Dr. Anand Rohatgi grew up in Kenner, LA, a suburb of New Orleans (N’ Awlins). He went to Jesuit High School (Go Blue Jays!) and went on to Duke University (go Blue Devils!) where he obtained his B.S. in Biology in 1997 and his medical degree in 2002. He went on the University of Pennsylvania for Internal Medicine residency and then to UT Southwestern in 2005 for his cardiology fellowship. He did a research year in epidemiology under James de Lemos, MD, and then joined the faculty as an Assistant Professor in 2008.
Dr. Rohatgi is a Preventive Cardiologist and sees patients at risk for heart disease as well as those with premature ASCVD, family history, or abnormal testing suggesting increased ASCVD risk. He also interprets echocardiograms and rounds on inpatient CCU and consultative services. He is currently the Director of Academic Development, supervising the scholarly, non-clinical phase of fellowship, the clinical cardiology T32 program, and advising junior faculty in academic development. Dr. Rohatgi was promoted to Associate Professor in 2015 and has been supported by funding from the NHLBI, the AHA, and industry to support his endeavors.
Outside of his professional duties, Dr. Rohatgi loves spending time with his wife, Dr. Susan Matulevicius, also a cardiologist at UT Southwestern, his two boys, two dogs, guinea pig, and bird! He loves playing tennis, running, hiking, spending time in rural East Texas, and doing RV trips! He is a die-hard Duke Blue devil fan and New Orleans Saints fan. His favorite food is any type of seafood, especially crawfish, as well as Thai and Korean food.
- Medical School
- Duke University School of Medicine (2002)
- University of Pennsylvania Health System (2005), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2008), Cardiology
- Biomarkers for Atherosclerosis and Coronary Artery Disease
- High-density Lipoprotein
- Inflammation and Atherosclerosis
- Molecular Patterns of Extreme and Persistent Cholesterol Efflux Capacity.
- El-Ghazali A, Deodhar S, Saldanha S, Smyth B, Izbrand M, Gangwar A, Pahlavani M, Rohatgi A, Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2021 Oct 41 10 2588-2597
- HDL in the 21st Century: A Multifunctional Roadmap for Future HDL Research.
- Rohatgi A, Westerterp M, von Eckardstein A, Remaley A, Rye KA, Circulation 2021 Jun 143 23 2293-2309
- Effect of Anacetrapib on Cholesterol Efflux Capacity: A Substudy of the DEFINE Trial.
- Metzinger MP, Saldanha S, Gulati J, Patel KV, El-Ghazali A, Deodhar S, Joshi PH, Ayers C, Rohatgi A, J Am Heart Assoc 2020 12 9 24 e018136
- Value of Coronary Artery Calcium Scanning in Association With the Net Benefit of Aspirin in Primary Prevention of Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease.
- Ajufo E, Ayers CR, Vigen R, Joshi PH, Rohatgi A, de Lemos JA, Khera A, JAMA Cardiol 2020 Oct
- Associations Between High-Density Lipoprotein Particles and Ischemic Events by Vascular Domain, Sex, and Ethnicity: A Pooled Cohort Analysis.
- Singh K, Chandra A, Sperry T, Joshi PH, Khera A, Virani SS, Ballantyne CM, Otvos JD, Dullaart RPF, Gruppen EG, Connelly MA, Ayers CR, Rohatgi A, Circulation 2020 Aug 142 7 657-669
- HDL Cholesterol Efflux Capacity and Incident Cardiovascular Events.
- Rohatgi A, Khera A, Berry JD, Givens EG, Ayers CR, Wedin KE, Neeland IJ, Yuhanna IS, Rader DR, de Lemos JA, Shaul PW N. Engl. J. Med. 2014 Nov
- Stressing the Endothelium to Assess Localized Inflammatory Potential and the Risk for Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease.
- Rohatgi A, Circulation 2021 May 143 20 1946-1948
- Cholesterol efflux capacity and its association with prevalent metabolic syndrome in a multi-ethnic population (Dallas Heart Study).
- Akinmolayemi O, Saldanha S, Joshi PH, Deodhar S, Ayers CR, Neeland IJ, Rohatgi A, PLoS One 2021 16 9 e0257574
- Lipoprotein(a) and Family History Predict Cardiovascular Disease Risk.
- Mehta A, Virani SS, Ayers CR, Sun W, Hoogeveen RC, Rohatgi A, Berry JD, Joshi PH, Ballantyne CM, Khera A, J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2020 Aug 76 7 781-793
- Impaired HDL Metabolism Links GlycA, A Novel Inflammatory Marker, with Incident Cardiovascular Events.
- Riggs KA, Joshi PH, Khera A, Singh K, Akinmolayemi O, Ayers CR, Rohatgi A, J Clin Med 2019 Dec 8 12
Lipid Measurements. In Chronic Coronary Artery Disease: A Companion to Braunwald?s Heart Disease
Anand Rohatgi (2018). Elsevier
Honors & Awards
- Discovery Grant Awardee
American Heart Association Institute of Precision Medicine (2015)
- Young Investigator Award
American Association of Cardiologists of Indian Origin (2010)
- Council on Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology Travel Award for Young Investigators
- Finalist - Cardiovascular Young Investigator?s Forum
Northwestern University (2008)
- Outstanding Resident Teaching Award
- American Society of Preventive Cardiology (2019)
- American College of Cardiology
- American Heart Association
- Dallas County Medical Society
- National Lipid Association
- Texas Medical Association