I started my neuroscience training by recording in vivo sympathetic nerve discharge activities in rats. My early publications during my PhD were to address “the effects of cannabinoids on the central regulation of cardiovascular function”. I received a scholarship from the British Council and joined a research team of excellent electrophysiologists at Neuroscience Institute in Dundee, Scotland. There I worked in the labs of Dr Andy Irving and Dr Jeremy Lambert. During that time, I was investigating the role of satiety hormone leptin on hippocampal learning and memory and trying to elucidate the mechanisms of barbiturates on thalamo-cortical functions such as sleep and general anesthesia. As a postdoc I focused on in vitro slice electrophysiology and studied hippocampal synaptic plasticity and GABAergic currents. Currently I’m working at the Translational Neurodegeneration Research Center and we are studying the effects of ApoE and its receptors in the pathogenesis of Neurodegenerative Disease including aging, Alzheimer`s Disease, autism and epilepsy.
- Medical School
- Hacettepe University (1996), Medicine
- Graduate School
- Hacettepe University (2003), Pharmacology
- ALZHEIMER`S DISEASE
- APOE RECEPTORS
- Reversal of ApoE4 induced recycling block as a novel prevention approach for Alzheimer's disease.
- Xian X, Pohlkamp T, Durakoglugil MS, Wong CH, Beck JK, Lane-Donovan C, Plattner F, Herz J Elife 2018 Oct 7
- Genetic Restoration of Plasma ApoE Improves Cognition and Partially Restores Synaptic Defects in ApoE-Deficient Mice.
- Lane-Donovan C, Wong WM, Durakoglugil MS, Wasser CR, Jiang S, Xian X, Herz J J. Neurosci. 2016 Sep 36 39 10141-50
- Reelin protects against amyloid ß toxicity in vivo.
- Lane-Donovan C, Philips GT, Wasser CR, Durakoglugil MS, Masiulis I, Upadhaya A, Pohlkamp T, Coskun C, Kotti T, Steller L, Hammer RE, Frotscher M, Bock HH, Herz J Sci Signal 2015 8 384 ra67
- Lrp4 domains differentially regulate limb/brain development and synaptic plasticity.
- Pohlkamp T, Durakoglugil M, Lane-Donovan C, Xian X, Johnson EB, Hammer RE, Herz J PLoS ONE 2015 10 2 e0116701
- Differential splicing and glycosylation of Apoer2 alters synaptic plasticity and fear learning.
- Wasser CR, Masiulis I, Durakoglugil MS, Lane-Donovan C, Xian X, Beffert U, Agarwala A, Hammer RE, Herz J Sci Signal 2014 7 353 ra113
- Reelin mobilizes a VAMP7-dependent synaptic vesicle pool and selectively augments spontaneous neurotransmission.
- Bal M, Leitz J, Reese AL, Ramirez DM, Durakoglugil M, Herz J, Monteggia LM, Kavalali ET Neuron 2013 Nov 80 4 934-46
- ApoE4 reduces glutamate receptor function and synaptic plasticity by selectively impairing ApoE receptor recycling.
- Chen Y, Durakoglugil MS, Xian X, Herz J Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2010 Jun 107 26 12011-6
- Reelin signaling antagonizes beta-amyloid at the synapse.
- Durakoglugil MS, Chen Y, White CL, Kavalali ET, Herz J Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2009 Sep 106 37 15938-43
- Cannabinoid receptor activation in the nucleus tractus solitaries produces baroreflex-like responses in the rat.
- Durakoglugil MS, Orer HS Int J Biomed Sci 2008 Sep 4 3 229-37
- Developmental maturation of synaptic and extrasynaptic GABAA receptors in mouse thalamic ventrobasal neurones.
- Peden DR, Petitjean CM, Herd MB, Durakoglugil MS, Rosahl TW, Wafford K, Homanics GE, Belelli D, Fritschy JM, Lambert JJ J. Physiol. (Lond.) 2008 Feb 586 4 965-87