Cristel Camacho is an Assistant Professor in the Cecil H. and Ida Green Center for Reproductive Biology Sciences and Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Dr. Camacho received a B.S. in Biology from Hardin-Simmons University in 2005 and completed her graduate research on the genetic events underlying radiation-induced gliomagenesis in the laboratory of Dr. Sandeep Burma at UT Southwestern Medical Center in 2012. She completed her postdoctoral research on the tumorigenic impact of DNA repair deficiency in the developing central nervous system in the laboratory of Dr. Peter J. McKinnon at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN in 2017.
Her current research focuses on characterizing the molecular basis of breast cancer phenotypes with an emphasis on PARP biology.
- Hardin-Simmons University (2005), Biology
- Graduate School
- Univ of Tx Southwestern Med Ct (2012), Cancer Biology
- Cancer Biology
- Oncohistone Mutations Occur at Functional Sites of Regulatory ADP-ribosylation.
- Huang D, Camacho CV, Martire S, Nagari A, Setlem R, Gong X, Edwards AD, Chiu SP, Banaszynski LA, Kraus WL, Cancer Res 2022 Apr
- Poly(ADP-ribose) Polymerase-1 Regulates Estrogen-Dependent Gene Expression in Estrogen Receptor a-Positive Breast Cancer Cells.
- Gadad SS, Camacho CV, Malladi V, Hutti CR, Nagari A, Kraus WL, Mol Cancer Res 2021 Jun
- Simultaneous Nbs1 and p53 inactivation in neural progenitors triggers High-Grade Gliomas (HGG).
- Reuss DE, Downing SM, Camacho CV, Wang YD, Piro RM, Herold-Mende C, Wang ZQ, Hofmann TG, Sahm F, von Deimling A, McKinnon PJ, Frappart PO, Neuropathol Appl Neurobiol 2023 Jun e12915
- Functional Characterization of lncRNA152 as an Angiogenesis-Inhibiting Tumor Suppressor in Triple-Negative Breast Cancers.
- Kim DS, Camacho CV, Setlem R, Kim K, Malladi S, Hou TY, Nandu T, Gadad SS, Kraus WL, Mol Cancer Res 2022 Aug
- Development and characterization of new tools for detecting poly(ADP-ribose) in vitro and in vivo.
- Challa S, Ryu KW, Whitaker AL, Abshier JC, Camacho CV, Kraus WL, Elife 2022 Apr 11
- Ribosome ADP-ribosylation inhibits translation and maintains proteostasis in cancers.
- Challa S, Khulpateea BR, Nandu T, Camacho CV, Ryu KW, Chen H, Peng Y, Lea JS, Kraus WL, Cell 2021 Jul
- Alternate therapeutic pathways for PARP inhibitors and potential mechanisms of resistance.
- Kim DS, Camacho CV, Kraus WL, Exp Mol Med 2021 Jan
- Functional Interplay between Histone H2B ADP-Ribosylation and Phosphorylation Controls Adipogenesis.
- Huang D, Camacho CV, Setlem R, Ryu KW, Parameswaran B, Gupta RK, Kraus WL, Mol Cell 2020 09 79 6 934-949.e14
- Distinct Roles for BET Family Members in Estrogen Receptor a Enhancer Function and Gene Regulation in Breast Cancer Cells.
- Murakami S, Li R, Nagari A, Chae M, Camacho CV, Kraus WL, Mol Cancer Res 2019 12 17 12 2356-2368
- Activation of PARP-1 by snoRNAs Controls Ribosome Biogenesis and Cell Growth via the RNA Helicase DDX21.
- Kim DS, Camacho CV, Nagari A, Malladi VS, Challa S, Kraus WL, Mol. Cell 2019 Sep 75 6 1270-1285.e14
Honors & Awards
- First Place RHIC & AGS Thesis Award, Brookhaven National Laboratory, 2013
- Outstanding Young Alumni Award, Hardin-Simmons University, 2016