Michael Van Hal, M.D., is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at UT Southwestern Medical Center and is an orthopaedic spine surgeon at UT Southwestern’s Multidisciplinary Spine Center.
He earned his medical degree at UT Southwestern Medical Center and completed two separate residencies in orthopaedic surgery, first at the Keck School of Medicine of USC and later at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. He then received advanced training in spine surgery through a fellowship at Harvard Medical School and the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.
Dr. Van Hal is a member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and the North American Spine Society. In 2010 he received the Ho Din Award, an honor that recognizes unique personal qualities in physicians.
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2010)
- Keck School of Medicine of USC (2011), Orthopedic Surgery
- Keck School of Medicine of USC (2011)
- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (2015), Orthopedic Surgery
- Harvard Medical School/Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (2016), Spine Surgery
- Consulting Services, DePuy Synthes, Raytham, MA Post Cervical Lab
- Vancomycin Powder Regimen for Prevention of Surgical Site Infection in Complex Spine Surgeries.
- Van Hal M, Lee J, Laudermilch D, Nwasike C, Kang J Clin Spine Surg 2017 Mar
- Functional outcomes in elderly patients with acetabular fractures treated with minimally invasive reduction and percutaneous fixation.
- Gary JL, VanHal M, Gibbons SD, Reinert CM, Starr AJ J Orthop Trauma 2012 May 26 5 278-83
- Factors influencing oxygen store during denitrogenation in the healthy patient.
- Sum Ping SJ, Makary LF, Van Hal MD J Clin Anesth 2009 May 21 3 183-9
Case Files: Orthopaedic Surgery. In Cervical Radiculopathy
Van Hal M (2013). New York, McGraw Hill
The Poly-Traumatized Patient with Fractures: A Multi-Disciplinary Approach. In Vertebral Column Fractures
Jackson, K, Van hal M, Lee J, Kang J (2015). Berlin, Springer
Honors & Awards
- LEAD Program
Program for Emerging Leaders in Academic Departments (2017)
- Ho Din Award,
an honor that recognizes unique personal qualities in physicians (2010)
- Alpha Omega Alpha
Honor Society UT Southwestern Medical Center, inducted as a Junior (2009)
- American Society of Clinical Pathologist Award
for Academic Achievement in Pathology (2008)
- UT Southwestern medical Student Summer Research Grant/Fellow
Clinical research on the Pharmacodynamics and role of deximedetomidine in anesthesia (2007)
- UT Southwestern Medical Student Summer Research Grant/Fellow
Demonstrating the rol eof DJ-1 and Parkin expression patterns in mice models of Parkinson's Disease (2006)
- North American Spine Society (2018)
- Dallas County Medical Society (2017)
- Texas Medical Association (2017)
- Texas Orthopaedic Association (2017)
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery (AAOS) (2016)