Rashmin Savani was born in Masaka, Uganda, received his primary education there,and then completed schooling at King Edward VII School in Sheffield, England (1977). He obtained his medical degree from the University of Sheffield (1982). He undertook internships in Internal Medicine, General Surgery and Obstetrics & Gynecology from 1982 to 1984. He was a pediatric resident at Duke University Medical Center (1984-1987) and a fellow in Neonatology (1987-1989) and in Pulmonary Biology (1989-1991) at Cincinnati Children’s Medical Center. He then moved to the University of Manitoba and Winnipeg Children’s Hospital where he was an Assistant Professor of Pediatrics in the Section of Neonatology (1991-1996). He undertook further postgraduate training in Cell & Molecular Biology at the Manitoba Institute of Cell Biology (1991-1994) after which he had an independent laboratory at the Institute. He was recruited to the University of Pennsylvania and Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (1996-2006) and rose to the rank of Associate Professor with Tenure in 2002. His research focus has been on lung injury and development, including inflammation and angiogenesis. He has maintained continuous extramural funding since 1998. Dr. Savani moved from CHOP/PENN in 2006 to become Professor of Pediatrics. He was awarded the William Buchanan Chair in Pediatrics in 2006 and is currently Division Director of Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine and Associate Director of Pulmonary & Vascular Biology in the Department of Pediatrics.
- Medical School
- The University of Sheffield Medical School (1982)
- Royal Hallamshire Hospital (1983), Internal Medicine
- Northern General Hospital (1983), General Surgery
- Peterborough District Hospital (1984), Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Duke University Medical Center (1987), Pediatrics
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center (1991), Neonatal-perinatal Medicine
- University of Manitoba (1994), Cell Biology
- Modulators of inflammation in Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia.
- Savani RC, Semin. Perinatol. 2018 11 42 7 459-470
- The receptor for hyaluronan-mediated motility (RHAMM) expression in neonatal bronchiolar epithelium correlates negatively with lung air content.
- Markasz L, Savani RC, Sedin G, Sindelar R Early Hum. Dev. 2018 Oct 127 58-68
- Maternal high-fat diet results in microbiota-dependent expansion of ILC3s in mice offspring.
- Babu ST, Niu X, Raetz M, Savani RC, Hooper LV, Mirpuri J JCI Insight 2018 Oct 3 19
- Fetal-placental crosstalk occurs through fetal cytokine synthesis and placental clearance.
- Mir IN, Chalak LF, Liao J, Johnson-Welch S, Brown LS, Longoria C, Savani RC, Rosenfeld CR Placenta 2018 Sep 69 1-8
- The Impact of Pulmonary Hypertension in Preterm Infants with Severe Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia through 1 Year.
- Lagatta JM, Hysinger EB, Zaniletti I, Wymore EM, Vyas-Read S, Yallapragada S, Nelin LD, Truog WE, Padula MA, Porta NFM, Savani RC, Potoka KP, Kawut SM, DiGeronimo R, Natarajan G, Zhang H, Grover TR, Engle WA, Murthy K J. Pediatr. 2018 Aug
- Impact of the Neonatal Resuscitation Program-Recommended Low Oxygen Strategy on Outcomes of Infants Born Preterm.
- Kapadia VS, Lal CV, Kakkilaya V, Heyne R, Savani RC, Wyckoff MH J. Pediatr. 2017 Dec 191 35-41
- Inter-center variation in death or tracheostomy placement in infants with severe bronchopulmonary dysplasia.
- Murthy K, Porta NF, Lagatta JM, Zaniletti I, Truog WE, Grover TR, Nelin LD, Savani RC J Perinatol 2017 Feb
- Hyaluronan mediates ozone-induced airway hyperresponsiveness in mice.
- Garantziotis S, Li Z, Potts EN, Kimata K, Zhuo L, Morgan DL, Savani RC, Noble PW, Foster WM, Schwartz DA, Hollingsworth JW J. Biol. Chem. 2016 Sep 291 37 19257-8
- Intercenter Cost Variation for Perinatal Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy in the Era of Therapeutic Hypothermia.
- Massaro AN, Murthy K, Zaniletti I, Cook N, DiGeronimo R, Dizon ML, Hamrick SE, McKay VJ, Natarajan G, Rao R, Richardson T, Smith D, Mathur AM J. Pediatr. 2016 Mar
- Deletion of Hyaluronan Synthase 3 Inhibits Neointimal Hyperplasia.
- Kiene LS, Homann S, Suvorava T, Rabausch B, Müller J, Kojda G, Kretschmer I, Twarock S, Dai G, Deenen R, Hartwig S, Lehr S, Köhrer K, Savani RC, Grandoch M, Fischer JW Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 2015 Nov
Modulators of inflammation in Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia. In Seminars in Perinatology
Savani RC (2018). Elsevier, Inc; 459-470
Molecular Basis for Lung Development, Injury and Repair. In The Newborn Lung, 3rd ed, Bancalari E, Keszler M, Davis PG, eds.
Wu S, Savani RC (2018). Philadelphia, PA, Elsevier; 3-29
The Biochemistry of Endothelial Cells. In Parent RA, ed. Comparative Biology of the Lung. 2nd ed.
Savani RC. (2015). Academic Press; 375-386.
Hyaluronan and Its Receptors in Lung Health and Disease. In Garg HG, Roughley PJ, Hales CA, eds. Lung Biology in Health and Disease Series: Proteoglycans in Lung Disease.
Savani RC, DeLisser HM. (2002). CRC Press; 73-106.
Honors & Awards
- Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award
Marquis Whos Who Publications Board (2017-2018)
- Texas Super Doctors
Texas Monthly (2015-2018)
- Invited membership, International Perinatal Collegium
- Best Doctors in America
- Perinatal Physician Excellence Award
March of Dimes, Texas (2010)
- Honorary Masters of Arts
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2002)
- Young Investigator Award, Perinatal Pediatrics
American Academy of Pediatrics (1998)
- Young Investigator Award, Basic Science
Eastern Society for Pediatric Research (1997)
- American Pediatric Society, Member (2005)
- American Physiological Society, Member (2005-2010)
- American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Member (2005-2010)
- The International Society for Hyaluronan Science, Member of the Board (2004)
- Perinatal Research Society, Member (1999)
- Society for Pediatric Research, Member (1999)