Dr. Dunbar is originally from Texas and graduated from UT Southwestern Medical School. She completed her internal medicine residency at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland and was selected to be an Assistant Chief of Service for the program. Her gastroenterology and hepatology fellowship was also at Johns Hopkins, where she completed a PhD in clinical investigation. She is the Section Chief of Gastroenterology at the Dallas VA Medical Center and is an Associate Program Director for the UTSW Internal Medicine residency program. Her clinical and research interests include Barrett’s esophagus, gastroesophageal reflux disease, esophageal motility disorders, eosinophilic esophagitis, and novel endoscopic imaging technologies.
- Barrett's esophagus
- Eosinophilic esophagitis
- Esophageal motility disorders
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease
- Novel endoscopic imaging
- Beyond Dysplasia Grade: The Role of Biomarkers in Stratifying Risk.
- Dunbar KB, Souza RF Gastrointest. Endosc. Clin. N. Am. 2017 Jul 27 3 447-459
- Unique Clinical Features of Los Angeles Grade D Esophagitis Suggest That Factors Other Than Gastroesophageal Reflux Contribute to its Pathogenesis.
- Nguyen AD, Spechler SJ, Shuler MN, Souza RF, Dunbar KB J. Clin. Gastroenterol. 2017 Jun
- How to Approach Lymphocytic Esophagitis.
- Nguyen AD, Dunbar KB Curr Gastroenterol Rep 2017 Jun 19 6 24
- Aspirin prevents NF-?B activation and CDX2 expression stimulated by acid and bile salts in oesophageal squamous cells of patients with Barrett's oesophagus.
- Huo X, Zhang X, Yu C, Cheng E, Zhang Q, Dunbar KB, Pham TH, Lynch JP, Wang DH, Bresalier RS, Spechler SJ, Souza RF Gut 2017 Apr
- Benchmarks for the interpretation of esophageal high-resolution manometry.
- Yadlapati R, Keswani RN, Dunbar KB, Gawron AJ, Gyawali CP, Kahrilas PJ, Katz PO, Katzka D, Spechler SJ, Tatum R, Pandolfino JE Neurogastroenterol. Motil. 2016 Oct
- Hypoxia-inducible factor-2a plays a role in mediating oesophagitis in GORD.
- Huo X, Agoston AT, Dunbar KB, Cipher DJ, Zhang X, Yu C, Cheng E, Zhang Q, Pham TH, Tambar UK, Bruick RK, Wang DH, Odze RD, Spechler SJ, Souza RF Gut 2016 Sep
- A System to Assess the Competency for Interpretation of Esophageal Manometry Identifies Variation in Learning Curves.
- Yadlapati R, Keswani RN, Ciolino JD, Grande DP, Listernick ZI, Carlson DA, Castell DO, Dunbar KB, Gawron AJ, Gyawali CP, Katz PO, Katzka D, Lacy BE, Spechler SJ, Tatum R, Vela MF, Pandolfino JE Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2016 Jul
- NOD-Like Receptor Protein 3 Inflammasome Priming and Activation in Barrett's Epithelial Cells.
- Nadatani Y, Huo X, Zhang X, Yu C, Cheng E, Zhang Q, Dunbar KB, Theiss A, Pham TH, Wang DH, Watanabe T, Fujiwara Y, Arakawa T, Spechler SJ, Souza RF Cell Mol Gastroenterol Hepatol 2016 Jul 2 4 439-453
- Association of Acute Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease With Esophageal Histologic Changes.
- Dunbar KB, Agoston AT, Odze RD, Huo X, Pham TH, Cipher DJ, Castell DO, Genta RM, Souza RF, Spechler SJ JAMA 2016 May 315 19 2104-12
- How Do We Manage Gastric Intestinal Metaplasia? A Survey of Clinical Practice Trends for Gastrointestinal Endoscopists in the United States.
- Vance RB, Kubiliun N, Dunbar KB Dig. Dis. Sci. 2016 Mar
Confocal endomicroscopy. In Gastrointestinal Endoscopy in Practice
Dunbar KB (2011). Elsevier
Esophageal physiology, function tests, and endoscopic techniques. In Johns Hopkins Cardiothoracic Surgery, 2nd ed.
Jodorkovsky D, Clarke JO, Dunbar KB (2014). McGraw Hill Education
Honors & Awards
- D Magazine Best Doctors
- Lyman E. Bilhartz, M.D. Memorial Teaching Award
UT Southwestern, Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Digestive and Liver Diseases (2013)
- UT Southwestern LEAD Program Participant
UT Southwestern Leadership Program (2012)
- World Endoscopy Organization Research Award
Awarded to young investiagor in gastroenterology for endoscopic research excellence (2011)
- Women's Leadership Award
Johns Hopkins Women's Network, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions (2005)
- Alpha Omega Alpha
Medical Honor Society (2000)
- Ho Din Award of the Southwestern Medical Foundation
AWarded to outstanding medical school graduate from UT Southwestern Medical School (2000)
- American Neurogastroenterology and Motility Society (2013)
- American College of Gastroenterology (2006)
- American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (2004)
- American Gastroenterological Association (2003)