Roberta “Robin” Novakovic, M.D., is an Associate Professor of Radiology, Neurology, and Neurotherapeutics at UT Southwestern Medical Center, and a member of its Neuroradiology Division. She attends patients at Parkland Memorial Hospital, Zale Lipshy and Clements University Hospitals.
Dr. Novakovic earned her medical degree at Rush Medical College and completed a residency training program in neurology at the University of Chicago Hospital, where she also completed advanced training through a fellowship program in neurocritical care and acute stroke. She then completed additional advanced training in neuroendovascular surgery through a fellowship program at UT Southwestern, after which she joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2008.
Dr. Novakovic has co-authored papers in leading journals in the fields of neurocritical care, vascular neurology, and interventional neuroradiology; as well as book chapters that serve as a resource for physicians on these topics. She has participated in writing groups and committees developing training guidelines in her field, certification training modules and standards for quality improvement in neurology, stroke and stroke rehabilitation. She currently serves as the quality officer for the Peter O'Donnell Jr. Brain Institute.
Dr. Novakovic serves as an ad hoc reviewer for leading publications in her field, as well as on the editorial board for Interventional Neurology Journal. She has been invited to speak, moderate, chair sections and chair annual meeting committees at national and international meetings, including but not limited to the International Stroke Conference, Neurocritical Care Society, American Academy of Neurology, American Neurological Association, Society of Vascular and Interventional Neurology, and the Society of Neurointerventional Surgery. She is active in ongoing clinical trials in order to offer the latest innovations to her patients and to help advance the field.
Dr. Novakovic has a strong commitment to patient care and strives to improve stroke care nationally, internationally, as well as locally withing this region and throughout the state of Texas. She also serves as chair of the Stroke Committee of the North Central Texas Trauma Regional Advisory Council and as a member of the organization's board of directors, and as a member of the Governor's EMS and Trauma Advisory Council's Stroke Committee. She has served as a board member, executive board member and committee member for several international societies, earning a Distinguished Service Award along the way. She is an active member of the American Academy of Neurology, Neurocritical Care Society, American Stroke Association, Society of Vascular and Interventional Neurology, Society of NeuroInterventional Surgery, and the Endovascular and Interventional Neurology Section of the American Academy of Neurology.
- Medical School
- Rush Medical College (1999)
- Rush Presbyterian St. Lukes (2000), Internal Medicine
- University of Chicago Hospitals (2003), Neurology
- University of Illinois/Chicago Medical Center (2005), Neurocritical Care
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2008), Interventional Neuroradiology
- North American Solitaire Stent-Retriever Acute Stroke Registry: Choice of anesthesia and outcomes.
- Abou-Chebl A, Zaidat O, Castonguay A, Gupta R, Sun CH, Martin C, Holloway W, Mueller-Kronast N, English J, Linfante I, Dabus G, Malisch T, Marden F, Bozorgchami H, Xavier A, Froehler M, Badruddin A, Nguyen T, Taqi M, Abraham M, Janardhan V, Shaltoni H, Novakovic R, Yoo A, Chen P, Britz G, Kaushal R, Nanda A, Issa M, Nogueira R Stroke 2014 45(5):doi:10.1161/STROKEAHA.113.003698 (Epub ahead of print March 25, 2014)
- Balloon guide catheter improves revascularization and clinical outcomes with the Solitaire device: Analysis of the North American Solitaire Acute Stroke Registry.
- Nguyen TN, Malisch T, Castonguay AC, Gupta R, Sun CH, Martin CO, Holloway WE, Mueller-Kronast N, English JD, Linfante I, Dabus G, Marden FA, Bozorgchami H, Xavier A, Rai AT, Froehler MT, Badruddin A, Taqi M, Abraham MG, Janardhan V, Shaltoni H, Novakovic R, Yoo AJ, Abou-Chebl A, Chen PR, Britz GW, Kaushal R, Nanda A, Issa MA, Masoud H, Nogueira RG, Norbash AM, Zaidat OO Stroke 2014 45(1) 141-145
- Developing practice recommendations for endovascular revascularization for acute ischemic stroke.
- Lazzaro MA, Novakovic RL, Alexandrov AV, Darkhabani Z, Edgell RC, English J, Frei D, Jamieson DG, Janardhan V, Janjua N, Janjua RM, Katzan I, Khatri P, Kirmani JF, Liebeskind DS, Linfante I, Nguyen TN, Saver JL, Shutter L, Xavier A, Yavagal D, Zaidat OO Neurology 2012 79(13 Suppl 1) S243-255
- Retrievable stents, "stentrievers," for endovascular acute ischemic stroke therapy.
- Novakovic RL, Toth G, Narayanan S, Zaidat OO Neurology 2012 79(13 Suppl 1) S148-157
- Review of current and emerging therapies in acute ischemic stroke.
- Novakovic R, Toth G, Purdy PD Journal of Neurointerventional Surgery 2009 1(1) 13-26
- North American Solitaire Stent Retriever Acute Stroke Registry: Post-marketing revascularization and clinical outcome results.
- Zaidat OO, Castonguay AC, Gupta R, Sun CH, Martin C, Holloway WE, Mueller-Kronast N, English J, Linfante I, Dabus G, Malisch TW, Marden FA, Bozorgchami H, Xavier A, Rai AT, Froehler MT, Badruddin A, Nguyen TN, Taqi MA, Abraham MG, Janardhan V, Shaltoni H, Novakovic R, Yoo AJ, Abou-Chebl A, Chen PR, Britz GW, Kaushal R, Nanda A, Issa MA, Nogueira RG Journal of Neurointerventional Surgery 2013 doi:10.1136/neuintsurg-2013-010895 (Epub ahead of print, September 23, 2013)
- Intraventricular hemorrhage from ruptured aneurysm: Clinical characteristics, complications, and outcomes in a large, prospective multicenter study population.
- Rosen D, Macdonald RL, Huo D, Goldenberg FD, Novakovic RL, Frank JI, Rosengart AJ Journal of Neurosurgery 2007 107(2) 261-265
- Acute stroke teams and optimal management of acute stroke can improve outcome, a review of current guidelines.
- Novakovic RL, Toth G, Menon R, Maccioli GA Contemporary Critical Care 2007 5(3) 1-14
- Outcome in patients with subarachnoid hemorrhage treated with antiepileptic drugs.
- Rosengart AJ, Huo JD, Tolentino J, Novakovic RL, Frank JI, Goldenberg FD, Macdonald RL Journal of Neurosurgery 2007 107(2) 253-260
- Racial differences in demographics, acute complications, and outcomes in patients with subarachnoid hemorrhage: A large patient series.
- Rosen D, Novakovic RL, Goldenberg FD, Hou D, Baldwin ME, Frank JI, Rosengart AJ, Macdonald RL Journal of Neurosurgery 2005 103(1) 18-24
- Endovascular and Interventional Neurology Section of American Academy of Neurology (2013)
- Society of NeuroInterventional Surgery (2009)
- Society of Vascular and Interventional Neurology (2008)
- The American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology - Vascular Neurology Board Certification (2008)
- United Council for Neurologic Subspecialties - Neurocritical Care Subspecialty Certification (2007)
- American Stroke Association (2006)
- Neurocritical Care Society (2006)
- The American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology - Neurology Board Certification (2006)
- American Academy of Neurology (2000)