Rashmin Savani was born in Masaka, Uganda, received his primary education there,and then completed schooling at King Edward VII School in Sheffield, England (1977). He obtained his medical degree from the University of Sheffield (1982). He undertook internships in Internal Medicine, General Surgery and Obstetrics & Gynecology from 1982 to 1984. He was a pediatric resident at Duke University Medical Center (1984-1987) and a fellow in Neonatology (1987-1989) and in Pulmonary Biology (1989-1991) at Cincinnati Children’s Medical Center. He then moved to the University of Manitoba and Winnipeg Children’s Hospital where he was an Assistant Professor of Pediatrics in the Section of Neonatology (1991-1996). He undertook further postgraduate training in Cell & Molecular Biology at the Manitoba Institute of Cell Biology (1991-1994) after which he had an independent laboratory at the Institute. He was recruited to the University of Pennsylvania and Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (1996-2006) and rose to the rank of Associate Professor with Tenure in 2002. His research focus has been on lung injury and development, including inflammation and angiogenesis. He has maintained continuous extramural funding since 1998. Dr. Savani moved from CHOP/PENN in 2006 to become Professor of Pediatrics. He was awarded the William Buchanan Chair in Pediatrics in 2006 and is currently Division Director of Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine and Associate Director of Pulmonary & Vascular Biology in the Department of Pediatrics.
- Medical School
- The University of Sheffield Medical School (1982)
- Royal Hallamshire Hospital (1983), Internal Medicine
- Northern General Hospital (1983), General Surgery
- Peterborough District Hospital (1984), Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Duke University Medical Center (1987), Pediatrics
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center (1991), Neonatal-perinatal Medicine
- University of Manitoba (1994), Cell Biology
- Alveolar surfactant protein D content modulates bleomycin-induced lung injury.
- Casey J, Kaplan J, Atochina-Vasserman EN, Gow AJ, Kadire H, Tomer Y, Fisher JH, Hawgood S, Savani RC, Beers MF Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 2005 Oct 172 7 869-77
- Comfort care of neonates at the end of life.
- Stringer M, Shaw VD, Savani RC Neonatal Netw 2004 Sep-Oct 23 5 41-6
- Morphine enhances HIV infection of neonatal macrophages.
- Li Y, Merrill JD, Mooney K, Song L, Wang X, Guo CJ, Savani RC, Metzger DS, Douglas SD, Ho WZ Pediatr. Res. 2003 Aug 54 2 282-8
- Heterogeneity of claudin expression by alveolar epithelial cells.
- Wang F, Daugherty B, Keise LL, Wei Z, Foley JP, Savani RC, Koval M Am. J. Respir. Cell Mol. Biol. 2003 Jul 29 1 62-70
- Midkine: a potential bridge between glucocorticoid and retinoid effects on lung vascular development.
- Morrisey EE, Savani RC Am. J. Respir. Cell Mol. Biol. 2003 Jan 28 1 5-8
- Serotonin mechanisms in heart valve disease I: serotonin-induced up-regulation of transforming growth factor-beta1 via G-protein signal transduction in aortic valve interstitial cells.
- Jian B, Xu J, Connolly J, Savani RC, Narula N, Liang B, Levy RJ Am. J. Pathol. 2002 Dec 161 6 2111-21
- Induction of the hyaluronic acid-binding protein, tumor necrosis factor-stimulated gene-6, in cervical smooth muscle cells by tumor necrosis factor-alpha and prostaglandin E(2).
- Fujimoto T, Savani RC, Watari M, Day AJ, Strauss JF Am. J. Pathol. 2002 Apr 160 4 1495-502
- Human surfactant protein B promoter in transgenic mice: temporal, spatial, and stimulus-responsive regulation.
- Strayer M, Savani RC, Gonzales LW, Zaman A, Cui Z, Veszelovszky E, Wood E, Ho YS, Ballard PL Am. J. Physiol. Lung Cell Mol. Physiol. 2002 Mar 282 3 L394-404
Modulators of inflammation in Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia. In Seminars in Perinatology
Savani RC (2018). Elsevier, Inc; 459-470
Molecular Basis for Lung Development, Injury and Repair. In The Newborn Lung, 3rd ed, Bancalari E, Keszler M, Davis PG, eds.
Wu S, Savani RC (2018). Philadelphia, PA, Elsevier; 3-29
The Biochemistry of Endothelial Cells. In Parent RA, ed. Comparative Biology of the Lung. 2nd ed.
Savani RC. (2015). Academic Press; 375-386.
Hyaluronan and Its Receptors in Lung Health and Disease. In Garg HG, Roughley PJ, Hales CA, eds. Lung Biology in Health and Disease Series: Proteoglycans in Lung Disease.
Savani RC, DeLisser HM. (2002). CRC Press; 73-106.
Honors & Awards
- Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award
Marquis Whos Who Publications Board (2017-2018)
- Texas Super Doctors
Texas Monthly (2015-2018)
- Invited membership, International Perinatal Collegium
- Best Doctors in America
- Perinatal Physician Excellence Award
March of Dimes, Texas (2010)
- Honorary Masters of Arts
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2002)
- Young Investigator Award, Perinatal Pediatrics
American Academy of Pediatrics (1998)
- Young Investigator Award, Basic Science
Eastern Society for Pediatric Research (1997)
- American Pediatric Society, Member (2005)
- American Physiological Society, Member (2005-2010)
- American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Member (2005-2010)
- The International Society for Hyaluronan Science, Member of the Board (2004)
- Perinatal Research Society, Member (1999)
- Society for Pediatric Research, Member (1999)