A 2007 graduate of the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Dr. Nelson completed his obstetrics and gynecology residency at the Parkland Health and Hospital System and the UT Southwestern Medical Center in 2011 and a fellowship in maternal-fetal medicine (MFM) at UT Southwestern in 2014. He joined the faculty of the Division of Maternal-Fetal Medicine in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology in 2014.
Dr. Nelson's clinical responsibilities are in the Parkland Health and Hospital System where he has served as Medical Director for the Prenatal Clinic System for Women and Infant Services since 2015. Board certified in obstetrics and gynecology as well as in the subspecialty of maternal-fetal medicine, Dr. Nelson is a contributing author of the textbook Williams Obstetrics.
- Medical School
- University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (2007)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2011), Obstetrics & Gynecology
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2014), Maternal Fetal Medicine
- Hemostatic dysfunction with acute fatty liver of pregnancy.
- Nelson DB, Yost NP, Cunningham FG Obstet Gynecol 2014 Jul 124 1 40-6
- Acute fatty liver of pregnancy: clinical outcomes and expected duration of recovery.
- Nelson DB, Yost NP, Cunningham FG Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 2013 Nov 209 5 456.e1-7
- Relationship of the length of the first stage of labor to the length of the second stage.
- Nelson DB, McIntire DD, Leveno KJ Obstet Gynecol 2013 Jul 122 1 27-32
- A Prospective Study of Postpartum Depression in 17,648 Parturients.
- Nelson DB, Freeman MP, Johnson NL, McIntire DD, Leveno KJ J. Matern. Fetal. Neonatal. Med. 2013 Feb
- Is preeclampsia associated with fetal malformation? A review and report of original research.
- Nelson DB, Chalak LF, McIntire DD, Leveno KJ J. Matern. Fetal. Neonatal. Med. 2014 Oct 1-24
- Does preeclampsia involve the pancreas? A report of original research.
- Nelson DB, Duraiswamy S, McIntire DD, Mayo MJ, Leveno KJ J. Matern. Fetal. Neonatal. Med. 2014 Jul 1-3
- Fetal skeletal dysplasias: sonographic indices associated with adverse outcomes.
- Nelson DB, Dashe JS, McIntire DD, Twickler DM J Ultrasound Med 2014 Jun 33 6 1085-90
- Obstetric Antecedents to Body Cooling Treatment of the Newborn Infant.
- Nelson DB, Lucke AM, McIntire DD, Sánchez PJ, Leveno KJ, Chalak LF Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 2014 Feb
- Placental pathology suggesting that preeclampsia is more than one disease.
- Nelson DB, Ziadie MS, McIntire DD, Rogers BB, Leveno KJ Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 2014 Jan 210 1 66.e1-7
- The obstetrical and neonatal impact of maternal opioid detoxification in pregnancy.
- Stewart RD, Nelson DB, Adhikari EH, McIntire DD, Roberts SW, Dashe JS, Sheffield JS Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 2013 May
Honors & Awards
- Outstanding Faculty Teacher - Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Dedman Family Scholar in Clinical Care
- Excellence in Gynecologic Surgery Award, UT Southwestern Medical Center
- Excellence in Obstetrics Award - UT Southwestern Medical Center
- Peggy J. Whalley Medicus Award, UT Southwestern Medical Center
- Academic Excellence Award, Highest CREOG Score, Third-year Resident, UT Southwestern
- Member of Alpha Omega Alpha