Dr. Sarah Barlow received her medical degree from UT Southwestern. She completed her pediatric residency at Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island, and she underwent fellowship training in pediatric gastroenterology and nutrition at Tufts School of Medicine, Floating Hospital for Children in Boston, MA. She also earned a Masters in Public Health at Harvard School of Public Health in 1996. She was board certified in pediatric gastroenterology by the American Board of Pediatrics in 1997.
Dr. Barlow was assistant professor of pediatrics at Saint Louis University from 1998 to 2007, where she established a weight management program. In 2007, she joined the faculty at Baylor College of Medicine as associate professor of pediatrics and was the director of the Texas Children’s Hospital Center for Childhood Obesity. She was an investigator on the Texas Childhood Obesity Research Demonstration project, a study sponsored by the CDC that examined healthcare, school, and early childhood education programs for obesity prevention and care in low income neighborhoods. She was the site principal investigator for the NIDDK-sponsored NASH Clinical Research Network (2013-2016). She joined the pediatrics faculty at UT Southwestern Medical Center in 2016. In addition to caring for gastrointestinal conditions, Dr. Barlow oversees an integrated program in obesity care that spans community programs, primary healthcare and tertiary care.
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical School (1989)
- Brown University School of Medicine (1992), Pediatrics
- Tufts New England Medical Center (1998), Pediatric Gastroenterology
- Management of obesity in children and adolescents
- NAFLD in children and adolescents
- Population health approaches to child and adolescent obesity
- Increased fructose consumption is associated with fibrosis severity in patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.
- Abdelmalek MF, Suzuki A, Guy C, Unalp-Arida A, Colvin R, Johnson RJ, Diehl AM Hepatology 2010 Jun 51 6 1961-71
- Report of the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute's Working Group on obesity and other cardiovascular risk factors in congenital heart disease.
- Pemberton VL, McCrindle BW, Barkin S, Daniels SR, Barlow SE, Binns HJ, Cohen MS, Economos C, Faith MS, Gidding SS, Goldberg CS, Kavey RE, Longmuir P, Rocchini AP, Van Horn L, Kaltman JR Circulation 2010 Mar 121 9 1153-9
- Symptoms and quality of life in obese children and adolescents with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.
- Kistler KD, Molleston J, Unalp A, Abrams SH, Behling C, Schwimmer JB Aliment. Pharmacol. Ther. 2010 Feb 31 3 396-406
- Treatment of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease in children: TONIC trial design.
- Lavine JE, Schwimmer JB, Molleston JP, Scheimann AO, Murray KF, Abrams SH, Rosenthal P, Sanyal AJ, Robuck PR, Brunt EM, Unalp A, Tonascia J Contemp Clin Trials 2010 Jan 31 1 62-70
- An innovative summer camp program improves weight and self-esteem in obese children.
- Wong WW, Abrams SH, Mikhail C, Terrazas NL, Wilson TA, Arceo D, Mrowczynski PK, King KL, Stansel AD, Albright AN, Barlow SE, Brown KO, Brown JD, Klish WJ J. Pediatr. Gastroenterol. Nutr. 2009 Oct 49 4 493-7
- Comparison of noninvasive markers of fibrosis in patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.
- Shah AG, Lydecker A, Murray K, Tetri BN, Contos MJ, Sanyal AJ Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2009 Oct 7 10 1104-12
- Prevalence and trends of severe obesity among US children and adolescents.
- Skelton JA, Cook SR, Auinger P, Klein JD, Barlow SE Acad Pediatr 2009 Sep-Oct 9 5 322-9
- Quality of life in adults with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: baseline data from the nonalcoholic steatohepatitis clinical research network.
- David K, Kowdley KV, Unalp A, Kanwal F, Brunt EM, Schwimmer JB Hepatology 2009 Jun 49 6 1904-12
- Databases and diagnosis of obesity: pitfalls and potential of using ICD-9 codes.
- Barlow SE J. Pediatr. 2009 Mar 154 3 315-7
- Clinical correlates of histopathology in pediatric nonalcoholic steatohepatitis.
- Patton HM, Lavine JE, Van Natta ML, Schwimmer JB, Kleiner D, Molleston J Gastroenterology 2008 Dec 135 6 1961-1971.e2
Assessment of the Obese Child or Adolescent. In Kushner RF, Bessesen DH, eds. Treatment of the Obese Patient.
Barlow SE, Taylor SA, Hastings E, Garland BH. (2014). New York: Springer; 287-304.
Honors & Awards
- Jim Wright Lectureship
University of Alabama at Birmingham (2009)
- Pouncey Memorial Lectureship
Ocshner Childrens Health Center, New Orleans, LA (2009)
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American Heart Association; Atherosclerosis, Hypertension, and Obesity in the Young Committee
- North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition
- Society for Pediatric Research
- The Obesity Society