Kirsten Tulchin-Francis, PhD is an assistant professor for the Prosthetics-Orthotics Program in the Department of Health Care Sciences. She is also the Division Director of Movement Science at Scottish Rite for Children. Dr Tulchin-Francis' research focuses on the assessment of functional outcomes in pediatric orthopedics, neurology and sports medicine using clinical biomechanics and advanced motion capture and wearable sensor technology. She obtained a BS in Engineering (biomedical and mechanical concentrations) from Trinity College (Hartford, CT) and a MS in Biomedical Engineering from Marquette University (Milwaukee, WI) before moving to Texas in 2000. She went on to receive a PhD in Kinesiology-Biomechanics from Texas Woman's University in 2012.
- Graduate School
- Marquette University (2001), Biomedical Engineering
- Graduate School
- Texas Woman's University (2012), Biomedical Engineering
- Biomechanical and functional evaluation in pediatric patients with hip pathology
- Community ambulation using wearable sensors
- Dynamic spinal mobility in adolescents with idiopathic scoliosis
- Evaluation of human performance in healthy children and adults
- Foot and ankle biomechanics and the relationship between foot structure, motion and plantar pressures
- Functional outcomes and performance in children with lower limb deficiency
- Intensity and duration of intermittent exercise and recovery during a soccer match.
- Orendurff MS, Walker JD, Jovanovic M, Tulchin KL, Levy M, Hoffmann DK J Strength Cond Res 2010 Oct 24 10 2683-92
- The effects of surface slope on multi-segment foot kinematics in healthy adults.
- Tulchin K, Orendurff M, Karol L Gait Posture 2010 Oct 32 4 446-50
- Gait, hip strength and functional outcomes after a Ganz periacetabular osteotomy for adolescent hip dysplasia.
- Sucato DJ, Tulchin K, Shrader MW, DeLaRocha A, Gist T, Sheu G J Pediatr Orthop 2010 Jun 30 4 344-50
- A comparison of multi-segment foot kinematics during level overground and treadmill walking.
- Tulchin K, Orendurff M, Karol L Gait Posture 2010 Jan 31 1 104-8
- Multi-Dimensional Motion of the TALUX Foot System in a Bilateral Below-Knee Amputee
- Tulchin K, Cummings D Journal of Prosthetics and Orthotics 2010 1 22 53-55
- The effects of walking speed on multisegment foot kinematics in adults.
- Tulchin K, Orendurff M, Adolfsen S, Karol L J Appl Biomech 2009 Nov 25 4 377-86
- Effect of sample size and reduced number of principle components on the Gillette Gait Index.
- Tulchin K, Campbell S, Browne R, Orendurff M Gait Posture 2009 Jun 29 4 526-9
Honors & Awards
- AAAS IF/THEN Ambassador
- TWU Outstanding Graduate Student Award
- TWU Chancellor's Student Research Scholar
- POSNA Best Clinical Paper
- GCMAS Best Poster Award
- Pediatric Orthopedic Society of North AmericaC (2014)
- International Society of Biomechanics (2011)
- American Society of Biomechancis (2010)
- Gait and Clinical Movement Analysis Society (1998)