Adam Brenner M.D is Professor of Psychiatry, Distinguished Teaching Professor, Director of Adult Psychiatry Residency Training, and Vice Chair for Education in Psychiatry. He is a graduate of Emory University, Magna Cum Laude in Philosophy. He attended Harvard Medical School and then completed his psychiatry residency at McLean Hospital. Dr. Brenner’s clinical focus is in treatment of anxiety and depressive disorders with a combination of psychoanalytic psychotherapy and psychopharmacology. His recent scholarly publications include “Listening: An Underlying Competency in Psychiatry Education” and “Revisiting the Biospsychosocial Formulation: Neuroscience, Social Science and the Patient’s Subjective Experience” both published in Academic Psychiatry. Dr. Brenner has served as Chair of the Psychotherapy Committee of the American Association of Directors of Psychotherapy Residency Training (AADPRT), Program Chair for the 20017 Annual Meeting, and serves on the Steering Committee of AADPRT as Secretary. Among his educational and teaching awards, he has been elected to the University Of Texas Academy of Health Science Educators and also received the University of Texas Regents’ Outstanding Teacher Award. A graduate of the Boston Psychoanalytic Institute, Dr. Brenner is on the faculty of the Dallas Psychoanalytic Center. Dr. Brenner also serves on the Collaborative Council of the Meadows Mental Health Policy Institute for Texas and is Associate Editor for Academic Psychiatry.
- Psychiatric Education
- Psychotherapy and Psychoanalysis
- Listening: An Underlying Competency in Psychiatry Education.
- Brenner AM Acad Psychiatry 2016 Nov
- Revisiting the Biopsychosocial Formulation: Neuroscience, Social Science, and the Patient's Subjective Experience.
- Brenner AM Acad Psychiatry 2016 Apr
- Supervising the Tearful Trainee: Opportunities for Professional Growth and Learning.
- Brenner AM Acad Psychiatry 2014 Mar
- Teaching Psychiatry Residents About Suicide Loss: Impact of an Educational Program.
- Jefee-Bahloul H, Hanna RC, Brenner AM Acad Psychiatry 2014 Mar
- Availability and Attitudes Toward Correctional Psychiatry Training: Results of a National Survey of Training Directors.
- Fuehrlein BS, Jha MK, Brenner AM, North CS J Behav Health Serv Res 2013 Apr
- The training of psychodynamic psychiatrists: the concept of "psychodynamic virtue".
- Brenner A, Khan F Psychodyn Psychiatry 2013 41 1 57-74
- Can we address the shortage of psychiatrists in the correctional setting with exposure during residency training?
- Fuehrlein BS, Jha MK, Brenner AM, North CS Community Ment Health J 2012 Dec 48 6 756-60
- Teaching supportive psychotherapy in the twenty-first century.
- Brenner AM Harv Rev Psychiatry 2012 Sep-Oct 20 5 259-67
- What medical students say about psychiatry: results of a reflection exercise.
- Brenner AM Acad Psychiatry 2011 May-Jun 35 3 196-8
- Uses and Limitations of Simulated Patients in Psychiatric Education
- Adam M. Brenner, M.D. Academic Psychiatry March 2009 33 112-119
Honors & Awards
- University of Texas Regents Outstanding Teacher Award
- Elected to membership in The University of Texas Kenneth I. Shine Academy of Health Science Education
- Nancy C. A. Roeske Certificate for Recognition of Excellence in Medical Student Education, American Psychiatric Association
- Elected to membership University of Texas Southwestern Academy of Teachers
- Irma Bland Award for Excellence in Teaching Residents, American Psychiatric Association
- Member, Board of Directors, Mental Health America of Dallas (2011)
- Member, Board of Directors, Dallas Psychoanalytic Center (2010)
- Executive Committee, North Texas Society of Psychiatric Physicians (2008)