- The Liu lab is broadly interested in how epithelial tissues sense and respond to injury. Similar to pathogen infection, tissue injury is an ancient and universal insult that disrupts homeostasis. Prompt sensing and repair of the injury is essential for organismal health and survival. Her lab will combine biochemistry and mouse genetics to understand tissue repair through in-depth probing of molecular & cellular mechanisms, to better understand the associated pathologies such as cancer.
- A tissue injury sensing and repair pathway distinct from host pathogen defense
- Liu S, Hur YH, Cai X, Cong Q, Yang Y, Xu C, Bilate AM, Gonzales KAU, Parigi SM, Cowley C, Hurwitz B, Luo JD, Tseng T, Gur-Cohen S, Sribour M, Omelchenko T, Levorse J, Pasoli HA, Thompson CB, Mucida D, and Fuchs E. Cell 2023 10 186 2127-2143
- Impaired Epidermal to Dendritic T Cell Signaling Slows Wound Repair in Aged Skin.
- Keyes BE, Liu S, Asare A, Naik S, Levorse J, Polak L, Lu CP, Nikolova M, Pasolli HA, Fuchs E Cell 2016 Nov 167 5 1323-1338.e14
- Phosphorylation of innate immune adaptor proteins MAVS, STING, and TRIF induces IRF3 activation.
- Liu S, Cai X, Wu J, Cong Q, Chen X, Li T, Du F, Ren J, Wu Y, Grishin N, Chen ZJ Science 2015 Jan
- MAVS recruits multiple ubiquitin E3 ligases to activate antiviral signaling cascades.
- Liu S, Chen J, Cai X, Wu J, Chen X, Wu YT, Sun L, Chen ZJ, Elife 2013 Aug 2 e00785
- Stem cells expand potency and alter tissue fitness by accumulating diverse epigenetic memories.
- Gonzales KAU, Polak L, Matos I, Tierney MT, Gola A, Wong E, Infarinato NR, Nikolova M, Luo S, Liu S, Novak JSS, Lay K, Pasolli HA, Fuchs E, Science 2021 11 374 6571 eabh2444
- Prion-like Polymerization Underlies Signal Transduction in Antiviral Immune Defense and Inflammasome Activation.
- Cai X, Chen J, Xu H, Liu S, Jiang QX, Halfmann R, Chen ZJ Cell 2014 Mar 156 6 1207-22
- Expanding role of ubiquitination in NF-κB signaling.
- Liu S, Chen ZJ, Cell Res 2011 Jan 21 1 6-21
- SnapShot: pathways of antiviral innate immunity.
- Sun L, Liu S, Chen ZJ, Cell 2010 Feb 140 3 436-436.e2
- Key role of Ubc5 and lysine-63 polyubiquitination in viral activation of IRF3.
- Zeng W, Xu M, Liu S, Sun L, Chen ZJ, Mol Cell 2009 Oct 36 2 315-25
- Munc18-1 binds directly to the neuronal SNARE complex.
- Dulubova I, Khvotchev M, Liu S, Huryeva I, Südhof TC, Rizo J Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2007 Feb 104 8 2697-702
Honors & Awards
- CPRIT Scholar (Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas)
- Endowed Scholar in Medical Science
- K99/R00 NIH Pathway to Independence Award
- Jane Coffin Childs Postdoctoral Fellowship
- Rockefeller University Women and Science Fellowship