Dr. Sarah Barlow received her medical degree from UT Southwestern. She completed her pediatric residency at Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island, and she underwent fellowship training in pediatric gastroenterology and nutrition at Tufts School of Medicine, Floating Hospital for Children in Boston, MA. She also earned a Masters in Public Health at Harvard School of Public Health in 1996. She was board certified in pediatric gastroenterology by the American Board of Pediatrics in 1997.
Dr. Barlow was assistant professor of pediatrics at Saint Louis University from 1998 to 2007, where she established a weight management program. In 2007, she joined the faculty at Baylor College of Medicine as associate professor of pediatrics and was the director of the Texas Children’s Hospital Center for Childhood Obesity. She was an investigator on the Texas Childhood Obesity Research Demonstration project, a study sponsored by the CDC that examined healthcare, school, and early childhood education programs for obesity prevention and care in low income neighborhoods. She was the site principal investigator for the NIDDK-sponsored NASH Clinical Research Network (2013-2016). She joined the pediatrics faculty at UT Southwestern Medical Center in 2016. In addition to caring for gastrointestinal conditions, Dr. Barlow oversees an integrated program in obesity care that spans community programs, primary healthcare and tertiary care.
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical School (1989)
- Brown University School of Medicine (1992), Pediatrics
- Tufts New England Medical Center (1998), Pediatric Gastroenterology
- Management of obesity in children and adolescents
- NAFLD in children and adolescents
- Population health approaches to child and adolescent obesity
- Lower serum hepcidin and greater parenchymal iron in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease patients with C282Y HFE mutations.
- Nelson JE, Brunt EM, Kowdley KV Hepatology 2012 Nov 56 5 1730-40
- Association between puberty and features of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.
- Suzuki A, Abdelmalek MF, Schwimmer JB, Lavine JE, Scheimann AO, Unalp-Arida A, Yates KP, Sanyal AJ, Guy CD, Diehl AM Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2012 Jul 10 7 786-94
- Hedgehog pathway activation parallels histologic severity of injury and fibrosis in human nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.
- Guy CD, Suzuki A, Zdanowicz M, Abdelmalek MF, Burchette J, Unalp A, Diehl AM Hepatology 2012 Jun 55 6 1711-21
- Correlation of vitamin E, uric acid, and diet composition with histologic features of pediatric NAFLD.
- Vos MB, Colvin R, Belt P, Molleston JP, Murray KF, Rosenthal P, Schwimmer JB, Tonascia J, Unalp A, Lavine JE J. Pediatr. Gastroenterol. Nutr. 2012 Jan 54 1 90-6
- Update in childhood and adolescent obesity.
- Vos M, Barlow SE Pediatr. Clin. North Am. 2011 Dec 58 6 xv-xvii
- Effect of vitamin E or metformin for treatment of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease in children and adolescents: the TONIC randomized controlled trial.
- Lavine JE, Schwimmer JB, Van Natta ML, Molleston JP, Murray KF, Rosenthal P, Abrams SH, Scheimann AO, Sanyal AJ, Chalasani N, Tonascia J, Ünalp A, Clark JM, Brunt EM, Kleiner DE, Hoofnagle JH, Robuck PR JAMA 2011 Apr 305 16 1659-68
- Physical activity recommendations, exercise intensity, and histological severity of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.
- Kistler KD, Brunt EM, Clark JM, Diehl AM, Sallis JF, Schwimmer JB Am. J. Gastroenterol. 2011 Mar 106 3 460-8; quiz 469
- Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) activity score and the histopathologic diagnosis in NAFLD: distinct clinicopathologic meanings.
- Brunt EM, Kleiner DE, Wilson LA, Belt P, Neuschwander-Tetri BA Hepatology 2011 Mar 53 3 810-20
- Genome-wide association analysis identifies variants associated with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease that have distinct effects on metabolic traits.
- Speliotes EK, Yerges-Armstrong LM, Wu J, Hernaez R, Kim LJ, Palmer CD, Gudnason V, Eiriksdottir G, Garcia ME, Launer LJ, Nalls MA, Clark JM, Mitchell BD, Shuldiner AR, Butler JL, Tomas M, Hoffmann U, Hwang SJ, Massaro JM, O'Donnell CJ, Sahani DV, Salomaa V, Schadt EE, Schwartz SM, Siscovick DS, Voight BF, Carr JJ, Feitosa MF, Harris TB, Fox CS, Smith AV, Kao WH, Hirschhorn JN, Borecki IB PLoS Genet. 2011 Mar 7 3 e1001324
- Clinical, laboratory and histological associations in adults with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.
- Neuschwander-Tetri BA, Clark JM, Bass NM, Van Natta ML, Unalp-Arida A, Tonascia J, Zein CO, Brunt EM, Kleiner DE, McCullough AJ, Sanyal AJ, Diehl AM, Lavine JE, Chalasani N, Kowdley KV Hepatology 2010 Sep 52 3 913-24
Assessment of the Obese Child or Adolescent. In Kushner RF, Bessesen DH, eds. Treatment of the Obese Patient.
Barlow SE, Taylor SA, Hastings E, Garland BH. (2014). New York: Springer; 287-304.
Honors & Awards
- Jim Wright Lectureship
University of Alabama at Birmingham (2009)
- Pouncey Memorial Lectureship
Ocshner Childrens Health Center, New Orleans, LA (2009)
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American Heart Association; Atherosclerosis, Hypertension, and Obesity in the Young Committee
- North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition
- Society for Pediatric Research
- The Obesity Society