Cristel Camacho is an Assistant Professor in the Cecil H. and Ida Green Center for Reproductive Biology Sciences and Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Dr. Camacho received a B.S. in Biology from Hardin-Simmons University in 2005 and completed her graduate research on the genetic events underlying radiation-induced gliomagenesis in the laboratory of Dr. Sandeep Burma at UT Southwestern Medical Center in 2012. She completed her postdoctoral research on the tumorigenic impact of DNA repair deficiency in the developing central nervous system in the laboratory of Dr. Peter J. McKinnon at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN in 2017.
Her current research focuses on characterizing the molecular basis of breast cancer phenotypes with an emphasis on lncRNA and PARP biology in the laboratory of Dr. W. Lee Kraus.
- Hardin-Simmons University (2005), Biology
- Graduate School
- Univ of Tx Southwestern Med Ct (2012), Cancer Biology
- Cancer Biology
- Alternate therapeutic pathways for PARP inhibitors and potential mechanisms of resistance.
- Kim DS, Camacho CV, Kraus WL, Exp Mol Med 2021 Jan
- Functional Interplay between Histone H2B ADP-Ribosylation and Phosphorylation Controls Adipogenesis.
- Huang D, Camacho CV, Setlem R, Ryu KW, Parameswaran B, Gupta RK, Kraus WL, Mol Cell 2020 09 79 6 934-949.e14
- Activation of PARP-1 by snoRNAs Controls Ribosome Biogenesis and Cell Growth via the RNA Helicase DDX21.
- Kim DS, Camacho CV, Nagari A, Malladi VS, Challa S, Kraus WL, Mol. Cell 2019 Sep 75 6 1270-1285.e14
- Distinct Roles for BET Family Members in Estrogen Receptor a Enhancer Function and Gene Regulation in Breast Cancer Cells.
- Murakami S, Li R, Nagari A, Chae M, Camacho CV, Kraus WL, Mol Cancer Res 2019 12 17 12 2356-2368
- Long noncoding RNAs and cancer, an overview.
- Camacho CV, Choudhari R, Gadad SS, Steroids 2018 05 133 93-95
- DNA double-strand breaks cooperate with loss of Ink4 and Arf tumor suppressors to generate glioblastomas with frequent Met amplification.
- Camacho CV, Todorova PK, Hardebeck MC, Tomimatsu N, Gil Del Alcazar CR, Ilcheva M, Mukherjee B, McEllin B, Vemireddy V, Hatanpaa K, Story MD, Habib AA, Murty VV, Bachoo R, Burma S Oncogene 2014 Mar
- Phosphorylation of EXO1 by CDKs 1 and 2 regulates DNA end resection and repair pathway choice.
- Tomimatsu N, Mukherjee B, Catherine Hardebeck M, Ilcheva M, Vanessa Camacho C, Louise Harris J, Porteus M, Llorente B, Khanna KK, Burma S Nat Commun 2014 5 3561
- The dual PI3K/mTOR inhibitor NVP-BEZ235 is a potent inhibitor of ATM- and DNA-PKCs-mediated DNA damage responses.
- Mukherjee B, Tomimatsu N, Amancherla K, Camacho CV, Pichamoorthy N, Burma S Neoplasia 2012 Jan 14 1 34-43
- Loss of p15/Ink4b accompanies tumorigenesis triggered by complex DNA double-strand breaks.
- Camacho CV, Mukherjee B, McEllin B, Ding LH, Hu B, Habib AA, Xie XJ, Nirodi CS, Saha D, Story MD, Balajee AS, Bachoo RM, Boothman DA, Burma S Carcinogenesis 2010 Oct 31 10 1889-96
- PTEN loss compromises homologous recombination repair in astrocytes: implications for glioblastoma therapy with temozolomide or poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase inhibitors.
- McEllin B, Camacho CV, Mukherjee B, Hahm B, Tomimatsu N, Bachoo RM, Burma S Cancer Res. 2010 Jul 70 13 5457-64
Honors & Awards
- First Place RHIC & AGS Thesis Award, Brookhaven National Laboratory, 2013
- Outstanding Young Alumni Award, Hardin-Simmons University, 2016