Dr. Dunbar is originally from Texas and graduated from UT Southwestern Medical School. She completed her internal medicine residency at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland and was selected to be an Assistant Chief of Service for the program. Her gastroenterology and hepatology fellowship was also at Johns Hopkins, where she completed a PhD in clinical investigation. She is the Section Chief of Gastroenterology at the Dallas VA Medical Center and is an Associate Program Director for the UTSW Internal Medicine residency program. Her clinical and research interests include Barrett’s esophagus, gastroesophageal reflux disease, esophageal motility disorders, eosinophilic esophagitis, and novel endoscopic imaging technologies.
- Rice University (1995), Biochemistry
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2000), Medicine
- Graduate School
- Johns Hopkins University (2012), Clinical Investigation
- Barrett's esophagus
- Eosinophilic esophagitis
- Esophageal motility disorders
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease
- Novel endoscopic imaging
- Randomized Trial of Medical versus Surgical Treatment for Refractory Heartburn.
- Spechler SJ, Hunter JG, Jones KM, Lee R, Smith BR, Mashimo H, Sanchez VM, Dunbar KB, Pham TH, Murthy UK, Kim T, Jackson CS, Wallen JM, von Rosenvinge EC, Pearl JP, Laine L, Kim AW, Kaz AM, Tatum RP, Gellad ZF, Lagoo-Deenadayalan S, Rubenstein JH, Ghaferi AA, Lo WK, Fernando RS, Chan BS, Paski SC, Provenzale D, Castell DO, Lieberman D, Souza RF, Chey WD, Warren SR, Davis-Karim A, Melton SD, Genta RM, Serpi T, Biswas K, Huang GD, N. Engl. J. Med. 2019 10 381 16 1513-1523
- Association of Acute Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease With Esophageal Histologic Changes.
- Dunbar KB, Agoston AT, Odze RD, Huo X, Pham TH, Cipher DJ, Castell DO, Genta RM, Souza RF, Spechler SJ JAMA 2016 May 315 19 2104-12
- In Barrett's epithelial cells, weakly acidic bile salt solutions cause oxidative DNA damage with response and repair mediated by p38.
- Huo X, Dunbar KB, Zhang X, Zhang Q, Spechler SJ, Souza RF, Am. J. Physiol. Gastrointest. Liver Physiol. 2020 03 318 3 G464-G478
- Efficacy of Prophylactic Hemoclips in Prevention of Delayed Post-Polypectomy Bleeding in Patients with Large Colonic Polyps.
- Feagins LA, Smith AD, Kim D, Halai A, Duttala S, Chebaa B, Lunsford T, Vizuete J, Mara M, Mascarenhas R, Meghani R, Kundrotas L, Dunbar KB, Cipher DJ, Harford WV, Spechler SJ, Gastroenterology 2019 May
- Aberrant p53 Immunostaining in Barrett's Esophagus Predicts Neoplastic Progression: Systematic Review and Meta-Analyses.
- Snyder P, Dunbar K, Cipher DJ, Souza RF, Spechler SJ, Konda VJA, Dig. Dis. Sci. 2019 05 64 5 1089-1097
- Beyond Dysplasia Grade: The Role of Biomarkers in Stratifying Risk.
- Dunbar KB, Souza RF Gastrointest. Endosc. Clin. N. Am. 2017 Jul 27 3 447-459
- Unique Clinical Features of Los Angeles Grade D Esophagitis Suggest That Factors Other Than Gastroesophageal Reflux Contribute to its Pathogenesis.
- Nguyen AD, Spechler SJ, Shuler MN, Souza RF, Dunbar KB J. Clin. Gastroenterol. 2017 Jun
- How to Approach Lymphocytic Esophagitis.
- Nguyen AD, Dunbar KB Curr Gastroenterol Rep 2017 Jun 19 6 24
- Aspirin prevents NF-?B activation and CDX2 expression stimulated by acid and bile salts in oesophageal squamous cells of patients with Barrett's oesophagus.
- Huo X, Zhang X, Yu C, Cheng E, Zhang Q, Dunbar KB, Pham TH, Lynch JP, Wang DH, Bresalier RS, Spechler SJ, Souza RF Gut 2017 Apr
- Benchmarks for the interpretation of esophageal high-resolution manometry.
- Yadlapati R, Keswani RN, Dunbar KB, Gawron AJ, Gyawali CP, Kahrilas PJ, Katz PO, Katzka D, Spechler SJ, Tatum R, Pandolfino JE Neurogastroenterol. Motil. 2016 Oct
Confocal endomicroscopy. In Gastrointestinal Endoscopy in Practice
Dunbar KB (2011). Elsevier
Esophageal physiology, function tests, and endoscopic techniques. In Johns Hopkins Cardiothoracic Surgery, 2nd ed.
Jodorkovsky D, Clarke JO, Dunbar KB (2014). McGraw Hill Education
Honors & Awards
- D Magazine Best Doctors
- Lyman E. Bilhartz, M.D. Memorial Teaching Award
UT Southwestern, Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Digestive and Liver Diseases (2013)
- UT Southwestern LEAD Program Participant
UT Southwestern Leadership Program (2012)
- World Endoscopy Organization Research Award
Awarded to young investiagor in gastroenterology for endoscopic research excellence (2011)
- Women's Leadership Award
Johns Hopkins Women's Network, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions (2005)
- Alpha Omega Alpha
Medical Honor Society (2000)
- Ho Din Award of the Southwestern Medical Foundation
AWarded to outstanding medical school graduate from UT Southwestern Medical School (2000)
- American Neurogastroenterology and Motility Society (2013)
- American College of Gastroenterology (2006)
- American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (2004)
- American Gastroenterological Association (2003)