalized With Acute Respiratory Illness.
- Berry J, Wilson K, Dumas H, Simpser E, O'Brien J, Whitford K, May R, Mittal V, Murphy N, Steinhorn D, Agrawal R, Rehm K, Marks M, Traul C, Dribbon M, Haines C, Hall M J Hosp Med 2017 Aug 12 8 626-631
- Families as Partners in Hospital Error and Adverse Event Surveillance.
- Khan A, Coffey M, Litterer KP, Baird JD, Furtak SL, Garcia BM, Ashland MA, Calaman S, Kuzma NC, O'Toole JK, Patel A, Rosenbluth G, Destino LA, Everhart JL, Good BP, Hepps JH, Dalal AK, Lipsitz SR, Yoon CS, Zigmont KR, Srivastava R, Starmer AJ, Sectish TC, Spector ND, West DC, Landrigan CP, Allair BK, Alminde C, Alvarado-Little W, Atsatt M, Aylor ME, Bale JF, Balmer D, Barton KT, Beck C, Bismilla Z, Blankenberg RL, Chandler D, Choudhary A, Christensen E, Coghlan-McDonald S, Cole FS, Corless E, Cray S, Da Silva R, Dahale D, Dreyer B, Growdon AS, Gubler L, Guiot A, Harris R, Haskell H, Kocolas I, Kruvand E, Lane MM, Langrish K, Ledford CJ, Lewis K, Lopreiato JO, Maloney CG, Mangan A, Markle P, Mendoza F, Micalizzi DA, Mittal V, Obermeyer M, O'Donnell KA, Ottolini M, Patel SJ, Pickler R, Rogers JE, Sanders LM, Sauder K, Shah SS, Sharma M, Simpkin A, Subramony A, Thompson ED, Trueman L, Trujillo T, Turmelle MP, Warnick C, Welch C, White AJ, Wien MF, Winn AS, Wintch S, Wolf M, Yin HS, Yu CE JAMA Pediatr 2017 Feb
- Long length of hospital stay in children with medical complexity.
- Gold JM, Hall M, Shah SS, Thomson J, Subramony A, Mahant S, Mittal V, Wilson KM, Morse R, Mussman GM, Hametz P, Montalbano A, Parikh K, Ishman S, O'Neill M, Berry JG J Hosp Med 2016 Jul
- Pediatric Hospital Discharges to Home Health and Postacute Facility Care: A National Study.
- Berry JG, Hall M, Dumas H, Simpser E, Whitford K, Wilson KM, O'Neill M, Mittal V, Agrawal R, Dribbon M, Haines CJ, Traul C, Marks M, O'Brien J JAMA Pediatr 2016 Apr 170 4 326-33
- Improved Magnetic Resonance Imaging Utilization for Children with Musculoskeletal Infection.
- Mueller AJ, Kwon JK, Steiner JW, Mittal VS, Fernandes NJ, Jo CH, Lindsay EA, Copley LA J Bone Joint Surg Am 2015 Nov 97 22 1869-76
- Comparative Effectiveness of Dexamethasone versus Prednisone in Children Hospitalized with Asthma.
- Parikh K, Hall M, Mittal V, Montalbano A, Gold J, Mahant S, Wilson KM, Shah SS J. Pediatr. 2015 Sep 167 3 639-44.e1
- Association of National Guidelines With Tonsillectomy Perioperative Care and Outcomes.
- Mahant S, Hall M, Ishman SL, Morse R, Mittal V, Mussman GM, Gold J, Montalbano A, Srivastava R, Wilson KM, Shah SS Pediatrics 2015 Jul 136 1 53-60
- Establishing Benchmarks for the Hospitalized Care of Children With Asthma, Bronchiolitis, and Pneumonia.
- Parikh K, Hall M, Mittal V, Montalbano A, Mussman GM, Morse RB, Hain P, Wilson KM, Shah SS Pediatrics 2014 Aug
- Family-centered rounds.
- Mittal V Pediatr. Clin. North Am. 2014 Aug 61 4 663-70
Diseases Unique to the Newborn. In Shah SS, Alverson B, Ronan J, eds. Step-Up to Pediatrics.
Mittal V. (2014). Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 391-430.
Honors & Awards
- Best Doctors in Dallas
D Magazine (2016)
- President Elect, Medical Dental Staff
Children's Medical Center Dallas (2016)
- Core Clerkship Teaching Award
UT Southwestern Medical School (2011)
- Faculty Teaching Award
Pediatric Residency Program, UT Southwestern Medical School (2010-2012)
- Faculty Teaching Award
Saint Peter's University Hospital, NJ (2006)
- Co-Chair, Inpatient Operational Committee
Saint Peter's University Hospital, New Brunswick, NJ (2005-2007)
- Member of Educational Committee
Saint Peter's University Hospital Pediatric Residency Program, New Brunswick, NJ (2005-2007)
- Resident Teaching Award
Hasbro Children's Hospital, Brown Medical School, Providence, RI (2004)
- Senior Registrar (Chief Resident)
Department of Pediatrics, KEM Hospital, Mumbai, India (0)
- PHM Inaugural Pediatric Hospital Medicine Certification Group (2016)
- Academic Pediatric Association (2007)
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Fellow (2006)