Dr. Williams received his A.S. degree from Collin County Community College in 1997. Dr. Williams subsequently received his B.S. degree in the study of Biology from the University of Texas at Dallas in 1999. In 2006, he completed his Ph.D. in Neuroscience from Tulane University in New Orleans, where he worked with Dr. Bret N. Smith (currently at the University of Kentucky). He joined the Division of Hypothalamic Research in the Department of Internal Medicine here at UT Southwestern, following completion of his postdoctoral studies with Dr. Joel K. Elmquist. His lab uses mouse genetics, electrophysiology, and systems neuroscience approaches to study the cellular mechanisms within the brain which may underlie the coordinated control of food intake, body weight, and glucose homeostasis.
- University of Texas at Dallas (1999), Biology
- Graduate School
- Tulane University of Louisiana (2006), Cognition and Neuroscience
- Central Autonomic Control
- Diabetes and Glucose Homeostasis
- Obesity and Body Weight Homeostasis
- Synaptic Transmission
- MC4R-dependent suppression of appetite by bone-derived lipocalin 2.
- Mosialou I, Shikhel S, Liu JM, Maurizi A, Luo N, He Z, Huang Y, Zong H, Friedman RA, Barasch J, Lanzano P, Deng L, Leibel RL, Rubin M, Nicholas T, Chung W, Zeltser LM, Williams KW, Pessin JE, Kousteni S Nature 2017 Mar 543 7645 385-390
- TrpC5 Mediates Acute Leptin and Serotonin Effects via Pomc Neurons.
- Gao Y, Yao T, Deng Z, Sohn JW, Sun J, Huang Y, Kong X, Yu KJ, Wang RT, Chen H, Guo H, Yan J, Cunningham KA, Chang Y, Liu T, Williams KW Cell Rep 2017 Jan 18 3 583-592
- Ire1a in Pomc Neurons is Required for Thermogenesis and Glycemia.
- Yao T, Deng Z, Gao Y, Sun J, Kong X, Huang Y, He Z, Xu Y, Chang Y, Yu KJ, Findley BG, Berglund ED, Wang RT, Guo H, Chen H, Li X, Kaufman RJ, Yan J, Liu T, Williams KW Diabetes 2016 Dec
- Adiponectin potentiates the acute effects of leptin in arcuate Pomc neurons.
- Sun J, Gao Y, Yao T, Huang Y, He Z, Kong X, Yu KJ, Wang RT, Guo H, Yan J, Chang Y, Chen H, Scherer PE, Liu T, Williams KW Mol Metab 2016 Oct 5 10 882-91
- Connexin 43 Mediates White Adipose Tissue Beiging by Facilitating the Propagation of Sympathetic Neuronal Signals.
- Zhu Y, Gao Y, Tao C, Shao M, Zhao S, Huang W, Yao T, Johnson JA, Liu T, Cypess AM, Gupta O, Holland WL, Gupta RK, Spray DC, Tanowitz HB, Cao L, Lynes MD, Tseng YH, Elmquist JK, Williams KW, Lin HV, Scherer PE Cell Metab. 2016 Sep 24 3 420-33
- Leptin and insulin engage specific PI3K subunits in hypothalamic SF1 neurons.
- Sohn JW, Oh Y, Kim KW, Lee S, Williams KW, Elmquist JK Mol Metab 2016 Aug 5 8 669-79
- Motivation to Eat-AgRP Neurons and Homeostatic Need.
- Yang D, Liu T, Williams KW Cell Metab. 2015 Jul 22 1 62-3
- Melanocortin 4 receptors in autonomic neurons regulate thermogenesis and glycemia.
- Berglund ED, Liu T, Kong X, Sohn JW, Vong L, Deng Z, Lee CE, Lee S, Williams KW, Olson DP, Scherer PE, Lowell BB, Elmquist JK Nat. Neurosci. 2014 Jun
- Estradiol modulates Kiss1 Neuronal Response to Ghrelin.
- Frazao R, Dungan-Lemko H, Silva RP, Ratra DV, Lee CE, Williams KW, Zigman JM, Elias CF Am. J. Physiol. Endocrinol. Metab. 2014 Jan
- Serotonin 2C receptors in pro-opiomelanocortin neurons regulate energy and glucose homeostasis.
- Berglund ED, Liu C, Sohn JW, Liu T, Kim MH, Lee CE, Vianna CR, Williams KW, Xu Y, Elmquist JK J. Clin. Invest. 2013 Dec 123 12 5061-70
Honors & Awards
- Mentored Research Scientist Development Award
NIH-NIDDK (087780) (2010)
- Post-Doctoral Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award
NIH-NIDDK (DK077487) (2006)
- Senior Vice President's award for excellence in research and presentation by a graduate student
Tulane University - research days (2004)
- B.S. awarded with cum laude
The University of Texas at Dallas (1999)
- A.S. awarded with magna cum laude
Collin County Community College (1997)
- UTD Redman scholars program recipient
Redman Foundation Scholarship (1997)
- The Endocrine Society (2011)
- The Society for Neuroscience (2002)