Dr Ahmad Raza is Professor of Psychiatry at UT Southwestern Medical School. Besides being an MD he completed his PhD in Pharmacology and Residency in General Psychiatry. Dr Raza was Instructor and later Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, Columbia University New York from 1994 to 1996 and 1998 to 2005. He joined as faculty at UT Southwestern in 2005, was Director of Inpatient unit and ECT program at Zale Lipshy University Hospital until 2016. He currently works at the faculty clinic with primary focus on Obsessive Compulsive and Anxiety Disorders. He has special interest and expertise in Psychopharmacology
- Southern Illinois University (1990), Pharmacology
- Albert Einstein College of Medicine/Jacobi Medical Center (1992), Psychiatry
- Albert Einstein College of Medicine/Jacobi Medical Center (1994), Psychiatry
- Anxiety Disorders
- Electroconvulsive Therapy
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- A Novel Strategy for Continuation ECT in Geriatric Depression: Phase 2 of the PRIDE Study.
- Kellner CH, Husain MM, Knapp RG, McCall WV, Petrides G, Rudorfer MV, Young RC, Sampson S, McClintock SM, Mueller M, Prudic J, Greenberg RM, Weiner RD, Bailine SH, Rosenquist PB, Raza A, Kaliora S, Latoussakis V, Tobias KG, Briggs MC, Liebman LS, Geduldig ET, Teklehaimanot AA, Dooley M, Lisanby SH Am J Psychiatry 2016 Jul appiajp201616010118
- Right Unilateral Ultrabrief Pulse ECT in Geriatric Depression: Phase 1 of the PRIDE Study.
- Kellner CH, Husain MM, Knapp RG, McCall WV, Petrides G, Rudorfer MV, Young RC, Sampson S, McClintock SM, Mueller M, Prudic J, Greenberg RM, Weiner RD, Bailine SH, Rosenquist PB, Raza A, Kaliora S, Latoussakis V, Tobias KG, Briggs MC, Liebman LS, Geduldig ET, Teklehaimanot AA, Lisanby SH Am J Psychiatry 2016 Jul appiajp201615081101
- Electroconvulsive therapy: How modern techniques improve patient outcomes: Refinements have decreased memory loss, other adverse effects while retaining efficacy: Refinements have decreased memory loss, other adverse effects while retaining efficacy.
- Tirmizi O, Raza A, Trevino K, Husain MM Curr Psychiatr 2012 Oct 11 10 24-46
- Comparative efficacy of risperidone and clozapine in the treatment of patients with refractory schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder: a retrospective analysis.
- Sharif ZA, Raza A, Ratakonda SS J Clin Psychiatry 2000 Jul 61 7 498-504
- Age-related changes in brainstem auditory neurotransmitters: measures of GABA and acetylcholine function.
- Raza A, Milbrandt JC, Arneric SP, Caspary DM Hear. Res. 1994 Jun 77 1-2 221-30
- Immunocytochemical and neurochemical evidence for age-related loss of GABA in the inferior colliculus: implications for neural presbycusis.
- Caspary DM, Raza A, Lawhorn Armour BA, Pippin J, Arneric SP J. Neurosci. 1990 Jul 10 7 2363-72
Honors & Awards
- Teacher of The Year Award
Psychiatry Residency Training (2008-2008)
- Dissertation Research Award
Southern Illinois University School of Medicine (1990-1990)
- Honors PhD Comprehensive Examination
Southern Ikkinois University School of Medicine (1988-1988)
- International OCD Foundation (2017)
- American Psychiatric Association (2015)