Cristel Camacho is an Assistant Professor in the Cecil H. and Ida Green Center for Reproductive Biology Sciences and Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Dr. Camacho received a B.S. in Biology from Hardin-Simmons University in 2005 and completed her graduate research on the genetic events underlying radiation-induced gliomagenesis in the laboratory of Dr. Sandeep Burma at UT Southwestern Medical Center in 2012. She completed her postdoctoral research on the tumorigenic impact of DNA repair deficiency in the developing central nervous system in the laboratory of Dr. Peter J. McKinnon at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN in 2017.
Her current research focuses on characterizing the molecular basis of breast cancer phenotypes with an emphasis on lncRNA and PARP biology in the laboratory of Dr. W. Lee Kraus.
- Hardin-Simmons University (2005), Biology
- Graduate School
- Univ of Tx Southwestern Med Ct (2012), Cancer Biology
- Cancer Biology
- Ribosome ADP-ribosylation inhibits translation and maintains proteostasis in cancers.
- Challa S, Khulpateea BR, Nandu T, Camacho CV, Ryu KW, Chen H, Peng Y, Lea JS, Kraus WL, Cell 2021 Jul
- Poly(ADP-ribose) Polymerase-1 Regulates Estrogen-Dependent Gene Expression in Estrogen Receptor a-Positive Breast Cancer Cells.
- Gadad SS, Camacho CV, Malladi V, Hutti CR, Nagari A, Kraus WL, Mol Cancer Res 2021 Jun
- Alternate therapeutic pathways for PARP inhibitors and potential mechanisms of resistance.
- Kim DS, Camacho CV, Kraus WL, Exp Mol Med 2021 Jan
- Functional Interplay between Histone H2B ADP-Ribosylation and Phosphorylation Controls Adipogenesis.
- Huang D, Camacho CV, Setlem R, Ryu KW, Parameswaran B, Gupta RK, Kraus WL, Mol Cell 2020 09 79 6 934-949.e14
- Activation of PARP-1 by snoRNAs Controls Ribosome Biogenesis and Cell Growth via the RNA Helicase DDX21.
- Kim DS, Camacho CV, Nagari A, Malladi VS, Challa S, Kraus WL, Mol. Cell 2019 Sep 75 6 1270-1285.e14
- Distinct Roles for BET Family Members in Estrogen Receptor a Enhancer Function and Gene Regulation in Breast Cancer Cells.
- Murakami S, Li R, Nagari A, Chae M, Camacho CV, Kraus WL, Mol Cancer Res 2019 12 17 12 2356-2368
- Long noncoding RNAs and cancer, an overview.
- Camacho CV, Choudhari R, Gadad SS, Steroids 2018 05 133 93-95
- DNA double-strand breaks cooperate with loss of Ink4 and Arf tumor suppressors to generate glioblastomas with frequent Met amplification.
- Camacho CV, Todorova PK, Hardebeck MC, Tomimatsu N, Gil Del Alcazar CR, Ilcheva M, Mukherjee B, McEllin B, Vemireddy V, Hatanpaa K, Story MD, Habib AA, Murty VV, Bachoo R, Burma S Oncogene 2014 Mar
- Phosphorylation of EXO1 by CDKs 1 and 2 regulates DNA end resection and repair pathway choice.
- Tomimatsu N, Mukherjee B, Catherine Hardebeck M, Ilcheva M, Vanessa Camacho C, Louise Harris J, Porteus M, Llorente B, Khanna KK, Burma S Nat Commun 2014 5 3561
- The dual PI3K/mTOR inhibitor NVP-BEZ235 is a potent inhibitor of ATM- and DNA-PKCs-mediated DNA damage responses.
- Mukherjee B, Tomimatsu N, Amancherla K, Camacho CV, Pichamoorthy N, Burma S Neoplasia 2012 Jan 14 1 34-43
Honors & Awards
- First Place RHIC & AGS Thesis Award, Brookhaven National Laboratory, 2013
- Outstanding Young Alumni Award, Hardin-Simmons University, 2016