Adam Brenner, M.D., is Professor of Psychiatry, Distinguished Teaching Professor, Director of Adult Psychiatry Residency Training, and Vice Chair for Education in Psychiatry. He is a graduate of Emory University, Magna Cum Laude in Philosophy. He attended Harvard Medical School and then completed his psychiatry residency at McLean Hospital. Dr. Brenner’s clinical focus is in the treatment of anxiety, depression, trauma, and personality disorders with a combination of psychoanalytic psychotherapy and psychopharmacology. His recent publications include “Listening: An Underlying Competency in Psychiatry Education” and “Training as a Psychiatrist When Having a Psychiatric Illness,” both published in Academic Psychiatry. Dr. Brenner serves on the Steering Committee of the American Association of Directors of Psychiatric Residency Training (AADPRT) as President. Among his educational honors, he has been elected to the University of Texas Academy of Health Science Educators, and he received the University of Texas Regents’ Outstanding Teacher Award and the Association for Academic Psychiatry’s Roberts Award for Inspirational Mentorship. A graduate of the Boston Psychoanalytic Institute, Dr. Brenner is on the faculty of the Dallas Psychoanalytic Center. Dr. Brenner is Editor-in-Chief for the journal Academic Psychiatry.
A partial listing of Dr. Brenner's publications can be found below, and a more complete listing is available to interested readers at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/myncbi/1FUz8FhlocnYkh/collections/58875399/public/.
- Medical School
- Harvard Medical School (1990)
- Harvard Medical School - McLean Hospital (1994), Psychiatry
- Psychiatric Education
- Psychotherapy and Psychoanalysis
- Training as a Psychiatrist When Having a Psychiatric Illness.
- Brenner AM, Balon R, Guerrero APS, Beresin EV, Coverdale JH, Louie AK, Roberts LW Acad Psychiatry 2018 Aug
- Listening: An Underlying Competency in Psychiatry Education.
- Brenner AM Acad Psychiatry 2016 Nov
- Supervising the Tearful Trainee: Opportunities for Professional Growth and Learning.
- Brenner AM Acad Psychiatry 2014 Mar
- An Update on Trainee Wellness: Some Progress and a Long Way to Go.
- Brenner AM, Coverdale J, Guerrero APS, Balon R, Beresin EV, Louie AK, Roberts LW, Acad Psychiatry 2019 Jun
- A Winning Case? Assessing the Effectiveness of a Mock Trial in a General Psychiatry Residency Program.
- Baker SE, Ogundipe K, Sterwald C, Van Enkevort EA, Brenner A, Acad Psychiatry 2019 Apr
- Time to Teach: Addressing the Pressure on Faculty Time for Education.
- Brenner AM, Beresin EV, Coverdale JH, Louie AK, Balon R, Guerrero APS, Roberts LW Acad Psychiatry 2017 Nov
- Psychiatry Workforce and Psychiatry Recruitment: Two Intertwined Challenges.
- Brenner AM, Balon R, Coverdale JH, Beresin EV, Guerrero AP, Louie AK, Roberts LW Acad Psychiatry 2017 Feb
- Teaching Medical Students and Residents about Homelessness: Complex, Evidence-Based, and Imperative.
- Brenner AM, Guerrero AP, Beresin EV, Coverdale JH, Balon R, Louie AK, Roberts LW Acad Psychiatry 2016 May
- Revisiting the Biopsychosocial Formulation: Neuroscience, Social Science, and the Patient's Subjective Experience.
- Brenner AM Acad Psychiatry 2016 Apr
- Teaching Psychiatry Residents About Suicide Loss: Impact of an Educational Program.
- Jefee-Bahloul H, Hanna RC, Brenner AM Acad Psychiatry 2014 Mar
Honors & Awards
- Roberts Award for Inspirational Mentorship in the Field of Academic Psychiatry
- University of Texas Regents Outstanding Teacher Award
- Elected to membership in The University of Texas Kenneth I. Shine Academy of Health Science Education
- Nancy C. A. Roeske Certificate for Recognition of Excellence in Medical Student Education, American Psychiatric Association
- Elected to membership University of Texas Southwestern Academy of Teachers
- Irma Bland Award for Excellence in Teaching Residents, American Psychiatric Association
- Editor-in-Chief, Academic Psychiatry (2019)
- President, American Association of Directors of Psychiatric Residency Training (2019-2020)
- Member, North Texas Society of Psychiatric Physicians (2007)
- Member, Dallas Psychoanalytic Center (2006)
- Member, Association for Academic Psychiatry (2005)
- Member, American Psychiatric Association (1996)