Dr. Sarah Barlow received her medical degree from UT Southwestern. She completed her pediatric residency at Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island, and she underwent fellowship training in pediatric gastroenterology and nutrition at Tufts School of Medicine, Floating Hospital for Children in Boston, MA. She also earned a Masters in Public Health at Harvard School of Public Health in 1996. She was board certified in pediatric gastroenterology by the American Board of Pediatrics in 1997.
Dr. Barlow was assistant professor of pediatrics at Saint Louis University from 1998 to 2007, where she established a weight management program. In 2007, she joined the faculty at Baylor College of Medicine as associate professor of pediatrics and was the director of the Texas Children’s Hospital Center for Childhood Obesity. She was an investigator on the Texas Childhood Obesity Research Demonstration project, a study sponsored by the CDC that examined healthcare, school, and early childhood education programs for obesity prevention and care in low income neighborhoods. She was the site principal investigator for the NIDDK-sponsored NASH Clinical Research Network (2013-2016). She joined the pediatrics faculty at UT Southwestern Medical Center in 2016. In addition to caring for gastrointestinal conditions, Dr. Barlow oversees an integrated program in obesity care that spans community programs, primary healthcare and tertiary care.
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical School (1989)
- Brown University School of Medicine (1992), Pediatrics
- Tufts New England Medical Center (1998), Pediatric Gastroenterology
- Management of obesity in children and adolescents
- NAFLD in children and adolescents
- Population health approaches to child and adolescent obesity
- Development and use of an index for measuring implementation of a weight management program in children in primary care clinics in Texas.
- Salahuddin M, Barlow SE, Pont SJ, Butte NF, Hoelscher DM BMC Fam Pract 2018 Dec 19 1 191
- Improvement in Primary Care Provider Self-Efficacy and Use of Patient-Centered Counseling To Address Child Overweight and Obesity after Practice-Based Changes: Texas Childhood Obesity Research Demonstration Study.
- Barlow SE, Salahuddin M, Butte NF, Hoelscher DM, Pont SJ Child Obes 2018 Aug
- Clinically Actionable Hypercholesterolemia and Hypertriglyceridemia in Children with Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease.
- Harlow KE, Africa JA, Wells A, Belt PH, Behling CA, Jain AK, Molleston JP, Newton KP, Rosenthal P, Vos MB, Xanthakos SA, Lavine JE, Schwimmer JB J. Pediatr. 2018 07 198 76-83.e2
- Alanine Aminotransferase as a Monitoring Biomarker in Children with Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease: A Secondary Analysis Using TONIC Trial Data.
- Arsik I, Frediani JK, Frezza D, Chen W, Ayer T, Keskinocak P, Jin R, Konomi JV, Barlow SE, Xanthakos SA, Lavine JE, Vos MB Children (Basel) 2018 May 5 6
- Predictors of Severe Obesity in Low-Income, Predominantly Hispanic/Latino Children: The Texas Childhood Obesity Research Demonstration Study.
- Salahuddin M, Pérez A, Ranjit N, Kelder SH, Barlow SE, Pont SJ, Butte NF, Hoelscher DM Prev Chronic Dis 2017 Dec 14 E141
- Strategies to Recruit a Diverse Low-Income Population to Child Weight Management Programs From Primary Care Practices.
- Barlow SE, Butte NF, Hoelscher DM, Salahuddin M, Pont SJ Prev Chronic Dis 2017 12 14 E138
- Response to the Letters Regarding the North American Society of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition NAFLD Guidelines.
- Vos MB, Abrams SH, Barlow SE, Caprio S, Daniels SR, Kohli R, Mouzaki M, Sathya P, Schwimmer JB, Sundaram SS, Xanthakos SA J. Pediatr. Gastroenterol. Nutr. 2017 Nov 65 5 e115-e116
- Response to Letters Regarding the NASPGHAN NAFLD Guidelines.
- Vos MB, Abrams SH, Barlow SE, Caprio S, Daniels SR, Kohli R, Mouzaki M, Sathya P, Schwimmer JB, Sundaram SS, Xanthakos SA J. Pediatr. Gastroenterol. Nutr. 2017 Sep
- Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease in Hispanic Youth With Dysglycemia: Risk for Subclinical Atherosclerosis?
- Bacha F, Tomsa A, Bartz SK, Barlow SE, Chu ZD, Krishnamurthy R, Krishnamurthy R, Smith EO J Endocr Soc 2017 Aug 1 8 1029-1040
- Efficacy of a community- versus primary care-centered program for childhood obesity: TX CORD RCT.
- Butte NF, Hoelscher DM, Barlow SE, Pont S, Durand C, Vandewater EA, Liu Y, Adolph AL, Pérez A, Wilson TA, Gonzalez A, Puyau MR, Sharma SV, Byrd-Williams C, Oluyomi A, Huang T, Finkelstein EA, Sacher PM, Kelder SH Obesity (Silver Spring) 2017 Jul
Assessment of the Obese Child or Adolescent. In Kushner RF, Bessesen DH, eds. Treatment of the Obese Patient.
Barlow SE, Taylor SA, Hastings E, Garland BH. (2014). New York: Springer; 287-304.
Honors & Awards
- Jim Wright Lectureship
University of Alabama at Birmingham (2009)
- Pouncey Memorial Lectureship
Ocshner Childrens Health Center, New Orleans, LA (2009)
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American Heart Association; Atherosclerosis, Hypertension, and Obesity in the Young Committee
- North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition
- Society for Pediatric Research
- The Obesity Society