Hesham Sadek, M.D., Ph.D.
Endowed Title J. Fred Schoellkopf, Jr. Chair in Cardiology
Department Internal Medicine | Biophysics | Molecular Biology
Graduate Programs Genetics, Development and Disease
You have reached the Academic Profile.
For more information on the doctor and patient care, please visit the clinical profile.View Clinical Profile
Hesham A. Sadek, M.D., Ph.D., is a Professor in the in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center, and a member of its Division of Cardiology. He also serves as the Associate Director of the Center for Regenerative Science and Medicine. He specializes in general cardiology and cardiac imaging.
Dr. Sadek earned his medical degree at Ain Shams University School of Medicine in Cairo, Egypt, and his doctoral degree in physiology and biophysics at Case Western Reserve University. He completed both his residency in internal medicine and fellowship in cardiology at University Hospitals Cleveland. He also performed a postdoctoral research fellowship in cardiology at UT Southwestern.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in cardiovascular diseases, he joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2007.
Dr. Sadek’s research focus focuses on heart regeneration. Specifically, he and his team are interested in identifying methods to activate endogenous heart regeneration mechanisms in humans. He has delivered scores of presentations, published numerous academic articles, and contributed to books such as the fourth edition of Heart Failure: A Companion to Braunwald's Heart Disease. Dr. Sadek’s research is funded by grants from the NIH, AHA, CPRIT, and NASA among others.
He serves as Associate Editor of the journal Circulation and on the American Heart Association’s Scientific Sessions Planning Committee.
He’s a member of several professional organizations, including the American Medical Association, the American Heart Association, and the American College of Cardiology.
Among many other honors, in 2015 he received the AHA’s Established Investigator Award.
- Medical School
- Ain Shams University (1995)
- University Hospitals of Cleveland (2002), Internal Medicine
- Other Post Graduate Training
- Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine (2004)
- Graduate School
- Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine (2004), Physiology
- University Hospitals of Cleveland (2005), Cardiovascular Disease
- Research Fellowship
- Donald W. Reynolds Cardiovascular Clinical Research Center (2007), Cardiology
- Cardiac Regeneration
- Stem Cell Metabolism
- Hypoxia induces heart regeneration in adult mice.
- Nakada Y, Canseco DC, Thet S, Abdisalaam S, Asaithamby A, Santos CX, Shah A, Zhang H, Faber JE, Kinter MT, Szweda LI, Xing C, Deberardinis R, Oz O, Lu Z, Zhang CC, Kimura W, Sadek HA Nature 2016 Oct
- Hypoxia fate mapping identifies cycling cardiomyocytes in the adult heart.
- Kimura W, Xiao F, Canseco DC, Muralidhar S, Thet S, Zhang HM, Abdulrahman Y, Chen R, Garcia JA, Shelton JM, Richardson JA, Ashour AM, Asaithamby A, Liang H, Xing C, Lu Z, Zhang CC, Sadek HA Nature 2015 Jun
- The Oxygen-Rich Postnatal Environment Induces Cardiomyocyte Cell-Cycle Arrest through DNA Damage Response.
- Puente BN, Kimura W, Muralidhar SA, Moon J, Amatruda JF, Phelps KL, Grinsfelder D, Rothermel BA, Chen R, Garcia JA, Santos CX, Thet S, Mori E, Kinter MT, Rindler PM, Zacchigna S, Mukherjee S, Chen DJ, Mahmoud AI, Giacca M, Rabinovitch PS, Aroumougame A, Shah AM, Szweda LI, Sadek HA Cell 2014 Apr 157 3 565-79
- Meis1 regulates postnatal cardiomyocyte cell cycle arrest.
- Mahmoud AI, Kocabas F, Muralidhar SA, Kimura W, Koura AS, Thet S, Porrello ER, Sadek HA Nature 2013 Apr
- Transient Regenerative Potential of the Neonatal Mouse Heart
- Enzo R. Porrello, Ahmed I. Mahmoud, Emma Simpson, Joseph A. Hill, James A. Richardson, Eric N. Olson, and Hesham A. Sadek Science February 2011 25 February 2011: Vol. 33 no. 6020 pp. 1078-1080
- The distinct metabolic profile of hematopoietic stem cells reflects their location in a hypoxic niche.
- Simsek T, Kocabas F, Zheng J, Deberardinis RJ, Mahmoud AI, Olson EN, Schneider JW, Zhang CC, Sadek HA. Cell Stem Cell September 2010 2010 Sep 3;7(3) 380-90
- Identification of tetracycline combinations as EphB1 tyrosine kinase inhibitors for treatment of neuropathic pain.
- Ahmed MS, Wang P, Nguyen NUN, Nakada Y, Menendez-Montes I, Ismail M, Bachoo R, Henkemeyer M, Sadek HA, Kandil ES, Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2021 Mar 118 10
- Deep Learning Identifies Cardiomyocyte Nuclei With High Precision.
- Ali SR, Nguyen D, Wang B, Jiang S, Sadek HA, Circ Res 2020 Aug 127 5 696-698
- Homotypic Fusion Generates Multinucleated Cardiomyocytes in the Murine Heart.
- Ali SR, Menendez-Montes I, Warshaw J, Xiao F, Sadek HA, Circulation 2020 Jun 141 23 1940-1942
- Mechanism of Eccentric Cardiomyocyte Hypertrophy Secondary to Severe Mitral Regurgitation.
- Li S, Nguyen NUN, Xiao F, Menendez-Montes I, Nakada Y, Tan WLW, Anene-Nzelu CG, Foo RS, Thet S, Cardoso AC, Wang P, Elhelaly WM, Lam NT, Pereira AHM, Hill JA, Sadek HA, Circulation 2020 Jun 141 22 1787-1799
Honors & Awards
- American Heart Association Established Investigator Award
- American Society for Clinical Investigation
- J.Fred Schoellkopf, Jr. Chair in Cardiology
- American College of Cardiology Douglas P.Zipes Distinguished Young Scientist Award
- Gilead Sciences Research Scholars Program Cardiovascular Disease
- Northwestern Cardiovascular Young Investigator Award
- AHA Fellow to Faculty Transition Award
- Pfizer Global Research and Development scholarship (Keystone)
- AHA Young Investigator Award
- ACC, AHA