Roberta “Robin” Novakovic, M.D., is an Assistant Professor of Radiology, Neurology, and Neurotherapeutics at UT Southwestern Medical Center and serves as Director of the Parkland Neurointerventional Division. She attends patients at Parkland Memorial Hospital, Zale Lipshy and Clements University Hospitals.
Dr. Novakovic earned her medical degree at Rush Medical College and completed a residency in neurology at the University of Chicago Hospital, where she also completed a fellowship in neurocritical care and acute stroke. She then received advanced training in endovascular surgical neuroradiology through a fellowship at UT Southwestern. She joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2006.
Dr. Novakovic has co-authored papers in leading journals in neurocritical care, vascular neurology, and interventional radiology, as well as book chapters that serve as a resource for physicians on these topics. She serves as an ad hoc reviewer for Stroke Journal and Society of NeuroInterventional Surgery (SNIS) Journal and has been invited to speak at national and international meetings. She is active in ongoing clinical trials in order to offer the latest innovations to her patients and to help advance the field.
Dr. Novakovic also serves as a board member and committee member on several international societies, and she participates on national committees that help establish standards for neurocritical care and interventional neuroradiology. She is a member of the American Academy of Neurology, National Stroke Association, Neurocritical Care Society, American Stroke Association, Society of Vascular and Interventional Neurology, Society of NeuroInterventional Surgery, and the Endovascular & Interventional Neurology Section of the American Academy of Neurology.
- Medical School
- Rush Medical College (1999)
- Rush Presbyterian St. Lukes (2000), Internal Medicine
- University of Chicago Hospitals (2003), Neurology
- University of Illinois/Chicago Medical Center (2005), Neurocritical Care
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2008), Interventional Neuroradiology
- North American Solitaire Stent-Retriever Acute Stroke Registry: Choice of anesthesia and outcomes.
- Abou-Chebl A, Zaidat O, Castonguay A, Gupta R, Sun CH, Martin C, Holloway W, Mueller-Kronast N, English J, Linfante I, Dabus G, Malisch T, Marden F, Bozorgchami H, Xavier A, Froehler M, Badruddin A, Nguyen T, Taqi M, Abraham M, Janardhan V, Shaltoni H, Novakovic R, Yoo A, Chen P, Britz G, Kaushal R, Nanda A, Issa M, Nogueira R Stroke 2014 45(5):doi:10.1161/STROKEAHA.113.003698 (Epub ahead of print March 25, 2014)
- Balloon guide catheter improves revascularization and clinical outcomes with the Solitaire device: Analysis of the North American Solitaire Acute Stroke Registry.
- Nguyen TN, Malisch T, Castonguay AC, Gupta R, Sun CH, Martin CO, Holloway WE, Mueller-Kronast N, English JD, Linfante I, Dabus G, Marden FA, Bozorgchami H, Xavier A, Rai AT, Froehler MT, Badruddin A, Taqi M, Abraham MG, Janardhan V, Shaltoni H, Novakovic R, Yoo AJ, Abou-Chebl A, Chen PR, Britz GW, Kaushal R, Nanda A, Issa MA, Masoud H, Nogueira RG, Norbash AM, Zaidat OO Stroke 2014 45(1) 141-145
- Developing practice recommendations for endovascular revascularization for acute ischemic stroke.
- Lazzaro MA, Novakovic RL, Alexandrov AV, Darkhabani Z, Edgell RC, English J, Frei D, Jamieson DG, Janardhan V, Janjua N, Janjua RM, Katzan I, Khatri P, Kirmani JF, Liebeskind DS, Linfante I, Nguyen TN, Saver JL, Shutter L, Xavier A, Yavagal D, Zaidat OO Neurology 2012 79(13 Suppl 1) S243-255
- Retrievable stents, "stentrievers," for endovascular acute ischemic stroke therapy.
- Novakovic RL, Toth G, Narayanan S, Zaidat OO Neurology 2012 79(13 Suppl 1) S148-157
- Review of current and emerging therapies in acute ischemic stroke.
- Novakovic R, Toth G, Purdy PD Journal of Neurointerventional Surgery 2009 1(1) 13-26
- North American Solitaire Stent Retriever Acute Stroke Registry: Post-marketing revascularization and clinical outcome results.
- Zaidat OO, Castonguay AC, Gupta R, Sun CH, Martin C, Holloway WE, Mueller-Kronast N, English J, Linfante I, Dabus G, Malisch TW, Marden FA, Bozorgchami H, Xavier A, Rai AT, Froehler MT, Badruddin A, Nguyen TN, Taqi MA, Abraham MG, Janardhan V, Shaltoni H, Novakovic R, Yoo AJ, Abou-Chebl A, Chen PR, Britz GW, Kaushal R, Nanda A, Issa MA, Nogueira RG Journal of Neurointerventional Surgery 2013 doi:10.1136/neuintsurg-2013-010895 (Epub ahead of print, September 23, 2013)
- Intraventricular hemorrhage from ruptured aneurysm: Clinical characteristics, complications, and outcomes in a large, prospective multicenter study population.
- Rosen D, Macdonald RL, Huo D, Goldenberg FD, Novakovic RL, Frank JI, Rosengart AJ Journal of Neurosurgery 2007 107(2) 261-265
- Acute stroke teams and optimal management of acute stroke can improve outcome, a review of current guidelines.
- Novakovic RL, Toth G, Menon R, Maccioli GA Contemporary Critical Care 2007 5(3) 1-14
- Outcome in patients with subarachnoid hemorrhage treated with antiepileptic drugs.
- Rosengart AJ, Huo JD, Tolentino J, Novakovic RL, Frank JI, Goldenberg FD, Macdonald RL Journal of Neurosurgery 2007 107(2) 253-260
- Racial differences in demographics, acute complications, and outcomes in patients with subarachnoid hemorrhage: A large patient series.
- Rosen D, Novakovic RL, Goldenberg FD, Hou D, Baldwin ME, Frank JI, Rosengart AJ, Macdonald RL Journal of Neurosurgery 2005 103(1) 18-24
- Endovascular and Interventional Neurology Section of American Academy of Neurology (2013)
- Society of NeuroInterventional Surgery (2009)
- Society of Vascular and Interventional Neurology (2008)
- The American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology - Vascular Neurology Board Certification (2008)
- United Council for Neurologic Subspecialties - Neurocritical Care Subspecialty Certification (2007)
- American Stroke Association (2006)
- Neurocritical Care Society (2006)
- The American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology - Neurology Board Certification (2006)
- American Academy of Neurology (2000)